Profile for William J. D. Johnstone > Reviews

Content by William J. D. ...

William J. D. Johnstone (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
DacMagic XS USB DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) / Headphone Amp
DacMagic XS USB DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) / Headphone Amp
Offered by Cambridge Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Volume control useful and sound excellent !!, 17 Sep 2014
I was debating whether to buy this or the Audioquest Dragonfly but in the end decided to go with this as my laptop has a very inconvenient volume control and the Dragonfly has no volume control whatsoever.
I'm very glad I did so as I find the DacMagic volume control very useful and its sound enhancement excellent, both in terms of clarity and volume.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 4:51 PM BST

The Google Story
The Google Story
by David A. Vise

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - little, if any, critical perspective., 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Google Story (Paperback)
This book is very disappointing - another reviewer uses the word "fanboy" and I agree.
There is little, if any, attempt to provide any significant critical perspective of the founders or of Google itself.
Whole sections of the book in fact read like public relations puff and the parts on the rivalry with Microsoft are very one-sided.
All in all, it's a very disappointing read !!

VEDONEIRE Mens Wax Jacket (3050) BURGUNDY maroon red motorcycle motorbike
VEDONEIRE Mens Wax Jacket (3050) BURGUNDY maroon red motorcycle motorbike
Offered by Vedoneire

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jacket - warm, stylish but practical !!, 9 April 2014
The title of my review says it all - I'm delighted with this jacket which is warm, stylish but practical.
The colour is great looking. It fits neatly over a thick winter jumper but has toggles to make it even slimmer when, for instance, wearing over only a shirt.
I also like the fact from a practical perspective that the jacket also has 3 inside pockets as well as the 4 external pockets.
Delivery was very speedy - only 2 days from ordering !!

VEDONEIRE Mens Quilted Jacket (3037) GREEN with leather trim quilt padded coat
VEDONEIRE Mens Quilted Jacket (3037) GREEN with leather trim quilt padded coat

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not great !!, 3 April 2014
I like this jacket very much but it just falls short of being a great jacket.
On styling alone, it's really excellent with the leather piping and the branding on the buttons adding a touch of class.
There are also ample pockets which are very useful for day to day practicalities.
It falls a little short on the design of the placket which is easy to get caught on the zip if you're not careful and, while it will be fine for spring/autumn, I doubt whether the jacket will be warm enough for very cold winter days.
Potential purchasers should also bear in mind that the jacket is a very deep olive colour indeed - so much so that it looks almost brown to my eye.
Delivery was lightning fast - received in Edinburgh from Dublin within 2 days of ordering !! Brilliant service !!

Last Seen in Bangkok
Last Seen in Bangkok

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read !!, 29 Jan 2014
Good story and excellent characters. Contrast between Bolton and Thailand is different and interesting. Author clearly knows his way around the Thai scene. Recommended.

Pulsar Gent's Analogue PS9047X1
Pulsar Gent's Analogue PS9047X1
Offered by Rubicon Watch Company Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly average watch., 12 Sep 2013
I must confess that to a large extent I bought this watch on the strength of the long glowing 5 star review it had previously received.

Now I'm beginning to wonder why anyone neutral would have taken the time to write such a long - and such a positive - review. Maybe I should have been more sceptical about its validity.

My opinion having had the watch for a couple of days is that it is distinctly average - it suffers from 2 major disadvantages in my opinion. Firstly, the colour of the minute and hour hands melds almost completely into the background colour of the dial making it very difficult to read at a glance. Secondly, Seiko's lumibrite system is not very good and definitely poor, for instance, in comparison to Timex's indiglo system. Yes the dial looks bright in the dark but once again the hands on this watch remain all but illegible.

I gave serious thought to returning the watch but in the end could not be bothered.

Potential buyers - especially the elderly whose eyesight might not be as good as in the past - beware !!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2013 5:32 PM BST

Sekonda Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black PU Strap 3345.71
Offered by WATCHDEAL

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Bargain at this price !!, 20 July 2013
At this price, this Sekonda watch is a fantastic bargain.

It feels solid and well build and looks great on the wrist with a very unusual design.

I'm delighted I spotted in when browsing Sekonda watches and even more pleased I decided to buy it !!

Timex Mens Expedition Trial Series green dial - T49699PF
Timex Mens Expedition Trial Series green dial - T49699PF

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and great value for money !!, 12 July 2013
Over the last few years I've bought a couple of Timex Expedition watches and find them very hard-wearing excellent time-keepers at a reasonable price - with the added bonus of the Indiglo light for night.

This is a very unusual and stylish watch - the combination of a slightly burnished brown case, dark green face and brown strap looks really great.

The strap is very soft and comfortable to wear. Also the ticking does not seem to be as loud and pronounced as with other Timex watches.

Great value for money !!

Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Virgin Super Hub, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater (Accessory)
I bought this little gadget on the back of reviews which stated that it worked well with the Virgin Super Hub which gives me an excellent connection (solid 5 bars) in the front living room where most of my wifi electrical appliances are but provides a much weaker (approx 2 bars) signal in the back bedroom (about 20 yards and a couple of solid walls away)when I wanted to use my new Kindle Fire HD.
Connecting the Huawei Wifi Repeater up was a breeze. I simply plugged it into a socket near the Super Hub and switched it on. Then I briefly pressed the big blue button on the Super Hub for a second or less ( a couple of reviews had mentioned that if you press the Super Hub button for too long it disconnects itself). I didn't even have to press the button on the Huawei as some reviews had suggested because its indicator button immediately turned to flickering yellow and then a few seconds later to solid green which indicated the connection had been made.I then unplugged the Huawei and plugged it into a socket in the bedroom. Once again it the indicator button turned solid green and that was it !! Less than 5 minutes for a non-techie like myself!!
In the bedroom thanks to the Huawei Wifi RepeaterI now get a solid 5 bar signal exactly the same as in the living room.
I do notice that when I move my Kindle through to the bedroom it goes through the (short) process of obtaining an IP address and , because the same thing happens in reverse,I think it's because it is now connecting via the Huawei and not directly to the Super Hub.Occasionally if the process is taking too long, I "hurry it along" by manually switching wifi on the Kindle off and then back on again but the need to take this extra step is not very frequent.
All in all I'm delighted with this device and can strongly recommend it to other users of the Virgin Super Hub.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile "play-with- anythings" !!, 14 Feb 2013
Everybody, quite rightly, talks about the excellent sound quality of the Sound Magic E-10s and I agree with them but for me the big plus is that they work with all my music sources and so I can carry them with for use with everything - specifically my Sony Walkman, Oxx pocket radio and Kindle Fire HD. Also the cable is resistant to tangles and it comes with a convenient cable clip. Practical and terrific sound quality - what more can you ask ??!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7