Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Robert A. Baker > Reviews

Content by Robert A. Baker

Robert A. Baker

Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P65VT30B 65-inch Full HD 1080p 3D 600Hz Internet-Ready Plasma TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD (Installation Recommended) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Stunning picture, with a large caveat, 23 Oct. 2012
Last month my wife finally agreed to let me purchase a new HDTV. After doing an obsessive amount of research I settled on this model. Being that this is a plasma TV, and knowing of the "burn-in" issues in the past, I made sure to read quite a bit about how to avoid it. Most of what I came across simply stated that it isn't really a problem these days as long as you have a "break-in" period of about 100 hours.

Unfortunately, that will not help if you are hard-of-hearing and must use subtitles. After just three weeks of owning the television there were now two bars at the bottom of the screen that are darker than the rest of the display. These are caused by subtitles displaying in that area (even though subtitles aren't actually a static image). After hunting around online for a possible fix I read that it could just be mild image retention and I should just give it a few days and use the "scrolling bar" option on the TV.

So, I stopped using subtitles for 3 weeks and, instead, just relied on some headphones. Unfortunately, they are still there, and will most likely remain there. I called Panasonic customer service to see what could be done. I explained that I'm hard-of-hearing and I have to have subtitles. They replied that "burn-in" only really happens if you watch the same thing for many days in a row and that I should use the "scrolling bar" tool frequently. I informed them that I don't watch the same thing all the time, and that I do use the scrolling bar occasionally, but nowhere near frequently because that wasn't stated anywhere in the manual. Then they just casually told me there's nothing they can really do since I left a static image on the TV for too long. I explained that, had I known that subtitles (which wouldn't strike me as a static image) would cause damage to my expensive display, then I would not have purchase the TV in the first place.

I hate rating this product low because the display really is absolutely gorgeous. I just can't recommend it to anyone with a hearing disability knowing that they will damage their TV. I also can't recommend it to anyone who can hear simply because of the unsatisfactory quality and unhelpful customer service.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 8:04 PM BST