Profile for D. L. Carroll > Reviews

Content by D. L. Carroll

D. L. Carroll (Merseyside)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Phantom of the Opera  [Blu-ray] [2004]
The Phantom of the Opera [Blu-ray] [2004]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth having on Blu ray, 14 Oct. 2011
One of my favourite films, though I'm not a massive fan of musicals...I had this on DVD...and it was one of the films I thought was worth upgrading to Blu ray..and it is better...great picture...and the sound is clearer...well worth it at this price!

Make A Scene
Make A Scene

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite summer album!, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Make A Scene (Audio CD)
Every track is great...it reminds me a bit of Madonna's Confessions album....great for exercise....I have played it death...buy it, you won't be dissappointed...!

Happiness
Happiness
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Fantastic Album...from start to finish...! couldn't stop playing it for days! All tracks are excellent and don't all sound the same. His voice reminds me of different signers but still sounds his own and the songs themselves remind me of other bands...Depeche Mode, Aha..etc..but still their own..buy it...!

Legend [Blu-ray] [1985] [Region Free] [US Import]
Legend [Blu-ray] [1985] [Region Free] [US Import]
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Favourite!, 25 July 2011
If you're a fan of this film then you need to buy this...

I had this version on DVD but haven't been able to play it for a few years as for some reason my DVD stopped being multi-region...anyway...the transfer to Blu-ray is excellent considering the age of this film...it only shows once or twice..but not in a way that's bad..it just makes you remember that it is years old..on the whole the picture and sound are superb....clear and rich....and of course this cut is amazing as it fills in the dialogue and scenes that should have been there all along...

don't think about it..it is perfection...order it...and watch it over and over again..!

A Single Man [Blu-ray]
A Single Man [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by The Happy Zombie

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, a lot!, 10 July 2011
This review is from: A Single Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Beautiful to watch...a great performance by Firth who I think deserved the Oscar for this more than the Kings Speech..so maybe he should have two Oscars by now...as this was truly his film to lead....whereas the latter had many other performances on equal footing...

Other performances were all solid in this and Julianne Moore is always a pleasure to watch...the score to the film again was beautiful and does what a good score should...bring out the best in a film and also be good enough to listen to seperately.

I recommend this film to anyone who doesn't need action packed into a film and likes to get to know a character who presents a snap shot of human nature in response to a tragic event.

One slight negative...the Blu ray was slightly grainy in parts but I'm not sure if this effect was intended...I lean towards a no...it's not for artistic presentation...just some parts of the filming are not as clear and clean as the rest...but I could be wrong about that...

Feasting With Panthers
Feasting With Panthers
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent!, 1 July 2011
This review is from: Feasting With Panthers (Audio CD)
I loved Gabriel & The Lunatic Lover but was a bit wary that a whole album might be a bit too much or a bit samey...especially as I have never been a fan of poetry...but....this works very well indeed...Marc's gentle, soothing voice and Michael's music blend together perfectly...each song feeling strong individually and adding to a whole consistent album. Not often do I put something on and leave it to play from start to finish...but I'm finding this the case with this finely made tapestry of weaving words and music. Pour a glass of wine and stick it on.

Lotte Reiniger - The Fairy Tale Films [DVD]
Lotte Reiniger - The Fairy Tale Films [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lotte Reiniger

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 May 2011
I thought this would be more fascinating and magical...but I just about managed to watch it all the way through..

Portrait of a Lady
Portrait of a Lady
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Soundtracks!, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Portrait of a Lady (Audio CD)
I bought this years ago for myself and never stopped playing it for quite a while..I bought it again for a friend as they heard it at mine and loved it...beautiful from start to finish...

The Village
The Village

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting!, 15 May 2011
This review is from: The Village (Audio CD)
I love this...but I've seen that there are versions with more tracks available but not available to buy...shame it wasn't released in full...as it is superb, very beautiful.

Dinnerladies - Series 1 & 2 Complete [DVD]
Dinnerladies - Series 1 & 2 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Victoria Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars A Grower, 15 May 2011
I had never seen any of this...but I always like Wood & Walters stuff...It grows on you especially the second series...very warm and charming...!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6