Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 10 Oct 2013
Very easy and straight forward to put on the phone. The online video is very helpful. I can recommend this item wholeheartedly.

The Brightest Light (Ltd.Ed. 2cd)
The Brightest Light (Ltd.Ed. 2cd)
Price: 18.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart., 24 Sep 2013
Well, this album has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons, hasn't it? I haven't seen a new album from any artist for many a year that has polarised and divided it's audience quite like this new album from The Mission. The responses are extreme, no middle ground wherever you look. Nothing average about this album. It's either being loved or absolutely hated.
The Mission, or should I say Wayne Hussey in particular, has never played it safe, has he? Every album he releases regardless of whatever name he uses has been different. Why, in the last two years alone he has released Curios with Julianne Regan which was all glorious shiny techno pop and then the Ungodly Hour with Marcus Birro which was Swedish poetry set to home-grown acoustic blues & folk. And now the dirty rock of The Brightest Light. One thing is for sure and that is Hussey is a maverick and does divide opinion. He very rarely conforms to expectation.
And this is the problem with this album for a lot of people. It doesn't conform to what is expected of either Hussey or The newly reformed Mission with both Simon Hinkler and Craig Adams back in the ranks. it was always implausible to expect a new Carved In Sand or Children or God's Own Medicine.
Sure, I can see if you're a fan of Wasteland or Deliverance then this album is probably not for you. But, like anyone that has seen The Mission live will attest, they are first and foremost a rock band. A really f***** good one too. They always have been contrary to public and media preconceptions.
This is a great rock record, quite possibly their best ever and certainly one of the very best of the 2013 releases.
It's a proper grown up album made by blokes who are obviously enjoying what they do and feeling like they have nothing to prove. The playing is great throughout, the songs are classic and timeless, Hussey's vocals run from the whiskey and cigarette soaked voice on 'Ain't No Prayer' to the voice of an angel on 'Swan Song' to the crooner we all know he pines to be on 'Litany For The Faithful'. You almost get the feeling that he is playing a character like an actor when he's singing some of these songs which is something I've never really heard him do before. Hinkler's guitar playing is wonderful throughout contrary to what you may read in other reviews. This is an excellent album and I can't stop playing it.
Highlights for me are From The Oyster which is one of the loveliest songs ever written from a male point of view about the coming of age of a young girl to a woman matched by a beautiful guitar solo from Hinkler. I love the playfulness of Just Another Pawn and the lyric about Bowie & Morrissey is hilarious. Girl In A Fur Skin Rug is a very clever lyric about the culture clashes of the 60's and how by the end of that decade the utopian dream was over. This song is for eagle eyed scholars of rock history. And Swan Song which will undoubtedly go onto enjoy ecstatic reactions when they play it live which it has already done on their recent US tour by all accounts.
This could end up being The Mission's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or 'OK Computer' or 'Disintegration' or their 'Let It Bleed'. It's too early to tell what this will do to the band but I for one hope that they will be encouraged by the extreme responses to the album rather than disheartened by some of the reviews I have read which have been severely vitriolic and spiteful. Please, Wayne, Craig, Simon, & Mike, keep on rocking! There isn't anyone else around quite like you and we need you.

Curios
Curios
Price: 11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The two most under rated and under valued British voices of the last 25 years unite in harmony., 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
Well, this album has been a long time coming and I, for one, have been waiting for 20 odd years for this and I'm not disappointed in the least. From who I consider to be two of the finest vocalists the UK music scene has produced in the last 25 years or so comes an album that is tender as well as unexpected, beautifully performed and produced, and even though the majority of tracks here are covers they have been recorded in such a way that brings new life, dimension, and spirit to the songs. There are a couple of brand new songs including the glorious 'Dangerous Eyes' penned by Julianne, surely has to be a single, and the trip that is 'A Change In The Weather', Wayne's new song contribution.
Both Julianne and Wayne are in fantastic voice, as good as I've ever heard Wayne to be honest, but they have been largely overlooked by the media in recent years and in this age of X-Factor and very manufactured pop music they are beacons of integrity and a good example of artists traveling their own route and playing by their own rules. Now if only they could receive the acclaim they both richly deserve.
Highlights for me on the album are the aforementioned 'Dangerous Eyes', an amazing rendition of the classic 'Wichita Lineman' which should be another single, and a slightly skewed version of Bowie's 'Ashes To Ashes' which I can predict will leave most listeners confounded. I also really enjoy the 'chilled' vibe of the Thinner Air Mix of Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence', far far superior in every way to the recent Susan Boyle version.
Julianne and Wayne are two artists who reside outside of the 'normal' UK music business and because of this it affords them the opportunity to make music THEY enjoy rather than music they feel other people will enjoy. We should encourage our artists who don't travel the straight road and in Julianne and Wayne we have two of the best voices in unison, in harmony on what, for me, is certainly one of the albums of the year. Just don't expect The Mission or All About Eve!
I hope Hussey-Regan go onto record more together because it's certainly a relationship that bears the most delicious fruit, I'd just like maybe to hear more new material next time around. And oh yeh, some gigs would be good too.

50 Words for Snow
50 Words for Snow
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars We should encourage our best artists., 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
Well, I've been reading some mixed reviews on here and I thought I'd just add my tuppenth worth.
Kate has long been an artist that has not made any concession to fashion or current trends and we cherish her all the more for it. And this album totally follows suit. It's maybe not the album some of us were hoping for but it's surely not the album any of us were expecting.
There are moments of true genius and beauty, as with all of Kate's albums - Among Angels and Snowflake being standouts for me - but in fact all the piano led songs are riveting and mesmerising and whilst some of them are fairly long I see this as an opportunity for us, the listener, to lose ourselves in the journey of the track. Of course there is always a little of Kate's whimsy at work and it's best exhibited here by the title track, narrated by Stephen Fry. I have to confess this is my least favourite track on the album and one I can see myself skipping in the future.
All in all I'd heartily recommend this album for Kate's fans and non fans alike. It's an album that sees one of our most valued artists of the last 30 years stretching her wings and going somewhere new. Whether we choose to go with her is up to us, she's going anyway. And rather than be negged for being adventurous and not playing up to expectation I think we should encourage more of our artists to travel their own route.