Profile for Miss I. S. Streffen > Reviews

Content by Miss I. S. Str...

Miss I. S. Streffen (Diss, Norfolk Great Britain)

The Right to Look: A Counterhistory of Visuality
The Right to Look: A Counterhistory of Visuality
by Nicholas Mirzoeff

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Dec. 2012
Absolutely brilliant counter-history of visuality. Great reading for advanced humanities students. Mirzoeff makes strong arguments on his subject matter with wonderful clarity. After having read some of the most unreadable texts on visuality, this was engaging, erudite, compelling and easy to read.

Hide and Seek: Camouflage, Photography, and the Media of Reconnaissance
Hide and Seek: Camouflage, Photography, and the Media of Reconnaissance
by Hr Shell

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 7 Dec. 2012
This book should (and hopefully will) be on reading lists for students studying lens-based media, or camouflage. Shell makes a persuasive argument and the book itself looks great. I would recommend this to post-graduate students, and those who aren't shy of philosophy: it's not difficult to read but it's quite demanding in terms of the density of ideas. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the sections where she reconstructs the research of Abbott Thayer. Excellent.

Charlotte ~ Pride and Prejudice Continues (The Pride & Prejudice Continues Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Dec. 2012
I read this on Kindle when I needed to read some completely mindless trash. But it was awful mindless trash, badly written, awkward, completely unbelievable, none of the characters ring true. I'm surprised Jane Austen isn't haunting the author in horror.

Cockpit
Cockpit
by Jerzy N. Kosinski

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly (?) sleazy, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Cockpit (Paperback)
I bought this book whilst researching the work of artist Jill Magid who used it as a 'spark' for her work 'Becoming Tarden'. It was very useful to me in that context, but I would hesitate to recommend it for any other reason. It's a fine example of mid-70s rather sleazy spy novel. It could probably win a Bad Sex award, but is a pretty good example of its genre. I won't be re-reading it.

Stylish Academic Writing
Stylish Academic Writing
by Helen Sword

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 7 Dec. 2012
This book was recommended to me when I was struggling to write an interdisciplinary proposal. It gives excellent advice on improving your writing - by far the most useful I have ever read - and lays out some of the problems faced by academic writers in a wide variety of disciplines. Much of the book focuses on what can often appear to be the entrenched formulas of writing within disciplines, offering useful strategies to help reinvigorate these norms. I would recommend this book to anyone who has to write academic papers, but especially to post-graduate students and early career academics.

The Godless Boys
The Godless Boys
by Naomi Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, unusual, engaging, 23 May 2011
This review is from: The Godless Boys (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the reviews, and I am delighted that I took the risk. Wood sets up her story beautifully, with real touches of brilliance. At first I found the language of the Malades disconcerting, but very swiftly I stopped noticing as it had become real, as though I could genuinely hear it. I'm quite a demanding reader as I'm easily bored, and won't persevere if the author is doing a poor job, but this commanded my attention and was really worth my investment in the characters. When I had finished reading, I was like a dazed person, as though I wasn't really in my own world. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a fresh voice, for an engaging and dramatic plot, and for evocative description that will stay with you long after the reading is over.

Vampires: An Uneasy Essay on the Undead in Film
Vampires: An Uneasy Essay on the Undead in Film
by Jalal Toufic

5.0 out of 5 stars seductive theory, oh yes, 13 Feb. 2003
I was instantly seduced by this book. It is erudite, sexy theory at it's best, taking it's own leap of faith (carries you along like a flood). Toufic sketches modern vampire theory using cinematic theory and phenomology like twin mirrors. Very very diverting. He doesn't get too sucked into all the blood analogies (scuse the pun), which is refreshing. Read this alongside Laurence Rickels The Vampire Lectures, Julia Kristeva's Powers of Horror (oldie but goodie), Roberto Calasso's Literature and the Gods, and Barthes' Camera Lucida. Then go watch Buffy. It's fun, I promise.