Profile for alicambs > Reviews

Content by alicambs

alicambs "Ali" (New Zealand)

Game of Thrones - Season 1 Gift Set [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Game of Thrones - Season 1 Gift Set [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 24 July 2013
I appear to be very much in the minority (I was bored by the first book) but I really am not enjoying the TV series. I get that it is a feast of dark, complex political manoeuvrings, that it is very well cast and acted (mostly by Brit and Irish actors I happily note) and it is a totally brilliant visual spectacle (the music and title sequence is amazing), but it doesn't do it for me. The violence is every present, bloody and vicious, the female nudity gratuitous as hell and the lack of humour, other than the wonderful Peter Dinklage's Tyrion Lannister, makes the whole thing somewhat of an ordeal of blood, guts and gore.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 8:50 PM BST

Minette Walters Collection Box Set [DVD]
Minette Walters Collection Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Penny Downie
Price: 11.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, very dark stories, 24 July 2013
I don't remember mucht of these shows from when they were first televised so it was almost like watching them from new. What I had definitely forgotten was how dark and humourless most of them were. The Ice Room and the Echo were perhaps the exceptions as there were some light moments in both that made me smile. The acting was good with an impressive list of great British actors. It was a real pleasure to watch a young Daniel Craig in action while Pauline Quirke really impressed as the Sculptress.
Overall a very well written and acted collection.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing book, 25 April 2004
I picked this book up at the airport and didn't really have any greatexpectations other than as holiday reading. I found myself absorbed by thebook not so much by the plot because, as a number of reviewers havealready noted, the main mystery is far too easily revealed in a couple ofdays and some aspects seem all to unbelievable, but by the information andmysteries surrounding the plot.
I have very little knowledge of early Christianity, pre Christian paganismand the old matriarchal religions. However, I was aware of some of thefacts given while others were totally new to me and some were bizarreindeed. I'm still trying to work out whether Dan Brown was pulling ourlegs in regards to Disney, a corporation I have never viewed with anyfondness. I enjoyed the way the titbits of information were presented and,despite the disparaging comments by a few reviewers, I think this is avery clever way of 'feeding' the reader with information. I personallylove learning something new, and came away from this book with ideas and'facts' buzzing around my head.
I have an intrinsic distrust of the church, particularly the catholicchurch, and a dislike of the way women are made to feel guilty for justbeing women, so perhaps I am an easy target for a story that spends somuch time celebrating the 'divine feminine'. Whatever the reason, whilethis book is somewhat flawed and the plot far too rushed, I wanted todiscuss it as soon as I'd finished it, explore some of the informationgiven and recommend it to friends. That makes it a successful book in myview.

The Kindness of Strangers : The Autobiography
The Kindness of Strangers : The Autobiography
by Kate Adie
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating woman, 18 Oct 2003
I'd always liked Kate Adie and while I don't feel as if I actually know her any better after reading this book, I now not only like her, but I admire her immensely. This book drew me in from the start. I was fascinated by the way her career just sort of 'happened' and how she coped with and, mainly, conquered the ingrained bigotry and sexism of the late 60's and 70's to get where she is. That she still has to deal with it now is depressing, what male reporter would be criticized for his grooming and dress while in the middle of combat?
The book goes from light relief, Royal visits to India, to her passionate anger at the atrocities visited upon the Chinese students and demonstrators in Tinanamen Square, I think it is the lies and the cover up of facts by the Chinese Government that anger her more than anything. We also get a very balanced account of Northern Island. She provides evidence of the bigotry, hatred, and incessant intolerance that is an everyday fact of life there, but she balances it with kindness from strangers. She also provides evidence of the huge gulf between how the rest of Britain views Northern Island and how they view themselves.
The most surreal account was of her time in Libya. It beggars belief that a country can be almost run at the whim of one man, but that is how it seems. She also shows the futility of raining bombs on a country such as Libya. All the USA managed to do was to reinforce Colonel Gaddafi status in his people's eyes.
I was also taken by the sheer arrogance, intolerance and hostility of Saudi Arabia. Religious zealots constantly harassed and attacked woman soldiers, and reporters while billeted on Saudi Arabain soil during the 1991 Gulf War because they were 'women' and therefore inferior despite the fact they were there defending their big oil rich country. Her story of the University Lecturer who was shot by her father because she took advantage of the way the International News was in her country and demonstrated with like minded women by 'illegally' driving alone, shocked me. Women in Saudi Arabia must be driven by male drivers and are spied on and unable to conduct almost any aspect of life without male permission. Why does our government supports this intolerant and nasty regime?
Kate Adie held up recent history before me and taught me much about the histories, and the resultant mind sets, of people such as the Serbians, Bosnian, Croats etc. It made it easier to understand how the conflict was almost inevitable, without ever offering any excuse for it.
I believe that Kate is writing another book, I for one will look forward to reading it.