Profile for K. Middleton > Reviews

K. Middleton

Mary Berry's Absolute Favourites
Mary Berry's Absolute Favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, 1 Mar. 2015
I have only recently become interested in cooking and I am extremely clueless. What is great about this book - and other Mary Berry books - is how clear and straightforward the instructions are. She is able to pre-empt problems that a novice like me will have and does not assume (as some cookery books do) that the reader has a wealth of knowledge to draw upon. Practically every dish in this book is something that all the family would enjoy, you do not have to spend huge amounts of time trawling the shops for bizarre or expensive ingredients and even I can produce something that tastes lovely. A previous reviewer grumbled about the pictures but I have no objection to looking at the lovely Mary and I think it's sweet that she's included photos of her grandchildren. Don't waste your money on any other new cookery book - buy this one!

The Third Man
The Third Man
by Peter Mandelson

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read., 16 July 2010
This review is from: The Third Man (Hardcover)
Whether you love him or loathe him, Peter Mandelson is always interesting. Yes, we knew a fair bit about Gordon and Tony's alarming carryings on already but here more wince-inducing detail is provided. The happy newly weds Cameron and Clegg should take note of what happens when a close political relationship turns sour. Despite providing us with new and alarming insights into New Labour, Mandelson quite cleverly avoids revealing too much about his own personal life which many readers will find disappointing.
Politics is a funny old business. On the one hand we're given a graphic account of the bitter infighting, hatred and mistrust rife within New Labour and on the other Mandelson describes working closely with Kenneth Clarke - his opposite number on the Conservative bench - to ease the transition of power in his department when Labour inevitably lost the election. Fascinating.
I must confess that I like Mandelson. Read this book and perhaps you too will lament his resignation from frontline politics, leaving us with the prospect of one of the bland Milibands leading Labour into the next election in 2015. Or you may dislike him even more. Either way, read the book.

Lewis - Series Three [DVD] [2009]
Lewis - Series Three [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately

5.0 out of 5 stars Whately and Fox: a dynamic duo, 27 April 2009
Series 3 of Lewis has all the quality production values of 1 and 2 but it is the partnership of Robbie Lewis and James Hathaway that makes this drama so special. Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox have fantastic chemistry and it is a pleasue to watch their relationship develop. I thoroughly enjoyed all the episodes, from the conflict and angst in Quality of Mercy to Joanna Lumley's turn as an old rock star in Counter Culture Blues. There are some very funny one-liners - particularly from Fox - and I defy anyone not to chuckle at the Status Quo joke. If Lewis becomes a victim of ITV's insane programme cull and we're deprived of a series 4, it will be a real crime.