Profile for Sheila > Reviews

The Hundred Foot Journey [DVD]
The Hundred Foot Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lasse Hallström

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected joy, 27 Mar. 2015
I don't often feel compelled to write a review about a film- good or bad - but The Hundred Foot Journey is now one of the few. In short, it was wonderful. I watched it with my partner and two close friends - all of us with different individual interests and empathies, but all four of us LOVED IT. It was a simple film plot but it was uplifting, well acted and joyful. A reminder of what it is to be human and why life is worth living. If you want an uncomplicated but fulfilling film I wholly recommend this one.

Magic Beach
Magic Beach
by Alison Lester

5.0 out of 5 stars A story book that goes up to eleven, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Magic Beach (Hardcover)
I have a three-year-old daughter who has always loved stories so we have many, many children's books of which we read a selection together every evening. Until today, I have sadly found most of these books a disappointment; lacking in quality of content/story or rhyme. I have found most of the big names (without naming them but they are INCREDIBLY popular) hugely overrated and have always struggled to understand why most children's books are so lacking. A few are worthwhile, such as most books by the Ahlbergs, or Six Dinner Sid by Inga Moore, or Hiccup the Viking who was seasick, but tonight something magical happened (no pun intended) - this book arrived. IT IS WONDERFUL and everything I have always hoped a child's story book should be. The use of rhyme is perfect (unlike most of the popular rhyming books where it is a struggle to make the text scan when reading it), the illustrations are beautiful and the content is magical -in the true sense of the word - it creates magic out of the natural world without really adding any fairytale. What child would fail to be excited and entranced by a rock pool after reading this story or to search for white horses in the waves as they crash on the beach? It really is fabulous. I can almost hear the sea while reading it as the text is so evocative. In short, a lovely book which I cannot recommend highly enough (does it not show?).

Burglar Bill (Picture Puffin)
Burglar Bill (Picture Puffin)
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers!, 18 April 2013
About as eccentric as any children's story is ever likely to get - this book is hilarious and just plain bonkers. I can't recommend this one enough.

Mrs Wobble the Waitress [Happy Families Series]
Mrs Wobble the Waitress [Happy Families Series]
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 18 April 2013
Myself and my three year old have just purchased Mrs Wobble and read it for the first time this evening. We love it! Along with great illustrations, the book is filled with the sort of gentle humour that I have grown to expect from the Ahlbergs (we have a mounting collection of their books - difficult to pick out a favourite; they are mostly all bonkers, but Burglar Bill might just have it). As a result, have just ordered a few more from this series.

I Want My Hat Back
I Want My Hat Back
by Jon Klassen

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I have just purchased this book for my two year old with slight trepidation due to the nature of the one star review offered for it by a reviewer a couple of months ago. I have to say that I am SO SO SO glad I ignored their comments and followed the mood of the other reviewers; this book is hilarious, clever and a lesson in life. My daughter immediately picked up on the 'lie' and laughed out loud at the story. The illustrations are great, the book is beautifully crafted and the story if fun - what more can you ask from a children's story book?

Ewan the Dream Sheep
Ewan the Dream Sheep
Offered by Baa Baa Baby

4.0 out of 5 stars We love Ewan but he stops working all too easily, 14 April 2012
Oh my gosh,we LOVE Ewan in this house. He is a life saver, a sleep-bringer, a soother and comforter all rolled into one. We have recommended him many times to either people wanting to buy a present for new parent friends or to new parents themselves and they have all in-turn thanked us effusively, BUT, the downside is that I am about to order our third Ewan in 18 months. He just doesn't last very long due to his (what must be) very frail electronics, which is disappointing. Our daughter has tonight once again gone to bed without him and it's a sad sight. If he wasn't so wonderful I might be tempted to try something else but at the moment I can't bear the sad little face upstairs. If only he was made to last and until then baaa!

Hairy Maclary And Zachary Quack (Hairy Maclary and Friends)
Hairy Maclary And Zachary Quack (Hairy Maclary and Friends)
by Lynley Dodd
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy and Zachary are very popular in this house, 12 April 2012
This is a wonderful story, read repeatedly and regularly in this house. Fab rhymes, a lovely tale and fun to read. We have several Hairy and Slinkey books, all much loved by us and our two year old, and this one is currently the all time favourite. We want more Hairy and Zachary!!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Only £9 and still not worth the money, 26 Dec. 2011
I'd give this minus stars if I could. My daughter was given this as a present this Christmas (i.e. yesterday) and it broke after a few moment's use. Unfortunately, in the process of breaking, it collapsed and she fell landing on her face, so not a happy experience at all. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and this product only serves to reinforce this belief as it is nothing other than cheap, plastic rubbish. Avoid unless you particularly enjoy contributing to landfill.

Playskool Explore 'N Grow Push ' N Stack Gears
Playskool Explore 'N Grow Push ' N Stack Gears

5.0 out of 5 stars A big hit in this house, 18 Mar. 2011
My 11 month old adores this toy and it withstands a battering very, very well. I would definitely recommend this toy.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Much to my suprise this stuff does actually work, 15 July 2010
As the title suggests, I was most sceptical about this but purchased it out of desperation. We have two female litter sibling cats, both extremely nervous of strangers and all visitors. I won't bore you with the background to this but at the time of purchase our cats were no longer getting on with each other and their existence together was becoming difficult; one cat had become extremely anxious and miserable, lost a lot of weight and would stay away from home for days on end without eating. But I am happy to report that (literally) within days of plugging this stuff in both cats were much more relaxed and now two months later they are both almost completely back to their old selves. Both cats are now much more relaxed and the very anxious cat who stayed away is now back to eating normally and sleeping on our bed and purring lots. Am about to buy a refill of this stuff to make sure it stays that way!

Page: 1 | 2