Profile for Gerald Prunty > Reviews

Content by Gerald Prunty

Gerald Prunty (Scotland)

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
by Chris Kyle
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Tactless Drivel, 29 Jan 2014
Bought this two days ago on a whim as I expected a Navy SEAL with stunning prowess behind a rifle to be a collected, well-rounded, smart and perhaps quietly confident individual that would write an autobiography that would make up for an (as expected) average grasp of writing with a plethora of interesting stories, novel insights and awe inspiring recollections on his time as a sniper.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The first sixty pages of American Sniper are a woefully dull account of Chris's upbringing that hold little interest, the only drive onwards - through the swathes of idiotic self postulating and sigh-inducing one liners that end every section - held within the hope that the story might become more exciting after he makes it through training and gets deployed on tour.

Wrong again.

Even if you forget the wearisome one-upmanship and the onslaught of achingly pointless bragging (rather curiously for a man that uses the word "Y'all" he says the British "speak English funny") you're still fed endless streams of school-level writing with the same amount of colour and vividity as Satan's bathroom fittings. Basically, this is how "The Hungry Caterpillar" would read if the caterpillar liked chewing tobacco and firearms.

I'm only half way through but tomorrow I will be calculating the elevation, drop and windage needed to launch this book 2,100 yards into the nearest recycle bin.

Then I'm off to Waterstones to buy the absolutely glorious, throat-catching triumph that is 'Sniper One' by Sgt. Dan Mills.

PETZL STRIX VL TACTICAL HEADLAMP WITH VISIBLE LIGHT AND COLOUR (BLACK)
PETZL STRIX VL TACTICAL HEADLAMP WITH VISIBLE LIGHT AND COLOUR (BLACK)
Offered by Total Access (UK) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Petzl Strix VL, 13 Jan 2014
All of the features for the Strix can be found on Petzl's Youtube video which is well worth a watch if you're interested in the product, so instead I'll aim to describe things I found interesting that aren't obvious from watching that.

The Strix has a nice matte finish and although it doesn't weigh much, it feels very well made in the hand and inspires confidence that it could take some abuse in the field. Both rotational axis's feel very sturdy and the switch system is simple to use and very intuitive, with every knob and movable part feeling very robust.

The lamp toggles between a colour mode (switchable between green, red and blue depending on your situation); a discreet low level light that is of little use except for reading within arms length or similar; a much brighter (and probably the mode you'll use most) mid level for regular use; and a high power mode that saps the battery in a few hours but has a good illumination for when you really need it. The amount of functionality from a single AA battery is brilliant.

A particularly cool feature that has been somewhat underplayed regarding the Strix is how the high power mode can be tilted towards a ceiling while indoors and illuminate the room with a surprisingly useable amount of ambient light. It also has a scan function that allows a brief spurt of brighter illumination from the setting you're currently using - every feature on the Strix is tailored towards military light discipline and it's obvious from how the unit functions that this is the case.

I bought the headlamp to replace my Silva Ranger on wild camping treks across Scotland and have yet to use it outdoors but when I do, I'll be carrying it confident that as soon as darkness falls I've got a great tool to get me through the night.

I highly recommend this product if it is within your budget.

Web-tex Scrim Net Scarf - Black - 1m x 1m
Web-tex Scrim Net Scarf - Black - 1m x 1m
Offered by MilitaryOps Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Web-tex Scrim Net Scarf - Black - 1m x 1m, 4 Dec 2011
I ordered this for myself as lightweight but robust scarf for wilderness camping. You can buy camouflage variants of these but I wanted to stick to a plain black version to match my gear.

The scrim is large and can be folded in multiple ways relative to how you'd like the scarf to sit. The material is rather coarse but it is easy to get used to and at least reassures you that it will last a while.

The mesh itself is a fairly open weave, allowing a lot of circulation and a good degree of sight when the scarf is pulled to cover the entire face, but is still fine enough to keep you warm.

My only setback to the product are the unseemed edges. The threads are left strayed and after a lot of use I can see them beginning to fray a little but it's not a major worry.

Overall I would recommend this product, it arrived exactly as described and does it's job perfectly.

Camo Scrim Scarf
Camo Scrim Scarf
Offered by Savage Island

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Camo Scrim Scarf
I bought this as a gift for a friend I go wilderness camping with. It's roughly 80cm x 100cm with tight seemed edges (I have a scrim with strayed edges that begins to wear over time ever-so-slightly).

The scarf is comfortable considering the robust material and the mesh weave is fine enough to keep the heat against your face but loose enough to allow a good degree of vision, even with the cloth completely covering your face.

The only flaw with the item is the description/image. At a glance, it looks more-or-less like a 3-colour DPM or woodland variant but the camouflage is actually 2-colour dark brown and olive green. Not a major flaw but I would have liked a better description before buying.

Overall, I am happy with the item and would recommend it for the price.

Military Heavy Duty Grappling Anchor Hook with Nylon Rope Ninja Cadet Bushcraft
Military Heavy Duty Grappling Anchor Hook with Nylon Rope Ninja Cadet Bushcraft
Offered by CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters

4.0 out of 5 stars Grappling hook, 3 Dec 2011
The packaging was slightly cheesier than the product description, mainly basing it on the "ninja" aspect of the item, whereas I bought it as a gift for a friend that I go wilderness camping with.

The rope seems of decent quality although I've yet to see if it will take the strain of lifting a person or even two. The hook itself is sturdy and the mechanism is rather fun and involves giving the hooks a swift twirl until they lock open ready for use.

The only fault I could find was the edges of the metal on the hooks (made of coated iron, as per the description) were slightly worn silver straight from the box so I'm assuming that after a bit of use and wear this would gradually degrade the appearance of the item.

Overall, I'm happy with the grappling hook and can't wait to see it in use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 4:17 PM BST

Sony MDR-ED21LP Groove Shaped Earpiece headphones
Sony MDR-ED21LP Groove Shaped Earpiece headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars There are far superior high-bass earphones to these, 29 Nov 2011
Bought these as a replacement to my faithful Philips SHE9550/10 Rich Bass Headphones which lasted a long while and were comfy, fantastic value and the best medium-priced in-ear headphones I've ever heard. These Sony models, on the other hand, are strangely shaped with no degree of customization, hurting my slightly-smaller-than-average ears and giving me the odd headache. I also find the sound surprisingly lacking in bass and the treble is far too hissy in comparison. I would recommend anyone to save your money and spend it elsewhere, there are far superior earphones for this price.

MDM04 Single LED/LCD Monitor Stand w/ Swivel Arm & Desk Clamp
MDM04 Single LED/LCD Monitor Stand w/ Swivel Arm & Desk Clamp
Offered by eHome

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not the arm I'm worried about..., 28 Jun 2011
Found the arm to be very sturdy, not too horrific in terms of looks (as others claimed) and holds the monitor perfectly. I would, however, exercise some caution towards what you clamp the unit to. I bought this so I could fix the monitor to the sill at the side of my bed and have the monitor floating in front of me so I could watch movies and surf in comfort without screwing my eyes at the monitor sitting across the other side of the room.

The issue is that I found the weight of the arm and monitor combined pulled the wood to the point that it started creaking, so I've kept the arms folded over the mounting pole so the weight sits evenly on the surface. Of course it's not the intended use but it makes me wonder if older units or desks would have the same distress holding so much directional weight, something you might want to consider.

The product does exactly as described though, and if your mounting surface is upto the task, then this arm will definitely be.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 12:06 AM GMT

Pro Series RCA Phono Audio Extension Cable - 2.5m
Pro Series RCA Phono Audio Extension Cable - 2.5m
Offered by Solent Cables Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 28 Jun 2011
Bought two of these cables to extend the satellite speakers of my 2.1 surround system so they could sit at opposite corners of my room wall. I wasn't sure if extending the cables from the subwoofer unit would create a delay, so I opted for these shorter 2.5m variants and as far as I can notice there is no hint of any sound lag at all. The product was small enough to be posted through my door and worked straight from the package. Worked exactly for the purpose I needed them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2012 10:50 AM BST

3ds Max 2009 Bible
3ds Max 2009 Bible
by Kelly L. Murdock

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Definitive Guide, 17 Sep 2008
This review is from: 3ds Max 2009 Bible (Paperback)
For your money you receive a truly mammoth book. Don't let the lack of colour sway your opinion, this is true knowledge and experience of the 3DS Max software written in a concise and easy-to-follow manner.

From beginners to veterans, if there's something with this software you want do that's not in this bible, you simply cannot do it.

This should come with every copy of 3DS MAX.

The full colour PDF version on the included CD is perfect to keep on your computer.

Highly Recommended.

Game Development Essentials: An Introduction
Game Development Essentials: An Introduction
by Jeannie Novak

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to the Subject, 17 Sep 2008
As an aspiring video game designer I found this book well written, relevant and a vibrant introduction to the subject.

It leaves some scope for introduction to more titles in the series within certain areas.

I'm not sure the price tag justifies this full-colour, paperback book though, but it is clear the author has put plenty of effort into her writing.

Recommended, with an air of caution towards your level of subject knowledge.