Profile for M. Huxtable > Reviews

M. Huxtable

Bird by Bird: Instructions on Writing and Life
Bird by Bird: Instructions on Writing and Life
by Anne Lamott

5.0 out of 5 stars I have both enjoyed and learned from this book and I am recommending ..., 10 Aug 2014
I am engaged in an educational form of research (Living Theory research: some details on http://www.actionresearch.net) and I have been wondering how to describe the process. Anne Lamott's reflections on writing and life provide both food for thought and inspiration. I have both enjoyed and learned from this book and I am recommending it to some of those I work with who find themselves stuck as they begin their research.

Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars Was much smaller than I expected which is great as it is easy to store and sits around ..., 9 July 2014
Was much smaller than I expected which is great as it is easy to store and sits around ready for use without being in the way. The response to my query about readablity from Amazon customers was accurate and very helpful. All in all one of my more successful purchases

Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life
by Robert J. Sternberg

5.0 out of 5 stars think beyond the 'trite', 2 May 2010
Sternberg offers some thought provoking ideas in a very readable form which can be creatively engaged with by teachers and others to contribute to their development of their educational practice, provision and theory. I read it when it first came out and continue to dip into it periodically.

What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education
What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education
by Guy Claxton

4.0 out of 5 stars What's the point of school?, 30 May 2009
What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of EducationGuy Claxton offers a compelling critique of the schooling system and opens the way for returning to educational values as a basis for building and evaluating practice.

Action Research: Living Theory
Action Research: Living Theory
by A Jack Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Theory -, 15 Dec 2007
I, like many educators, feel disempowered and frustrated by the strictures of traditional approaches to educational research and this book offers me hope and a way forward. I think others will respond with delight, as I did, to the authors recognition that practitioners have a wealth of embodied knowledge and their own educational theories which they draw on in their practice. They go on to show how practitioners can research to improve what they are doing and develop their own living values as standards of judgment. This book helps me in my endevour to be accountable in ways which are reasoned, reasonable and practically useful.

The authors demonstrate the power of the ideas they espouse by using them to write the book as a living theory action research account. As a reader I was swept along with their passion for education in its fullest sense, the accounts they give of how they seek to live those values in their professional practice and their invitation to critically engage with them.

This is a book which I dip in and out of repeatedly as a resource and inspiration.