Profile for JoJo > Reviews

The Game
The Game
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Game (Kindle Edition)
Some of her books are so amazingly brilliant and make such an impression that a one like this can seem a bit of a disappointment. That said a less than spectacular Dianna Wynne Jones book is better than most. Main issue I had with this one was the lack of depth to the characters. I wasn't pulled in as much as usual. it felt more like a short story. But then she is writing for children and maybe this one was just more for kids than the others. I'd put this one in the same camp as Hexwood. Another one I enjoyed but didn't fall in love with.

Wolf: Jack Caffery series 7
Wolf: Jack Caffery series 7
Price: 4.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not one of the best, 22 Aug 2014
There didn't seem to be as much to this book than previous books in the Jack caffery series. I enjoyed it but I worked a lot of it out quite early on. Good ending though!

Who is Tom Ditto?
Who is Tom Ditto?
Price: 4.35

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good read, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this. not exactly a challenging book but love the conversational style and references to stuff we all recognise - like people who say "just saying" to make a criticism acceptable...read it!

The Winter Witch
The Winter Witch
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying tale, 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Winter Witch (Kindle Edition)
This is an enjoyable read. well written and a good story. only reason it doesn't get that extra star is that it didn't blow me away. There was something familiar about it. But worth a read and a much better witch tale than The Line!

The Line (Witching Savannah Book 1)
The Line (Witching Savannah Book 1)
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to expectations, 7 July 2014
There is no depth to this book. The story has loads of potential and the characters are almost fully formed but never quite get there. They remain flat and stereotypical able to deal only with what's going on at the time and nothing more complex. When I read that the author had once been a financial analyst it made sense as this really does seem like a novel by numbers. At one point I felt sure this had actually been written by a computer program. it jerks along from one bit of the story to the next. Towards the end it became quite comical how the main character behaved. She's about to have her 21st birthday but spends most of the book acting like a 16 year old. I'm still not sure if this was meant to be a teen novel or for grown ups. I wouldn't bother with it if you're reading this. It's not awful (so it has a generous 3 stars)- I finished it and the plot was ok - but there are far better, more well written books out there.

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas 1)
Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas 1)
Price: 6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 22 May 2014
I've read all the sookie books and loved them. Well, until the final one - I'm with the majority in finding the ending of the story a let down. such a shame.

This book is not as good. I think the problem is the pace of the story telling. It meanders along at pretty much the same pace no matter what is happening. You are kept just interested enough to keep reading but it doesn't get you hooked. It took me a while to read as I wasn't compelled to read at every opportunity as I am when I love a book. The third party narrative is partly to blame because you feel removed and distanced from the emotions of the characters. You aren't inside their heads and so you don't emotionally invest as much as you could.

Having said all that there is some charm in the story and the way it's told. The characters do slowly develop though never quite enough. I would read another just to see where she goes without next.

Not a waste of money but sookie fans might not like this.

Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking)
Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking)
Price: 4.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ending to the trilogy, 17 Mar 2014
the last of the three books wraps up the story but it did feel as though it could have been a bit shorter. It went on a bit at times and I would find I had reached a conclusion about what was happening long before it was revealed. So I enjoyed this book but if the pace had been a little faster I would have enjoyed it more!

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking)
Price: 1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Feb 2014
I wasn't sure about this book as some of the reviews said there were few likable characters and nobody to root for. this couldn't be further from the truth. Todd is the hero of this story and viola a worthy heroine. This is the second Patrick Ness book I've read and he has a truly amazing ability to convey the complex nature of humanity. Looking forward to reading the next two in the trilogy. Read this book!!

Doctor Who: Something Borrowed: Sixth Doctor (Doctor Who Digital)
Doctor Who: Something Borrowed: Sixth Doctor (Doctor Who Digital)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good story in this series., 19 Feb 2014
interesting short story - love Dr who and this did not disappoint. loved the integration with other stories and the character of the sixth doctor is nicely captured.

Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock: Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who Digital)
Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock: Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who Digital)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Feb 2014
love Neil Gaiman and the eleventh doctor so this book was perfect. What a neat little story with the Doctor and Amy captured brilliantly. Shame it was over in one go...

Page: 1 | 2