Profile for brentalexis > Reviews

Content by brentalexis

brentalexis (London, United Kingdon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Go With The Flow
Go With The Flow
Price: 20.51

5.0 out of 5 stars SMOOTH AS IT FLOWS, 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: Go With The Flow (Audio CD)
Remember or like Grover Washington JR and George Howard? Well here is Walter Beasley at his best, an incredible sax player, music professor and more. This album Go With The Flow is ideal to put on after that long day when you need to unwind or to listen to with someone next to you.

Just listen to the first track with the album title, which gives you toe tapping stuff tinged with background vocals supported by an excellent bass line. Tracks two and three continues the story of the 'moment' with some cool and funky sax. The track 'suddenly' is a cover, with Walter singing and although his voice is quite smooth it does not add much to the original and I would have preferred some sax here, but it seems to go well with the akbum.
The track 'brother' is again an outstanding work of art with excellent bass line, toe tapping stuff and quite funky. The sax leads the story and is supplemented with great guitar lick. Worth playing twice.

As I am a Walter Beasley fan I have rated this album excellent plus and interesting enough his albums released either side of this are also excellent or at least very good. So treat yourself to some cool jazz by Walter Beasley and you will not regret it. In fact you will need to buy more, because you will get hooked like I did when I was listening to a well known jazz radio station a while back.

So enjoy the flow with Walter Beasley

THOR 26482T Scart to Scart 3 Mtrs
THOR 26482T Scart to Scart 3 Mtrs
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGH QUALITY CONNECTOR, 13 Jan 2009
At Christmas 2008 I bought a new TV and DVD player. The TV shows excellent pictures in the first place, so I was looking for a quality connector to connect the DVD player, but it had to be longer than normal.

Having looked at some other gold plated scart connectors, very few came up to the standard of this one. Most of them were more expensive (35 to 45)so this one at 23 is value for money.The build quality is excellent, just feel it in your hands and even more important the picture quality it produced when connected between the DVD player to the TV remains excellent. So maintain the quality of your video equipment and get one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars MOUTH WATERING PICTURES, 6 Jan 2009
It was a difficult choice between the Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and another Sharp, as we already have a Sharp 30in LCD which is now five years old in the living room.

This TV was bought for the bedroom and therefore the piano black surround blends in quite nicely with the background and is very stylish. I was a bit worried by the silver speaker on the bottom edge, but it is not as bright as some of the adverts show.

The picture quality is mouth watering (excellent) and this is connected to a signal from an external aerial mounted on the roof. If it can perform so well from a decent signal, just imagine what you will get from a HD source!
We intend to connect it to a DVD player and later others sources as well, so to that end it has a good selection of Scarts and HDMI connectors.

The sound quality is average (well the speakers are quite small) but more than adequate for watching pictures. If you want better sound, why not connect it to a AUDIO system.

All in all I am very pleased with its performance and would suggest that you connect it to a decent signal source and you will not be dissappointed.

Lay It Down
Lay It Down
Price: 9.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Al Green Is Love Again (Lay It Down), 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: Lay It Down (Audio CD)
"Al Green Is Love" was one of his classic excellent albums released around 1975. However I think he has done it again, this time with "Lay It Down". Isn't it funny how the great artist never loose their touch. In the case of Al its that lovely falsetto voice which seems to work so well with many soulful love songs. Just listen to "Lets Stay Together", "I'm Still In Love With You" and so on.

On Lay It Down the music is fresh yet there are signs of the 70's sound which made him popular. What has been cleverly done is to maintane his own style as we have come to know it but mixed in with an excellent bass line Memphis style horns and modern artist like Corinne Bailey Rae etal. All tracks are enjoyable and there is no excuse to skip any. What this album has done in our houseold, is resurect all his oldies, but this is after we have played Lay It Down a few times.

If you are a Al Green fan like me, then this is a must for your collection. If you are new to Al Green then this will be an enjoyable start especially if you have heard of the modern artist such as Corinne Bailey Rae, John Legend and Athony Hamilton who all feature in the album. So what are you waiting for, just enjoy.

Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
Price: 4.13

5.0 out of 5 stars OTIS BLUE: REAL SOUL, 18 May 2007
If you really want to know the meaning of Soul then listen to this album by Otis. This album shows how his rapidly developing talent had matured into excellent writing on his own songs such as "Ole Man Trouble", "Respect" and his biggest hit "I've Been Loving You Too Long".

Even the usual covers you get on most albums are delivered by Otis with that feeling of Soul which enhances how they were done by the original artists. Just see what I mean by his versions of " Change Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke, "My Girl" by Smokey Robinson, which was a hit for the Temptations, and so on.

One of the reasons the music on this album is so good, is that Otis was a multi talented artist who could sing, play several instruments and at around this time he was becomming a producer. So he could easily demonstrate to the musicians exactly what he wanted.

Here he is in control, because he makes the musicians do what he wants in order to put across the feelings he expresses with his excellent voice. Now off course for this to be successful he needs outstanding musicians and here he has them in the form of Stax's house band Booker T and The MG's and the horns of The Mar-Keys, which together makes a formidable combination.

This is a special album because most times I have to play it twice, as it brings back memories of life when I first heard it back in 1965 and memories which are still here today. I just can't get enough of it. Every track is special. So if you're a Otis fan like me then this is a must for your collection. If you're new to Soul music then this is an enjoyable road to begin and especially good to stimulate your curiosity of Otis's other works of art. So sit back and enjoy the Otis experience of real Soul.

Timeless Love
Timeless Love
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 8.83

5.0 out of 5 stars SMOOTH & TIMELESS LOVE, 21 Feb 2007
This review is from: Timeless Love (Audio CD)
I have been a long fan of Smokey, his poetic words and crooning voice. He has come up with many classic soul works from Special Occasion, Quiet Storm and Make It Happen , to name just a few. He has written and produced many more for other artist like The Temtations, another of my favourites. These to me are standards by themself which others have used and sometimes not as good as the originals.

In this album Smokey has gone back to before the sixties and put together some well known love songs which are often referred to as American Standards. Many of these I have heard attempted by other artist and funny enough the only other "standards" attempt which I like and have in my collections is "For Lovers Only" by The Temptations.

What Smokey has done here is to put his own style on them. The arrangements are excellent with Smokey`s smooth silky crooning voice weaving a thread through some wonderfull piano and orchestral work

Creative I-Trigue 3600  2.1 Speakers - Black and Silver
Creative I-Trigue 3600 2.1 Speakers - Black and Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars I-TRIGUE SOUND, 3 Jun 2006
Wow, what an experience, my ears just needs more of this clever design. Every one who hears and sees these miniature speakers on my computer desktop can't beleive the sound that they can hear.

What they dont know is the bass unit is hidden below the computer desk and this coupled with the clever mid/high range desktop units makes the sound seem like a main hi-fi system of over 100 watts. But from the spec it only pumps out a maximum of 41Watts.

Visually they match the looks of my 17 inch TFT monitor which is black with a silver surround. The desktop units are modern in design and also have black fronts with silver sides and stands.

Setting up is very simple. An excellent modern pair of PC speakers, worth every penny.

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music-Internal Audio Card
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music-Internal Audio Card

5.0 out of 5 stars THE EXTREME SOUND CARD, 3 Jun 2006
Between seven or eight years ago when I built my last computer, I was recommended a sound card then made by CREATIVE and it has given me excellent service for all that time until my PC speakers packed up and soon after it was time to upgrade my PC.

Recently (May 2006)I built a new computer and I wondered whether I was going to use the onboard sound card or to install a dedicated sound card. A good friend in the music industry recommened a CREATIVE Audigy 2 ZS sound card to me, but I have had a lot of trouble getting hold of a new one. So instead I made a decision to try CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI XTREME MUSIC instead. Although it is somewhat more expensive than the Audigy 2 ZS I think it is worth every penny. It sounds better than most peoples home hi-fi systems, with a good pair of speakers attached off course.

Setting up was very straight forward and gave no problems when using Windows XP Professional. I am particularly impressed with the level of build quality and finish. There is off course a lot more on this card for the serious music maker, but if your interested in high quality sound, here it is in one package. Worth every penny.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3