ARRAY(0xac47d510)

Profile for Julia Bell > Reviews

Content by Julia Bell

Julia Bell "Heide" (Londres)

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Eat, pray, love - but don't bother with the book, 20 July 2013
I was seduced into reading this by the the celebrity endorsements on the back - what a mistake. I can't believe I was reading the same book! I found it dull, shallow and self indulgent.

Reading this book was like having to look at someone else's holiday photos (while listening to a droning commentary on each and every one) for hours on end.

It's Elementary!: Putting the crackle into chemistry
It's Elementary!: Putting the crackle into chemistry
by Robert Winston
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars great for kids, 6 Feb 2013
This book begins with an introduction to the development of chemistry and then goes on to explain the periodic table. The rest of the book consists of separate sections describing many of the different elements. My 9 year old daughter has read it on her own from cover to cover and we've also frequently dipped into it together. We both loved it. It's really well written, with good illustrations, and great fun to read.

The Boy Who Bit Picasso
The Boy Who Bit Picasso
by Antony Penrose
Price: 6.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent child's introduction to the artist, 17 Mar 2011
I bought this book for my 7 year old, who loves it. Some children's art books can be a little dry, but this is a personal account of Picasso based on childhood memories and it brings the artist to life. Some of the incidental details in the book might not seem 'important' but to me that is the key to the book's success: it provides memorable 'hooks' that children can build on. My daughter remembered many of the anecdotes and details in the book and is genuinely keen to find out more about Picasso's work.