Profile for Richard Roberts > Reviews

Content by Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Karrimor Mens Traveller Supa ll Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Karrimor Mens Traveller Supa ll Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Price: 21.99 - 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, 26 April 2014
I bought these to do some walking a few weeks ago, and I was very impressed with the fit. They are a very comfortable shoe that can be worn as a trainer, but they outclass many more expensive trainers.

One of the best non-formal shoes I have ever purchased. Can't argue with the price...excellent value for money!

Showtime, Storytime (Bonus Blu-ray)
Showtime, Storytime (Bonus Blu-ray)
Price: 20.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome!, 9 Mar 2014
What can I say that hasn't already been said on previous reviews? Disc 1, the Blu-Ray film of the concert is fantastic, excellent picture and very good filming, even if the cutting (to the crowd) leaves a bit to be desired at times. The picture quality is excellent, as you should expect from HD. The sound quality is great, but a little lacking in depth, and I had to put my TV on full volume to get the best sound out of it. That said the gig itself more than makes up for the minor ailments associated with the production; a plethora of NW favourites past and present. For me, the highlights are: "She is my Sin", "I want my Tears Back", "Nemo", "Last of the Wilds", "Song of Myself" and "Last Ride of the Day". These are just my favourites from this particular show, but the whole concert is brilliant from start to finish. Its hard to believe also, that its an open-air gig! Floor is amazing, and tackles "Tarja songs" with consummate ease, but equally at ease with the "Annette songs". Its on par, if not, in some respects, slightly better than the "End of an Era" DVD.

Floor Jansen is a credit to the music industry for the professionalism she showed in turning up for the (near demise) of NW's World tour 2012, which was halfway across the midwest of the US, when she was called for "a little assistance on the vocals side of things". Also, the way that the two lead vocalists from Kamelot, who were touring with the band, filled in on "that night" (they had an hour to learn some songs!). All this is well documented on Disc 2, which really highlights the dilemma the band had found themselves in. The show must go on, as they say. And it sure did...if Floor had not been available, who knows where, in my opinion the World's best symphonic metal band, would be right now. Disc 2, unlike Disc 1, does not appear to have been filmed in HD, at least concert footage isn't

The CDs are basically an audio version of the Blu-Ray, with nothing added, nothing taken away...

At a little more than 20 (at the time of writing), its a steal! BUY IT!

Decowall,DK-0066, Planets in the Space Home Art Decoration-wall stickers
Decowall,DK-0066, Planets in the Space Home Art Decoration-wall stickers
Offered by Fixpix-Decowall
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 July 2013
Very clear and bright colours and all the items can be set out to fill a complete wall. As someone else pointed out, the picture on the instructions show Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in the wrong order and labelled next to the wrong planets. I felt that mars could have been a little redder, rather than orange (its like a larger version of mercury), Jupiter could have shown the red spot in the design and they could have added the moon to go with Earth, but other than this these stickers are top quality.

SPOT DOG PARADISE - BATTERY OPERATED KIDS TOY
SPOT DOG PARADISE - BATTERY OPERATED KIDS TOY
Offered by 5 STAR SHOP
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Entertaining but..., 1 Jun 2013
Beware. I bought the penguin version of this for my son a year ago and this is a replacement. The rollers on the animals may eventually become a little 'sticky', meaning that they will not roll down the slide any more. It appears to be very difficult to get replacement animals for these products, but since you can pick the whole thing up for about 10, the set is quite good value for money. The sound on this one is a bit annoying and there is no volume control. The penguin version is a bit more easy on the ear.

Casdon 617 Grocery Set (36 Pieces)
Casdon 617 Grocery Set (36 Pieces)
Price: 9.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 1 Jun 2013
There is a nice variety of food. The boxed items are easy to build and don't need gluing together. The print on the boxed/tinned items is of a high quality and the food is fairly authentic. Perhaps a little pricey but fairly good value for money.

Alfa 1000mW 1W 802.11g/n High Gain USB Wireless G / N Long-Rang WiFi Network Adapter - Also works with Viewsonic vmp75
Offered by Smart Shop UK
Price: 19.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Poor, 29 Sep 2012
Bought this to replace a faulty Belkin and I wish I'd replaced like-for-like. Continually disconnects and whenever my PC goes into sleep mode, it disconnects, unlike my Belkin, which never disconnected when it felt like it. Also slower than the Belkin.
Now using one given to me by Virgin, which is Belkin manufactured and the speed is twice as fast and doesn't disconnect indiscriminately.

My advice is choose what you know and Belkin has always performed for me.

3 FT SANTA CLIMBING  LADDER LIGHT FOR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR CHRISTMAS DECORATION
3 FT SANTA CLIMBING LADDER LIGHT FOR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR CHRISTMAS DECORATION

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel Idea, 25 Nov 2010
A novel and fun idea, the rope light and santa are good quality.

I'm happy with it, but prospective purchasers beware that you will require a weatherproof (e.g.IP64 or higher) rated external power supply to plug it in. I have one of these, but its at the rear of the house, so I've had to invest in one for the front. The item description does state the power connection type, but it didn't sink in with me until I received the item.

Dark Passion Play: Special Edition
Dark Passion Play: Special Edition
Price: 13.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic! As close to musical perfection as you can get., 26 Jan 2008
What can I say that hasn't already been said in the (positive) comments below me?

Their first album with Anette Olzen as lead has not disappointed. It was an extremely difficult task to find someone to replace Tarja (almost impossible). But they did it. Despite the fact Anette's vocals are very different, she slots into the band very nicely.

There isn't really a bad song on the album. I basically love all of it. Symphonic hard metal in places, but in others beautiful and full of emotion and diversity. Intense lyrics and in my opinion the music is unsurpassed by any band in the world today. I have to admit to some songs bringing tears to my eyes.

I would say the album mirrors 'Once' as there are similar tracks on a similar style album, but nevertheless it holds its own as a single piece of art embedded in history forever.

I won't dwell on each individual track as I'd be here forever. Amaranth the latest single has a wonderfully catchy chorus with Anette's layered vocals (it will be interesting to see how they do it live - got tickets!), a similar style song to 'Nemo' from 'Once'. 'Bye Bye Beautiful' is obviously a song for Tarja, 'Eva' is a gorgeous ballad, and 'Sahara' is a powerful song with almost an Eastern taste to it. I love 'The Islander', a kind of medieval folk song, but it really works. 'Last of the Wilds' is the only instrumental on the album, but I beleive the Platinum edition of the album has the same song with a Finnish title and lyrics, released as a special edition single. the song has a strong Irish flavour to it. The album finishes with two stupendous tracks '7 Days to the Wolves' and 'Meadows of Heaven'.

I love the album, I love the band for producing so much wonderful music and I love Anette for being herself and not attempting to be a second Tarja.

Brilliant.

Little Of The Past
Little Of The Past
Price: 5.71

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm unable to give it ten stars!, 22 May 2004
This review is from: Little Of The Past (Audio CD)
Not just whippet-loving Yorkies, The Little Angels were, in my opinion, Britain's most under-rated band. I bought 'Jam' over 10 years ago, and its still my favourite album of all time. I've bought this compilation so I can supposedly have all the best material they have produced on one CD - but there's more, far more! It would be so so easy to make another compilation of equally good stuff. In the three major albums they have produced (Don't Prey For Me, Young Gods and Jam) there is not a single bad song. This CD contains basically all the singles (I think that it could have included their version of 'Gimme Shelter', which is also awesome) on these albums plus some others that are not.
All sing-along music with a hard-hitting attitude, Toby Jepson wrote songs from the heart and he is a brilliant vocalist. Mix this with the Dickinson brothers on guitar and keyboards, and of course the 'Big Bad Horns', and you get this fantastic unique sound, that honestly, I don't think any other band has quite come close to producing. I had the privilage of seeing them in concert in '93. Unfortunately, the band split up not long after, but at least they went out on top. Very much a case of quality not quantity in terms of songs.
If you like the songs on this album, then get the three albums listed above. Best songs - well all of them really, but my favourites are 'Too Much...', 'Boneyard', 'King Up Dust', 'Young Gods', 'Soapbox' and, nearly a top-ten hit 'Womankind'.
Awesome band, awesome songs......

Hawkwind - Out Of The Shadows  [DVD]
Hawkwind - Out Of The Shadows [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hawkwind
Price: 10.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny.., 25 April 2004
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this DVD. Good sound andphotography, excellent picture. Songs mainly from the '70s, only marredslightly by Arthur Brown's antics and vocals of varying quality, sometimesforgetting the correct words (stick to "Fire" Arthur).
All songs are played masterfully with Arthur singing Bob Calvert's"Aerospaceage Inferno", a version quite different from the original. Ismirked when Dave Brock referred to "Out of the Shadows" as an 'old' song,proving that time is only relative, as its one of the most recent on theDVD.
The highlights are "Hurry on Sundown" followed by Tim Blake's"Lighthouse", Lemmy's "The Watcher" played "Motorhead" style, "Assassinsof Allah" with Alan Davey at his very best, and "Earth Calling" aka "YouShouldn't Do That..." all faultless performances, no coincidence thatArthur doesn't feature in any of these...he returns later on to recite"Sonic Attack" interlaced with "Spacebrock", and of course "SilverMachine" to finish off.
The band gets better with time and I'm amazed at how young Huw looks,considering he features on HW's first album in 1970!
Psychedelic Space Rock rules.

Page: 1 | 2