Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris

Page: 1 | 2
Radio Times Guide to Films 2016
Radio Times Guide to Films 2016

5.0 out of 5 stars I have found this particular product amazingly better. Not only does it give write-ups for an ..., 13 Jan. 2016
For a number of years I had been using the annual Leonard Maltin film guide. For reason(s) unknown, the 2015 edition will be the last so I looking for an alternative.
Albeit a bit pricier, I have found this particular product amazingly better. Not only does it give write-ups for an extensive amount of films and DVD's, but there is also a listing of a huge number of actors.
Fantastic - very highly recommended.

Masque of the Red Death [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Masque of the Red Death [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile effort, 17 July 2015
The original version with Vincent Price was an exceptional film - with Price at his very best. This later version lacked the 'creepiness and the 'threat' element but non-the-less was a very competent effort and well worth the viewing. All the cast put in good performances and it was a delight to see the great Patrick Macnee playing the sinister red death character very much against type - he'll forever be remembered as John Steed and how much we'll miss dear old Patrick !
One last thing, I purchased the DVD from an American seller and it was advertised as Region 1. I am pleased to announce that it played with no problems on my Region 2 recorder.

The Hill (La Colina) Spanish Import
The Hill (La Colina) Spanish Import
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by GREAT4DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film. Some of the previous reviewers have cited ..., 8 Oct. 2014
Brilliant film. Some of the previous reviewers have cited some cast members for their quality performance. No argument from me there but Roy Kinnear also appeared, in a suppporting role, and also deserves high praise. Likewise the coloured gentleman whose name escapes me. In my opinion, Connery never bettered this performance and he, along with Harry Andrews and Ian Hendry should have been given Oscars !

Winchester Cathedral
Winchester Cathedral

5.0 out of 5 stars smashing, super, great, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Winchester Cathedral (Audio CD)
Despite one or two dodgy tracks, this is a fantastic album. A tad like the Temperance Seven, this is very clever stuff. Accomplished musicians performing old standards with a tinge of humour in a old fashioned way - vocals performed through a megaphone. It sounds like you are listening to a 30's or 40's record with no hiss or crackle. The band didn't record anything else as far as I am aware other than what is on this album. Great fun - great music - great album - or as Jim Bowen would say "smashing, super, great".

Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen
Offered by Rikdev Media

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting enough to keep watching, 31 Jan. 2014
This is a slow moving but interesting effort in the ever continuing Hannibal Lecter saga. Mads does a good job as our anti-hero but non-the-less, is miles behind the renditions of Brian Cox and Anthony Hopkins. This collection is referred to as Season 1 so I have a sneaking suspicion there will be a Season 2 (!!!) - trouble is, in one way or another we have seen Hannibal on film from age 7 approx. onwards - what else can be dragged up ? There will surely be a time to leave Hannibal to his devices and let him enjoy his one-handed retirement in peace to concentrate on his unusual cooking skills ie we have seen it all before !
This TV effort is not bad and it is worth watching but it does lack the skilled tension of its predecessors.

Agatha Christie's Poirot - Collection 9 [DVD]
Agatha Christie's Poirot - Collection 9 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Suchet

5.0 out of 5 stars well done David !, 15 Dec. 2013
Series 13 or Collection 9 however you refer to it is simply brilliant. The previous reviews say it all for me !
Well done David Suchet - I am so pleased for you that you were able to complete the entire set of Poirot stories. That achievement must give you immense satisfaction. I now can only look forward to more Miss Marple adaptations which fantastic as they are, do not have the same 'feel' as Poirot. Bye bye Hercule.

Agatha Christie's Marple - Series 6 [DVD]
Agatha Christie's Marple - Series 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia McKenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars no ads !, 15 Dec. 2013
No info on this product yet but I imagine that two of the films on this set are 'A Caribbean mystery' and 'Greenshaw's folly' since they have both been screened fairly recently on ITV. There is a third title (Endless night) which has not been screened yet but is very likely to be included in this Miss Marple set (series 6).
The two titles screened to date are excellent in every detail as they always are, and I am looking forward to owning this set very soon to add to my collection. The Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot TV adaptions are brilliant - and of course no ads in the dvd's ! I look forward to more Miss Marple adaptions over the coming years - no more Poirot to look forward to unfortunately but I am so glad for David Suchet that he was allowed to complete the entire set of Poirot stories. I don't think giving the role to another actor would be acceptable for many years to come. I wonder how long Julia Mackenzie can carry on with her good work as Miss Marple ?

In Love With Maastricht - A Tribute To My Hometown
In Love With Maastricht - A Tribute To My Hometown

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant entertainment, 18 Jun. 2013
Andre Rieu has once again put together an entertaining, visual and musical experience which is absolutely magical. What more can I say ? He's done it so many times before and long may it continue.

Palm Springs 3m x 9m Marquee
Palm Springs 3m x 9m Marquee
Offered by The Sports HQ

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good purchase, 14 Jun. 2013
I was a little apprehensive that the item would arrive incomplete or pieces broken but as it turns out this Marquee arrived in perfect condition and entirely complete - except for the instruction leaflet but luckily I had a 5 year old at hand so was able to construct it with no bother. It was dismantled easily as well.
I will highly recommend this product. I suspect though that if you want to put it to some considerable usage, its life may be found to be limited and in that event, you would need to fork out a more considerable amount of cash for a harder wearing version.
It did our little party proud however.

Les Roses De La Vie
Les Roses De La Vie

5.0 out of 5 stars Andre Rieu top of the tree as usual, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Les Roses De La Vie (Audio CD)
This man has done it again ! Simply superb stuff - ANYTHING by Andre Rieu is absolute perfection.
You have not fully appreciated music until you have seen and heard this man and his wonderful JSO and choir.

Page: 1 | 2