Profile for GreyMan > Reviews

Content by GreyMan

GreyMan

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera - Black (16.1MP, Live MOS, M.Zuiko 12-50mm Lens) 3.0 inch OLED
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs DSLRs when you have this?, 22 May 2013
In the past 10 years I used quite a few cameras, and image quality was always paramount to me. I had Olympus C8080 before I switched to Canon 450D, from which I moved to Olympus E-M5. I'm not a brand fanboy (never understood Nikon vs Canon holywar) and would always chose camera according to my needs/finance, not by brand. I also used some medium-class cameras such as Canon 40D and Canon 7D, with a bunch of zoom and prime lenses (most of them rented out).

One thing I noted that it was more and more often I would leave my Canon at home. Either because of the bulk or fear that I would look too intrusive having a big black camera with a massive lens with me. The best camera is the one that is with you, so I started looking around for smaller alternatives.

I was watching Micro Four Thirds system development closely for about a year, and it would tick all the boxes - compact size without compromise on features, wide choice of high quality glass, beautiful Olympus colour, out-of-camera JPEG and in-body stabilizer - except the image sensor that was a couple of years behind the competition, so that low-light images would suffer from excessive noise.

The game changed when Olympus presented E-M5 with brand new Sony sensor (later also adopted by Panasonic GH3), and I bought it via pre-order.

Having had the E-M5 for about a year now, I don't understand why people still buy entry-level DLSRs! Image quality with good lenses is absolutely smashing!
Seriously, every time I compare my images shot by Canon 450D and this tiny little beast, I have a feeling that I was using a beer bottle as a lens before, so crystal clear and razor sharp images from Olympus are!

The good things (not complete but the most important for me):

* Image sensor has high sensitivity and dynamic range, on par (or better!) than most of entry/mid level DSLRs
* In-body stabilizer is a miracle - in 99% of cases I don't use tripod, and having sharp handheld images with 1/2 sec speed (!!!) is a norm
* Metering and auto white balance is very good, I only correct them in maybe 10% of my pictures
* Autofocus speed is lighting fast (except some older lenses)
* Features and customization is on par with top DSLRs
* Out-of-camera JPEG are very good

The bad things:

* second battery is a must - stabilizer and bright screen eat a lot of energy
* kit lens (12-50) is mediocre for stills, I only use it for video
* bundled RAW processing software is rather slow
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 4:50 PM BST

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 Lens - Silver
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 Lens - Silver
Offered by NextLevelSavings

5.0 out of 5 stars the most useful m43 prime, 22 May 2013
I bought this lens about a year ago with couple of other primes (Olympus 12/2 and Panasonic 20/1.7), and this is my most popular lens by far. Excellent sharpness, very fast autofocus, nice bokeh, low price. I use it not only for portraits, but for landscape and street photography too. It's perfect for panoramas as it has very little distortion.
The only pity that hood is not included, and native one is overpriced, but I just bought JJC hood and happy with it.

Neewer Type B Tilting Bracket with Universal Hot Shoe for Flashes
Neewer Type B Tilting Bracket with Universal Hot Shoe for Flashes
Offered by Ultra Sales Global

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Aug. 2012
The hot shoe tightening mechanism is absolute rubbish. It's simply not possible to tighten because the bolt is too short! Why oh why they couldn't make it 2mm longer?

Battleground: Code Red
Battleground: Code Red
by Chris Ryan

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Battleground: Code Red (Hardcover)
Just finished this book with a sense of regret for both the time and money spent. The plot is weak and unrealistic, and execution is poor.

I don't want repeat the other reviewer about how unreal the teenage hero actions are, or how Taliban fighters are described. But I started laughing from the first pages when I read how just ten (!) Russian soldiers transported a suitcase nuclear bomb (!) somewhere in Afghanistan mountains (!). Why would they do it?! Probably just to let Mujahideens capture it.

But it got worse. You would expect that ex-SAS soldier would know that CORDITE is a propellant not the high explosive, yet everything that explodes in his books smells of cordite. (In fact it's TNT or H-6/hexogen based explosives, such as tritonal, that are actually used in modern bombs and mines). Just because the book is targeted at teenage boys doesn't explain all the blunders the author made.

And what about all of these repetitive adjectives? Mountain is always "craggy", smell is "acrid" etc.

I read a couple of other Chris Ryan books and he definitely dropped the standards in this one.