Profile for Ed Jie > Reviews

Ed Jie (Switzerland)

Page: 1 | 2
Photographer's Guide to the Canon PowerShot S110
Photographer's Guide to the Canon PowerShot S110

4.0 out of 5 stars but goes deep enough to walk usefully describe how to get the best out of the camera functions and switch completely to ..., 15 Nov. 2014
I don't normally buy books to help with small devices, but after using the S110 on Av mode for the first day, I felt that there was a lot of potential in the camera if I had more technical information.
The book gives just the right amount of information to to be readable, but goes deep enough to walk usefully describe how to get the best out of the camera functions and switch completely to M mode

The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism

4.0 out of 5 stars Future backwards?, 11 Oct. 2014
Well grounded forward view of possible societies.

The Cities Book Mini: A Journey Through the Best Cities in the World (Lonely Planet Pictorials)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee table book for small city condos, 18 Dec. 2013
Great sweep across the world for anyone, who like me, LOVES cities and city living. Smart, space saving, time saving dip into each location just before your city break. Clear and relevant photographs. It seems to be missing a few majors like Doha, Kingston, Sao Paulo, Valencia and Zurich, but that does not detract from the quality of all cities included.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2014 11:58 AM GMT

Digital Bank
Digital Bank

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into the future of banking and money, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Digital Bank (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read about the current situation and the inevitable move of banks from managing clients and their money to the new paradigm of creating value out of client information and client relationships to finance.
Chris Skinner presents the inevitable change as a continuum extending from now into the next decade and he provides real examples to support this set of changes. He also describes the upcoming payment alternatives including Bitcoin and virtual currencies and the possible impacts on the future of Banking.
Banks, unlike other industries, are yet to either embrace, or be disrupted by, the new service and business models made possible by the convergence of internet, unlimited bandwidth, and smartphone/ tablet power and form factors.
Banks will have to change their 30 year old business models, , branch networks, ways of working and the respective technical systems in order to survive in this new Internet connected world by, to a large extent, completely re-inventing themselves and their relationships to "clients".
Quite simply..... the power of Bank over Client will be replaced by the power of Client over Bank. Banks will need to work harder and more smartly to make their profits and retain their clients.

Why do Banks need to become more digital?
As an example of today. My Bank takes my monthly salary and income electronically, allows me to withdraw cash, gives me a debit/credit card card and charges me for services but pays nearly no interest on my money. They enable me to do e-banking so that I can independently manage my payment, standing order, payments etc and although I am rather solvent, they still think it is sensible for them to call me or post me information to take expensive personal loans every single month.
Do they actually care about me .... the "client", my family, my status, my interests or my intended future? I would say unconditionally "NO". And they do not realise that I have not visited one of their many branches in over 10 years.

As I get wealthier, they offer me more expensive services, platinum cards, ideas for opera tickets, symphony orchestra concerts, and high end holidays in far-flung places. I intensely dislike opera, and symphony orchestras, yet the Bank feels that it should offer me these most costly services and ideas.
Once again, the Bank appears to care more about their short term income than my actual needs and requirements.

In summary, the future belongs to banks who offer superior services, individualized information on multiple platforms and formats 24/7 and absolutely geared to peoples lives and at zero cost.

Instant MBA: Think, Perform and Earn Like a Top Business School Graduate (52 Brilliant Ideas)

2.0 out of 5 stars The word "Instant" doth not an MBA make... it lacks focus, 28 Sept. 2013
I think that Bates has the personal goal of delivering material for himself to make money rather than helping people to get an “Instant MBA”. He does not go deep enough in the parts of an MBA which make a difference. He brushes over finance, and he does not say much about operational management or strategy.
He doesn’t include much in terms of diagrams. He focuses on just a few pet firms like Starbucks and Apple and “The New Way of Work” and does not make a clear difference between products and services. He says very little concerning working internationally and misses out the real impacts of mobile and internet technologies, online learning, collaboration, whilst attempting to denigrate the hard work that many MBAs have to put in. He misses out statistics and modelling whilst implying that everyone can adopt measures of excellence in a short time.
It also does not make sense to say that you can learn how to be an entrepreneur in just 4 pages. Most MBAs continue their work in the corporate arena. He needs to make the difference between consultant thinking and MBA thinking.
Not all MBA schools are created equally. And not all course contents are either.

On a positive note, Bates gives the reader a potential “feel-good” factor making the reader feel that he has saved a few thousands by not attending an MBA course.

The Best Camera Is The One That's With You: iPhone Photography by Chase Jarvis (Voices That Matter)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and over rated...., 28 Sept. 2013
I don't often post negative reviews but I thought that this book was very overrated.
Great title to draw you in, but in the end, the content was less than spectactular.
I am a bit disappointed not to have done more research befor ethe purchase.

What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical but a job in itself, 14 Sept. 2013
This book is well structured and thought out, but should be read over a long period of time BEFORE one is unemployed.
I would give it 4 stars, but as a "Know yourself" book it goes a bit over the top.

Seeing Red
Seeing Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic insight into the world of refereeing, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Seeing Red (Kindle Edition)
Poll gives a great insight into the small world of elite referees. He brings all the issues, pressures, highs and lows on board but also lets us the fans, the players, and the others understand that every referee is also "a human". Its a well written book that should inspire those thinking of becoming referees in the future. All Premier League fans should read it too so they can be better informed about the various refereeing "mistakes".

Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)
Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Would I buy a MacBook Air? After 2 weeks with my Chromebook, NO!, 17 Aug. 2013
Two weeks of living with a Chromebook.
I am writing this article after living for two weeks with my Samsung Chromebook (ARM powered).

Why did I buy a Chromebook?
Because my dear “vintage” white MacBook finally really died 3 weeks ago.
The logical choice seemed to be the 11 inch Macbook Air, but after the age of netbooks, and tablets I wanted something somewhat cheaper.

What was I looking for?
Something light, cheap, that started up quickly and had a nice bright screen for emails, browsing, blogging, skping, youtube, iplayer etc. Nothing esoteric, since I don’t play games or do complicated movie editing but I did want but a real keyboard, and not a “type on the glass” version. I am already Googlified and I normally use Firefox when on Mac or Windows platforms.

What do I like about the Chromebook?
It goes from dead closed and off straight to full browsing in less than 10 seconds
Light enough to take from room to room at home without a thought
Backward/forward dedicated web keys
6hr battery life on wifi, good staying power and relatively quick charging
Low cost means I won’t be crying if it starts to have problems within 6 months
Security - no more watching or waiting for updates
Google Docs offline and resynch
11 inch Screen resolution is fine
Kindle Reader App
Chromebook survived a small incident with a bottle of Evian
I can leave 5 dozen tabs open permanently and Chromebook doesn’t die!

What could Samsung and Google improve on the Chromebook?
I find the photo rendering too slow.
Camera resolution is really low
Face recognition unlocking would be nice.
Skype isn’t available on Chrome, but I am getting used to Hangouts
Where’s the CAPS lock or key combo?

Would I buy a MacBook Air?
After 2 weeks with my Chromebook, I am not turning back. There is no chance that I would want the MBA even if it is a higher quality piece of engineering. And we won’t even talk about price.

Disclaimer
I will admit that I do own a couple of Apple shares, but do not own any Google shares.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 9:34 PM GMT

Canon imageFORMULA P-208 Portable Scanner
Canon imageFORMULA P-208 Portable Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for low volume home use, 30 April 2013
I purchased the product to scan a few documents on a weekly basis. The scanner worked perfectly after downloading the software for the Mac platform from Canon, and literally within ten minutes of un-boxing I could scan and save to directly to my Mac Mini or email to my cloud account. It is cleverly constructed and although the little paper guide arms look flimsy, they are actually quite robust and stiff enough to ensure that input papers run through the scanner straight and true. It is small enough to be left on the office desk all day, but light enough to be removed every afternoon if necessary. A bonus is the single-pass dual-sided scanning. Definitely recommended for home user.

Page: 1 | 2