Profile for @nlpthirteen > Reviews

Content by @nlpthirteen

@nlpthirteen

Best Knickers Always: 50 Lessons for Midlife
Best Knickers Always: 50 Lessons for Midlife

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book no matter your time of life..., 2 April 2013
50 Lessons is a great little book. Packed with short lessons. To make you think. To raise your awareness. To ask you some challenging questions. To inspire you to take action. Perfect to keep by the bed to dip into each night. To drop in your briefcase for between meetings. Or to have on your Kindle any time when you're in need of inspiration or a kick in the butt. Whatever the title, it's not just for midlife. It's great reminders and lessons for anyone and everyone at almost any point in life. I thought I'd pick out my favorite five and add my own thoughts:

LESSON #2. YOU ARE MORE COURAGEOUS THAN YOU BELIEVE Courage is ALL about heart. It's the mental strength or spirit to venture, persevere, and withstand - danger, fear, pain, or difficulty. I am 100% sure you have much more courage than you know. And you see courage reflected in others where they themselves think they are exhibiting fear or weakness.

LESSON #7. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING IN YOUR WAY There is no one else that says... I can't, I won't, I shouldn't, I give up... Take a step back and listen to the words you use and consider the impact of those words on your behavior and your life. It's down to you to change what you say, what you think and what you do.

LESSON #24. BE LESS AVAILABLE So many of us these days lead lives governed by electronic wizardry. Whether we work from home or from an office, we are never more than a couple of feet from our phone, our email and the internet delights of Facebook, Twitter and whatever the next big thing will be for us to waste time on. Set yourself a challenge. Switch off. An hour. Perhaps two. Or even 24 on a weekend. Get out in the garden. Play with the kids. Cook something different that you haven't done before for dinner. Read a book! Whatever takes your fancy...

LESSON #36. RESPONSIBILITY Excuses, excuses, excuses - get you absolutely nowhere. Your life is your responsibility. Your success is in your hands...

LESSON #38. IT'S OKAY TO SHOW YOUR VULNERABILITY Vulnerability is NOT weakness. Vulnerability IS about emotional risk, exposure and uncertainty. Vulnerability IS our most accurate measure of courage. Vulnerability IS the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.

Touching Distance
Touching Distance
by Beverley Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-down-able!, 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Touching Distance (Hardcover)
I bought this book by James Cracknell and his wife Bev Turner on Friday, started it on Sunday afternoon and finished it by Monday afternoon. It's not a short book by any means, but I just couldn't put it down once I'd started. Thank goodness I already had Monday booked as a day off! It's an inspiring, moving, down to earth, well written account not only of James' rise to rowing fame and double gold medal glory, but also of his retirement from rowing, transition to becoming one of the ultimate endurance athletes of recent years and then the entirely different challenge of his recovery after a bike accident in the US and the resulting traumatic brain injury. Very highly recommended, even by someone who knows next to nothing about rowing!