ARRAY(0xb0620180)

Profile for BookObsessive > Reviews

Content by BookObsessive

BookObsessive "Sarah" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Madeline : The Whore of Paris - Book 1
Madeline : The Whore of Paris - Book 1
Price: 1.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting the scene, 21 Feb 2014
This book is a real page turner, I'm going to go straight to the 2nd book in the series. It's a well written opening to the Madeline... series. I think fans of Sarah Waters will also becomes fans this series.

Shelf Life: The Publicist - Book Two: 2
Shelf Life: The Publicist - Book Two: 2
by Christina George
Price: 5.78

4.0 out of 5 stars The Publicist #2, 27 Dec 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's a good solid 4 star read. Christina George really knows the world of publishing. I have read both books in the series and I can highly recommend both reads. I'm looking forward to reading more by Christina George.

The Publicist: 1
The Publicist: 1
by Christina George
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars The Publicist, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Publicist: 1 (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I would have given it 5 stars but there are about 3 typos, harsh I know! Christina George really knows the world of publishing. I have since read the 2nd book in the series, I can highly recommend both reads. I'm looking forward to reading more by Christina George.

Tulips
Tulips
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of Tulips, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tulips (Kindle Edition)
A short story based around middle aged who meets an eccentric poet whom shows her the true beauty of Tulips and their fascinating history.

The Fever Tree
The Fever Tree
by Jennifer McVeigh

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 8 April 2012
This review is from: The Fever Tree (Paperback)
This book just kept getting better and better, with so many twists and turns along the way. The author Jennifer Mcveigh has an MA in Creative Writing which is evident throughout the book. I think fans of Sarah Waters will also become a fan of Mcveigh. I will definately be looking out for this author in the future and recommending her to friends.

I Heart New York
I Heart New York
by Lindsey Kelk
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars nearly loved it, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: I Heart New York (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, but couldn't give it 5 stars because it wasn't really long enough. About 50 pages from the end it felt like the author had either decided how she wanted the book or she was just nearing her deadline. I am looking forward to reading the other 'I Heart..' books. I loved reading about NYC and the shoes and bags.

Midwife on Call
Midwife on Call
by Agnes Light
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Midwife on Call (Paperback)
I read about 100 or so and decided that I really didn't take to this author. I even found some of the things she said very offensive- such as reading about her practising her intubating technique on a stillborn baby, which I just found degrading and heartbreaking for the innocent baby and it's parents who were none the wiser. Also when Light is on a plane she is 'desperate' for the pilot to request a midwife's assistance, but 'sadly' this hasn't happened- most airlines it seems don't let you fly after about 28 weeks so I'm not sure why she would wish for a lady to deliver prematurely which would put both the mother and baby's lives at risk, especially when they are on a plane without the proper medical equipment.

Dot May Dunn's Twelve Babies on a Bike is a much better read.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 5:19 PM GMT

The Rise And Fall Of A Yummy Mummy
The Rise And Fall Of A Yummy Mummy
by Polly Williams
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 23 Jan 2012
It's not often I give a book 5/5, makes me laugh out loud or almosts makes me cry- but this fantastic book has achieved all 3 of these aspects! I read this when my daughter was the same age as the character's daughter and so I could relate to some of Amy's experiences. I will definately be checking out more by Polly Williams.

Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
by Gill Rapley
Price: 6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this book, even if you've already decided to BLW or if you are as yet undecided, 10 Jan 2012
I was unsure how to start weaning and which method I would chose when my health visitor recommended BLW. I decided that this was the route to take, especially following further discussion with my friend who had done BLW with her daughter, she lent me this book and I am so glad that she did. I started reading this book about a week or so before I started weaning, so by this point I had decided upon BLW, the first part of the book is very much sales pitch for BLW, which gets a bit much to some extent. I wish there had been time for my husband to read this book also before we started weaning. Oh and I have been tempted to buy a copy for the in-laws who don't seem to approve of BLW. 'Ooh I feel so sorry for her having to fend for herself, especially with no teeth' when my daughter was quite happily eating slices of pear!

Spies
Spies
by Michael Frayn

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars is generous, 16 Nov 2011
This review is from: Spies (Paperback)
Hmmm I'm not sure what to think of this, it wasn't my usual kind of book. I was tied between giving it 2 or 3 stars. Once I got into it I read it incredibly quickly and I was intrigued to find out how it ended. I agree with the reviewer who questioned why this book had won awards.

Page: 1 | 2