Profile for BookObsessive > Reviews

Content by BookObsessive

BookObsessive "Sarah" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Perfume Collector
The Perfume Collector

5.0 out of 5 stars It's rare that I give a book 5 stars but ..., 22 Nov 2014
It's rare that I give a book 5 stars but this has gone onto my favourites list. It's got glamour, intrigue and just the right amount of detail about perfume.
The reviewer who gave this book a low review because there wasn't enough written about Paris in the 1950s- the book is partly set there, it's not what the book is about

Playing for Julia
Playing for Julia

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 8 Oct 2014
This review is from: Playing for Julia (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, it's gone into my top 10 books. Set in the 1960s, it gave insights into the decade, the world of publishing, fashion scene and music industry. It evoked memories of my honeymoon which began in San Francisco. Great sex too!

Tempt Me
Tempt Me

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars is being generous. This book needs an ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Tempt Me (Kindle Edition)
3 stars is being generous. This book needs an editor to correct the continuation errors. This is isn't erotic fiction, as the cover suggests.

Madeline : The Whore of Paris - Book 1
Madeline : The Whore of Paris - Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting the scene, 21 Feb 2014
This book is a real page turner, I'm going to go straight to the 2nd book in the series. It's a well written opening to the Madeline... series. I think fans of Sarah Waters will also becomes fans this series.

Shelf Life: The Publicist - Book Two: 2
Shelf Life: The Publicist - Book Two: 2
by Christina George

4.0 out of 5 stars The Publicist #2, 27 Dec 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's a good solid 4 star read. Christina George really knows the world of publishing. I have read both books in the series and I can highly recommend both reads. I'm looking forward to reading more by Christina George.

The Publicist: 1
The Publicist: 1
by Christina George

4.0 out of 5 stars The Publicist, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Publicist: 1 (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I would have given it 5 stars but there are about 3 typos, harsh I know! Christina George really knows the world of publishing. I have since read the 2nd book in the series, I can highly recommend both reads. I'm looking forward to reading more by Christina George.

Tulips
Tulips

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of Tulips, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tulips (Kindle Edition)
A short story based around middle aged who meets an eccentric poet whom shows her the true beauty of Tulips and their fascinating history.

The Fever Tree
The Fever Tree
by Jennifer McVeigh

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 8 April 2012
This review is from: The Fever Tree (Paperback)
This book just kept getting better and better, with so many twists and turns along the way. The author Jennifer Mcveigh has an MA in Creative Writing which is evident throughout the book. I think fans of Sarah Waters will also become a fan of Mcveigh. I will definately be looking out for this author in the future and recommending her to friends.

I Heart New York
I Heart New York
by Lindsey Kelk

4.0 out of 5 stars nearly loved it, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: I Heart New York (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, but couldn't give it 5 stars because it wasn't really long enough. About 50 pages from the end it felt like the author had either decided how she wanted the book or she was just nearing her deadline. I am looking forward to reading the other 'I Heart..' books. I loved reading about NYC and the shoes and bags.

Midwife on Call
Midwife on Call
by Agnes Light

1.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Midwife on Call (Paperback)
I read about 100 or so and decided that I really didn't take to this author. I even found some of the things she said very offensive- such as reading about her practising her intubating technique on a stillborn baby, which I just found degrading and heartbreaking for the innocent baby and it's parents who were none the wiser. Also when Light is on a plane she is 'desperate' for the pilot to request a midwife's assistance, but 'sadly' this hasn't happened- most airlines it seems don't let you fly after about 28 weeks so I'm not sure why she would wish for a lady to deliver prematurely which would put both the mother and baby's lives at risk, especially when they are on a plane without the proper medical equipment.

Dot May Dunn's Twelve Babies on a Bike is a much better read.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 5:19 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2