Profile for Sarah Gilani > Reviews

Content by Sarah Gilani

Sarah Gilani (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Rich On Paper Poor On Life
Rich On Paper Poor On Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Feb. 2015
A great book.

JOULES Girls JNR Field Girls Welly Wellington Boots R-JNRFIELDWELLYG Hot Pink 9 UK Child, 27 EU, 10 US Child
Price: Click here to see our price

3.0 out of 5 stars Good welly. Bigger fit than expected., 16 Oct. 2014
The local stores sold out of Joules Wellies, so I had to order online after the nice lady at John Lewis (who had sold out) did the size fitting in store. We needed the wellies urgently for the next day so I ordered online. However, when they arrived, we discovered that the fit was larger. I would have returned the wellies but we needed them, so my little girl now wears them with an extra pair of thick sox (we'll maybe get joules welly sox). Now we know that the fit is different, on different designs of Joules boots..
Good boots, if you can afford them (they're a bit more expensive than the competitors).

The Ransom of Dond
The Ransom of Dond

5.0 out of 5 stars Siabhan Dowd is the best writer for children of her generation, 7 July 2014
Siabhan Dowd is the best writer for children of her generation! Unfortunately not with us now... but nevertheless. This is an absolutely brilliant short book.

[Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting] [by: Robert McKee]
by Robert McKee

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say: this book changed my life ..., 7 July 2014
What can I say: this book changed my life. I'm an aspiring novelist and aspiring screenwriter and this book helped me more than anything or anyone EVER... other than God, my dad, my mom, my siblings etc [Just preparing my acceptance speech for the first Oscar :) ]

Ordinary People [DVD]
Ordinary People [DVD]
Dvd ~ Donald Sutherland
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent movie Loved it, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Ordinary People [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent movie Loved it. Watched it when I was 7 years old (ehem not too long ago ish) and I remember thinking even then: Conrad, you're lucky to have a mom, don't get so beat up if she hates you; kak happens; take the French Toast and eat it - it tastes nice and you have a lovely lovely house xo Still an excellent movie in every respect.

The Oxford History of Byzantium
The Oxford History of Byzantium

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book. Easy to read, 7 July 2014
A good book. Easy to read, for a history book. Lots of pictures. I have the Kindle edition and the pictures and captions are actually almost next to each other: that's good. Most Kindle books with illustrations - the illustrations are all the wrong size and not placed near the relevant text - but this book was (typeset) done very well.

CHINATOWN
CHINATOWN
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent: I was really surprised, 15 April 2014
This review is from: CHINATOWN (Amazon Instant Video)
I don't usually like film noir - you know - where the hero and heroine aren't exactly morally upright people... but this film was great. I more into romance usually. I would recommend this film to anyone, though you have to pay attention as the plot becomes quite intricate as the film goes on and if you miss a bit it will spoil it for you. There aren't too many naughty bits either though this is definitely a film for adults NOT young people. The performances are excellent, script is drop dead - witty, suspenseful. Ending is not predictable.

The Deer Hunter
The Deer Hunter
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film, 15 April 2014
I really like this film, would watch it again if I had the time. There is lots of drama, its a bit gory - and extremely sad. However, I was quite surprised that it ends on a hopeful note despite everything. I DO wonder why people drink alcohol (the characters drink a lot!) - it's just not good for you! :)

The Puffin History of India for Children: 3000 BC to AD 1947
The Puffin History of India for Children: 3000 BC to AD 1947
by Roshen Dalal

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the history of India, 6 April 2014
I bought this book as I wanted to read a short version of the whole of Indian history. It's quite a thick book, and I'm not sure that it would hold the attention of ANY children unless they are fans of history - however - I'm an adult and I still thought it was an excellent read. The text is well structured, into short sections - chapters and sub-headings are helpful. You can read just the sections you are interested in because the relevant information is repeated in each chapter if necessary. However, if you're reading the book cover-to-cover (like I did), it might be a little irritating to have the same information repeated several times.
There are only black and white illustrations (as far as I remember there are only line-illustrations, no photos at all, though a lot of helpful maps). There are lots of diagrams, which is good.
As I said, the book would have benefited from having photos of historical objects, preferably in colour. Also, sometimes the author refers to place-names which are difficult to find on any of the maps provided. This was a bit annoying.
I haven't finished the whole book yet, but I was quite pleased that the book seemed quite balanced, not racist or prejudiced against any particular group of Indians (caste, race, religion etc) - sometimes this can be a problem in India. I'm Muslim-Indian origin myself. This book was ok in its perspective, though I had very little knowledge of Indian history (until I read this book) so I can't be sure whether the historical detail is truly balanced: I'd have to read other books etc to form a better opinion. The book is actually "Indian", published by Penguin/Puffin in India, and written by an Indian author.
I haven't been able to find a book like it. It focuses on Indian history, breaks it down into sections of history - in chronological order, providing lots of helpful maps and line illustrations. I'd recommend it to anyone; it might be a little off-putting to children under 12 yrs of age.

Writing TV Scripts: Successful Writing in Ten Weeks: 1
Writing TV Scripts: Successful Writing in Ten Weeks: 1
by Steve Wetton

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book/guide, 5 April 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to start writing TV scrips, but really anyone can use it as a guide. I found it a really useful start but I'm going to use it as a reference book too. I thought the writer seemed really sincere - it's hard to find people in this industry who are sincerely wanting to support new writers - without any strings attached (I think), other than buying the book of course.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3