Profile for Dr. Ew > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Time Without Consequence
Time Without Consequence

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 13 Jun 2012
This is a really great CD and one I know I will listen to over and over for years to come. It reminds me so much of many of my favourite artists, most notably Nick Drake and even at times John Martyn. However, this is the reason I only give it four stars. Only one track Breath (which I first heard on Star Gate: Universe) truely stands out as really unique to the artist, the rest are really good pieces "in the style of". The most guilty of this is track 10 - this sounds sooo much like a Doves track that I had to stop listening to see if this was a solo project for them.

That aside, I great addition to the collection that won't get buried and forgotten. I always like it when you come to an artist late and find that you have a back catalogue to go through. Buy it.

Sons Of Noel And Adrian
Sons Of Noel And Adrian
Offered by aardvark-games

3.0 out of 5 stars Marmite, 23 Dec 2009
This review is from: Sons Of Noel And Adrian (Audio CD)
On paper I should love this album given the ensemble of collaborators, and yet somehow I struggle with it. The instrumental aspect and arrangements are fantastic. It's just I can't get over the lead vocal style, which can be recreated by doing a ghostly moaning sound and rapidly and repeatedly hitting yourself in the Adams apple.

I have found that listening to the tracks one at a time or mixed in with a playlist is the best way, as otherwise the vocal affectation makes 80% of the songs sound the same just with different instrumental melodies.

I do like it, don't get me wrong, but I can't see me falling in love with the album in the same way as a Fionn Regan or Leisure Society LP.

Tim's House
Tim's House

3.0 out of 5 stars It's quite nice if you like this kind of thing, 10 Oct 2007
This review is from: Tim's House (Audio CD)
Like many people I bought this after hearing "Your Song" on the radio as I thought "Well she's a lot less whiney sounding than Katie Melua" and I had a space for softly sung acoustic lady talent in my collection. Overall it's a good album, but no other track sticks out like "Your Song" did. I've listened to it perhaps six or seven times and probably couldn't sing any of the other tracks back to you.

As a new artist I do compare her to others, I am reminded strongly of Jemma Hayes whose song structures, chords sequences and delivery are very similar, but with a fuller sound, I'm also reminded of Sixpence None the Richer who did "Kiss Me" a few years back. I think if you are in the right mood this will be perfect to listen to but not an album I imagine I will be listening to too much in a months time.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tense, 30 Mar 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
After reading the other reviews I wasn't too sure how this would play on my PC - but it plays really well at full settings I have a 2.0Ghz single core with 1 gig of RAM and an 256MB AGP Nvidea graphics card, I get no slow down with all effects on.

Graphically things look really good, I am limited to medium textures but it still looks good. The explosions are great, with implementation of physics really adding to the explosions. The fire effects look really cool, the heat distorting the air around it. Gun battles are some of the best I have had in a video game, this is made easier with a very well implemented quick command menu that pops up when you want to direct your troops around. You do tend to get killed quite a bit, it takes a moment to adjust from being a tank on legs in CofD to this game where a couple of shots can kill you. But the realism adds to the tension, so instead of charging through the streets you inch your way along the alleyways and seek cover at every point. Given the realism it does seem odd that this huge city has a population of 0. The well-rendered city is a playground for your squad and the enemy; it would have been nice to see the occasional citizen.

The game does have some bugs even after the patches. I even had to tinker with Installshield in Windows to get the game to install in the first place. At Patch 1.35 the game still occasionally locks up when the camera breaks, which is frustrating especially when near the end of a mission, as it means restarting the game and load times are fairly long. Saves are done upon completion of an area, and it is a difficult game at times. That said I have only ever felt myself or one of my team has died because I made a mistake with my tactics, not because of dodgy AI.

I am glad I bought this; it's a great game especially for under a tenner. I would recommend it, but don't be surprised if you have problems of some kind, with bugs or performance.

WipEout Pure - Platinum Edition (PSP)
WipEout Pure - Platinum Edition (PSP)
Offered by Invero

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good game, 18 Oct 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great game, and I would recommend it to anyone buying a PSP -there aren't a glut of quality games on this handheld, but this is one of the good uns. Very fast, welcoming to the novice but becomes demanding for the more skilled gamer. Great visuals and soundtracks with a good variety of tracks and ships, especially if you download the free content from the PSP web site. My only niggle is that it takes from starting the PSP 15! presses of the buttons to be able to start a race as you skip menu after menu after FMV etc etc. I know it's picky but it takes ages before you can actually play the game - more a user interface failure than anything, but still sees this being one of the few must have titles.

McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (PC)
McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Real problems installing this, 11 Feb 2006
Having used Norton firewall and anti virus for a few years with zero problems, I decided to go for this as the 50% off appealed and it was cheaper to buy a new product than upgrade my Norton products. But boy did that cause me problems. The thing is, I really do know what I'm doing with a PC, having worked with them for years, usually able to fix all my own IT problems. However, it took me four days to be able to get this product to work on my main PC. The main problem being that if I installed all the products at once (as recommended) I would be left with an inability to connect to the Internet. The product was installed correctly but something was stopping it from allowing incoming traffic. This was not a problem with any user setting that could be tweaked within the Macfee console (which I quite like by the way). This of course made it impossible to register the product, download updates, connect to the Internet in any way (even after disabling the firewall), receive emails etc. Luckily I was able to install it on a backup PC and get the thing to work, although in connecting to Macafee help web sites a fault in them meant that I was unable to go through any of the help pages, as they would not load! Sounds like some others have had this problem, so here is how I got around it. The difference in my two PC's was that one had two user accounts (you know how in XP you can have a login for you and one say, for your kids) the other didn't, and so seemed to have no problem installing and then connecting to the Internet.
I found through a process of elimination I was able to install the individual bits of software one at a time and therefore was able to workout that it was the privacy software that seemed to be causing the problem, so I have left it uninstalled along with the Spam filter which just seems a bit annoying. So eventually I got the important bits working (the firewall and anti virus) by installing in a certain order, allowing me to be protected and actually use the Internet. But it took along time, with zero help and really would have been out of the reach of most PC users to fix.
Once working I was quite happy with the product, although I do feel it’s a shame that I have to not use 50% of the product. Hope this helps – though whether most would be bothered to go through the hassle if you have this problem, or just return it is another matter.

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars Real fantasy, 17 Dec 2004
I write this having read all six of the books that tell the tale of Fitz the royal bastard and fulcrum around which the fate of the of the six Duchies turns. I thought they were great!
For me these books work so well because the characters are so filled out with personality, weakness, strength, love (not just snogging), doubt, duty, and joy.... or rather, more succinctly, humanity. They are distinct without being caricatures of classic fantasy heroes or relying on repeated verbal phrasings and obvious stylised chestnuts (late Eddings, anyone).
Also the fact that the story and plots are so reserved, you never get the feeling of grand sweeping epic, because of this it all seems so much more real and the characters are able to believably walk the world. Perhaps this is because the books are written in the first person that you are able to make the bigger story seem small, as it centres around the perceptions of one person and how they see it unfold. The pacing is always excellent, plot elements are always explained, but it might take a book or two to let you know what something meant. You are drip fed plot, action, discomfort and heroics at just the right speed, and means you don't really want to read anything else until you have finished all six books.
By being "human" you feel all the more for the torment and injury that the hero goes through and how ordeals are not shrugged off but further form the palette of the characters make up. This is a study of human frailties and the choices one makes when confronted by choice, and facing up to the consequences of your decisions right or wrong.
If you compare these books to say Lord of the rings, there is a gulf of difference. Lord of the Rings makes a great film; Hobbs books would make a great soap opera.

The Elder Gods
The Elder Gods
by David Eddings

2.0 out of 5 stars Retirement funds looking healthy, 5 May 2004
This review is from: The Elder Gods (Paperback)
Take a kid who turns out to be a deity throw in a magical jewel & some healthy slabs of plot from the Silmarrilion, dust with a prophecy or two and season with some "sardonic retorts", and what do you get?
The Belgariad, the Malloreaon, the Tamuli.........oh and now Elder Gods. I prayed that there would not be a magical stone, but there it was page 24, a sodding pearl. Lazy, lazy, lazy.
This is pure cashing in on the fanbase who like me loved the original series The Belgariad and its characters, and these books do have a charm that is created by the writing style, but come on change the record Eddings.

Fake Songs (With DVD)
Fake Songs (With DVD)
Offered by BestSellerRecordshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Studenty stuff, 12 Nov 2003
This review is from: Fake Songs (With DVD) (Audio CD)
I made the mistake of looking at the accompianing DVD before I listened to the album, and was sadly tainted because this is full of rubbish, as it is full of what is essentially media students course work. Which made me take the actual album less seriously. Although perhaps that is the point. This album is a mixture of songs sung and written in the style of....various. At times funny, at time no so funny. The best moments are the excellent United State of Whatever and the duet with the guy from Shallow Hal and Tenacious D, Rock and Roll whore. Not bad in many ways but I can't imagine I will be listening to this in six months time.

North
North

4.0 out of 5 stars Musical Whisky - Single malt, 12 Nov 2003
This review is from: North (Audio CD)
I can best describe this album as musical whisky, none of that blended stuff either, proper single malt.
This is my first Elvis C album, but it is easy to spot that this is a slight departure. Singing in a more natural baritone Mr C lays one perfectly crafted song down after another, all at a snails tempo with minimalistic arrangements adding the structure. This is intelligent heartfelt stuff if you're in the mood. This is music for the early hours, you can imagine that it was recorded after everybody has left the jazz bar, and Elvis is serenading a lipstick smeared brunette through a cloud of cigar smoke.
My only criticism is that all the songs are very samey and only one or two actually stand out by themselves. So if you don't like this style of music it won't get any better for you as you move through the album.
A good one for the collection.

Page: 1 | 2