Profile for V. Jenkins > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Andrew & Emma Murray: Intimate Portrait of Their Marriage and Ministry
Andrew & Emma Murray: Intimate Portrait of Their Marriage and Ministry
by Barry Murray

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll feel as if you know this extraordinary man when you're finished this book!, 9 May 2014
If, like me, you're an Andrew Murray fan, you'll thoroughly enjoy this book. It 'fleshes out' the man - giving well-researched insight into his family life - his home, his wife and his children. You'll feel as if you know this extraordinary man as a friend when you're finished, and that's really satisfying. I recommend this book! HOWEVER - there is no indication that this is the 'revised' version of her earlier book: 'Andrew Murray The Authorized Biography'. It definitely should be stated somewhere on the cover or in the blurb, so that you don't buy both books, as I did. As far as I can see, they are one and the same book. That results in a disappointed reader: disappointed that there isn't more to 'discover' about Andrew, and disappointed that you have paid twice for the same content. So - be warned: buy ONE of these books!

Andrew Murray: The Authorized Biography
Andrew Murray: The Authorized Biography
by Leona Choy
Price: 8.33

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read for Murray fans, 9 May 2014
I've recently been introduced to this amazing man, first reading his book 'The Indwelling Presence'. That started me on some research about his life, beginning with 'The Life and Works of Andrew Murray', edited by J. du Plessis. Inspired, I googled for more biographies, and discovered Leona Choy. I was excited to find this book, along with 'Andrew and Emma Murray', by Leona Choy. Thinking they were two different books, I bought both. I thoroughly enjoyed Choy's 'Authorized Biography'. It filled in the more personal details about Andrew Murray's home, marriage and family that were not included du Plessis' excellent work. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to 'meet' Andrew Murray, the man. However, don't buy BOTH of Choy's books. I was very disappointed to find that 'Andrew and Emma Murray' is virtually the same book as 'Andrew Murray: The Authorized Biography'. (Skimming through, I can find no differences; there may be a few!) When I checked booklists at the back of the book, there is the comment 'Revised as Andrew and Emma Murray'. So - buy ONE of these books and enjoy it!

The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness
The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear!, 5 April 2014
I've been pondering issues of humility versus pride; humility or self-abasement ... how to remain humble yet confident and bold ... I've been studying the humility of Jesus - reading Andrew Murray (which I highly recommend!) - mulling things over; and then - quite by chance (NOT!) I came across this short book by Timothy Keller. He uses 1 Corinthians 3: 21 - 4:7 as a foundation and proceeds to explain the 'Freedom of Self Forgetfulness' logically and in such a way that my ponderings and mullings settled into a rational understanding with a huge sigh of relief. Basically, I see it this way: the opinions of others concerning me really do not matter to me. My own opinion of me doesn't matter to me; it's God's opinion (or verdict) of me that matters, and His only. And because I believe and accept that Jesus sacrificed Himself for me, that verdict is 'not guilty', and 'accepted' and 'beloved'. I don't have to concern myself with myself anymore - I can trust all that to Him - and in this, I will stop fretting and fussing over my roller-coaster successes and failures, popularity or isolation, respect or ridicule - and be able to focus my attention on Him and on others. FREEDOM INDEED.

Harvest of Gold
Harvest of Gold
Price: 3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel to 'Harvest of Rubies' ..., 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Harvest of Gold (Kindle Edition)
If you enjoy Christian Historical fiction, I can recommend Tessa Afshar. I've read three of her books - 'Pearl in the Sand' - which makes one consider who Rahab really was: this woman branded throughout history as 'Rahab the Harlot', and yet wonderfully transformed by the God of Grace to take her place in the genealogy of the Saviour. I've just finished 'Harvest of Rubies' and 'Harvest of Gold'; two novels that bring Nehemiah to life. She researches carefully and writes well - her characters become friends and you won't be able to read about them in Scripture without a sense of connection and recognition. If you start with 'Harvest of Rubies' you will definitely buy 'Harvest of Gold'. In the 'Harvest' books, Tessa has more opportunity to preach through her characters' thoughts and conversations, and although she uses these opportunities to share her passion for God and His ways, she doesn't get bogged down. I agree with other reviewers. These were books you didn't really want to put down.

Harvest of Rubies
Harvest of Rubies
Price: 3.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian historical fiction well worth reading ..., 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Harvest of Rubies (Kindle Edition)

Face To Face With God: The Ultimate Quest to Experience His Presence
Face To Face With God: The Ultimate Quest to Experience His Presence
Price: 6.17

5.0 out of 5 stars You might catch alight yourself!, 21 Jun 2013
Are you hungry for more of God's presence? Do you long to experience more of the 'fullness' of the Holy Spirit that others talk about? Do you wonder whether we really can relate to Almighty God in personal and intimate ways? Do you have doubts or scepticism about the 'weird and wacky' manifestations of the Holy Spirit you hear about? Do you long for a spontaneous 'burning bush' experience ... for God to ambush you? Well then - read this book. Bill Johnson describes living a 'life devoted to discovering and hosting the presence of God'; 'ministering to the Lord in His actual presence'; having a 'personal quest for increased power and anointing'. He writes as you would expect that he talks; he's incisive and clear in His explanations and I was pleased that he always refers to scripture to make his points. Whilst he is a Holy Spirit adventurer/ explorer, and passionate about the holy supernatural power of God, Bill Johnson is practical and thorough and down to earth. I experienced many 'Of COURSE!' moments when I took notice and understood scriptures I'd hardly noticed, considered or understood before.

There are plenty of personal examples to emphasise relevance and it's an encouraging and inspiring read. He draws from Biblical heroes of the faith who were sold out for God, and who experienced His presence as I long to ... including Moses, who spoke 'face to face with God, as a man with his friend'; and Abraham, 'the friend of God'. He looks at more recent heroes of the faith whose passion and zeal for God infected their communities and their nations with revival: Evan Roberts of the 1900s Welsh Revival, John G. Lake, Charles Finney, Smith Wigglesworth ... and more modern heroes like Heidi Baker whose life is a burning bush in itself. Chapter headings like: 'Heading to the Promised Land'; 'His Manifest Presence'; 'Jesus, the Face of God'; 'Setting up an Ambush'; 'Never the Same Again'; 'Joy the Reward' should entice you in. This was a book that God nudged me to buy at exactly the time I needed to read it. Isn't it amazing the way He does that? If you're reading this review, you're considering purchasing the book. Go ahead. You won't be disappointed, and you might catch alight yourself.

The Captive Heart (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #2): Volume 2
The Captive Heart (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #2): Volume 2
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner for Amish fiction readers who also love gripping adventure, 25 Mar 2013
Why do we read Amish fiction? No doubt, for many of us, we enjoy exploring a different life-style, whilst finding an escape in the security of their orderly lives, strictly dictated by the 'ordnung'. Well, for those who favour some drama and adventure, in Dale Cramer's 'Daughters of Caleb Bender' trilogy, one finds the best of both worlds. Caleb and his family work hard in a hostile environment and they quickly establish a productive farm that attracts other Amish families to join them. We observe an Amish culture of hard work, faith and pacifism being established whilst being sorely tested by the challenges of corruption, violence and banditry. The relationship between Rachel and Jake grows stronger, whilst Miriam's feelings for the Nahua, Domingo, are questioned and condemned. Will she choose faith and family or follow her heart? This book is definitely not for before-bed reading as you won't be able to put it down.

Though Mountains Fall (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #3): Volume 3
Though Mountains Fall (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #3): Volume 3
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Books 1 & 2, if not better!, 23 Mar 2013
Third in this series, I was not disappointed. It was worth every penny! One usually expects to enjoy en element of calm in the peaceful rhythm of their lives when reading Amish fiction, but not so in the 'Daughters of Caleb Bender' trilogy. The pace continues at nail-biting velocity and I was hard-pressed not to skip ahead to see what would happen. Well researched and well written, one is drawn into the highlights and horrors of life in this hostile territory: Mexico in the 1920s. The stoical Amish folk face challenges they never could have imagined in back in rural Ohio. Dale Cramer's characters are 'real'. There are tragedies and triumphs, and - three books into the series, 'knowing' the characters as you do by now - you'll 'feel' the tragedies with the families concerned. Caleb Bender's faith in 'Gott' and in himself is sorely tested and tried. Did he really hear from God in the first place? Has he made a terrible mistake? Questions many of us ask ourselves today. Don't expect everything to work out the way you want it to; Cramer is a realist! If you've read books one and two, you will definitely make every effort to find and read 'Though Mountains Fall'.

The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll want to share this book with others!, 16 Mar 2013
Is your faith sagging? Your prayer-life lagging? Then 'The Circle Maker' is a must-read. Not only is the writing articulate and 'punchy'; you will be encouraged as you follow Mark Batterson's journey of faith through the pages. You will learn to listen to God and to seize the promises He is making to you, and to the people important to you. The Circle Maker is full of inspiring stories of people who believed for the impossible, and received even more. I really appreciated the way the author is very REAL. He didn't side-step or gloss over prayers that went unanswered. Once you've read 'The Circle Maker' your faith will have blossomed and you will definitely want others to benefit the same way. I was given a copy of this book, which I subsequently gave away to someone in need of encouragement. That gift was the start of a stream of kindle and paper-back copies given to other friends & co-workers on the mission field.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 1:35 PM BST

Paradise Valley (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #1)
Paradise Valley (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #1)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amish fiction taken to a higher level!, 16 Mar 2013
Amish fiction taken to a higher level! Dale Cramer draws on his own family history as the basis for this well-researched novel. Amish folk in Ohio face persecution in the 1920s when they refuse to send their children to the government school. Caleb Bender learns of good arable land available in Mexico, and he risks the unstable political climate and a hostile environment including bandits and rattle-snakes in order to raise his family according to his faith. Through it all, the family's lives and values are threatened, but their determination to remain true to what they believe is right is unshaken. The characters in the story are well developed and extremely believable. I downloaded this novel for free, but I've purchased the next two in the trilogy. Say no more!

Page: 1 | 2