Profile for Upgader > Reviews

Content by Upgader

Upgader (Malvern, England)

The Knight Who Saved England: William Marshal and the French Invasion, 1217 (General Military)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit clunky but a remarkable (true) story enthusiastically written, 2 Jun 2014
This period of the Middle Ages was not one I had read about before and is fascinating. I never realised before how close England came to being a province of the then developing French nation! Nor had I heard of William Marshall before : surely one of the most under reported 'game changers' in our tumultuous history. Mr Brooks is obviously a military historian and there is much detail of medieval military tactics and equipment in this book as well as the key point history of the Angevin monarchy : Henry II, Richard I, John and the early years of Henry III's reign as William Marshall's life spanned all of this eventful period. I mark the book down a little simply because the author in my view assumes too much historical knowledge of the period from the reader as he sweeps back and forth to examine the key events in detail. However I am still pleased to have read the book.

Death of Kings (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 6)
Death of Kings (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series continues, 7 Dec 2012
As a long term Cornwell fan then I was bound to like this series, and its attempt to create the world of Alfred the Great's time is (as always) I think very credible despite the lack of historical support. Uhtred is one of Cornwell's best ever lead characters, with a brilliantly sardonic sense of humour and a superbly pragmatic attitude to life and death.

The Eagle Has Fallen
The Eagle Has Fallen

2.0 out of 5 stars Some history but no writers art, 7 Dec 2012
I have always been fascinated by the stories about the loss of the 9th Legion in Northern Britain ever since reading Rosemary Sutcliffe's classic historical novel when I was a child. This author's attempt to juxtapose an imagined scenario for the legion's fate with the events elsewhere in the empire around the time of the accession of Hadrian promised to be interesting. I gleaned a little more historical knowledge about Hadrian (but not really anymore about the 9th Legion's fate) but unfortunately the author has no skills as a writer, and compared to my favourites Cornwell and Scarrow the politest word I could use is 'plonky'.

Sharp 3:1 inch Sound Bar System with SRS WOW HD
Sharp 3:1 inch Sound Bar System with SRS WOW HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it claims to do but don't expect miracles, 17 Feb 2012
Like most of the reviewers here I was looking for a reasonably priced solution to the atrocious performance of our (visually magnificent) Samsung Plasma flatscreen.We already have a fairly advanced home cinema set up for DVD's but its a bit of a hassle to have to keep changing settings for TV and my wife finds it too complicated. As promised in the other reviews the Sharp has filled this gap effectively, bringing considerably greater clarity to speech in particular (the main problem before). The fact that it comes on automatically after a few seconds and turns off automatically after the TV has been turned off is very convenient. You have to use the little remote to adjust volume but that isn't too difficult. Whilst I don't think it looks bad, we have sited the Sharp unit behind our TV (which is on a cabinet) so it is virtually invisible from the settee. The Sharp offers fair value for what it provides, but don't hope its going to be a Yamaha Sound Bar in disguise with regard to sound subtlety etc. Happy nevertheless at the price.

Panasonic KXTG8024 Colour DECT Quad Digital Cordless Telephone with Answer Machine - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value DECT option, 25 Feb 2009
A stylish set of phones , easy to set up and with much better sound quality than our previous BT wireless phones.A nice touch is that all 4 phones were already tuned into the main base station. The only criticisms of note are firstly that the base stations are very light and flimsy so can overbalance/ fall off tables more easily than they should; secondly that the usage instructions are written by the same obscure techie who seems to write all electronics instruction booklets! Fortunately the main functions are fairly intuitive. Overall this set of Panasonics is a steal at this price!