Profile for C. R. Meats > Reviews

Content by C. R. Meats

C. R. Meats "Kate M" (Oxford UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Katie Morag's Island Stories
Katie Morag's Island Stories
by Mairi Hedderwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and entertaining stories for young children., 18 Sep 2014
I bought this for my grandaughter, having seen the TV series. I love the pictures and so does she. It is so refreshing to have stories that reflect real family life, but told with enormous affection and humour. The setting of the small island is useful. It enables the children to have more freedom than is possible in a large city.

Amazon PowerFast Charger for Accelerated Charging, UK (compatible with all Amazon Devices)

4.0 out of 5 stars It works OK from the computer., 18 Sep 2014
It's useful being able to charge my Kindle from the computer. Otherwise a charger is a charger. I seem to have a world class collection of them.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]

4.0 out of 5 stars So far works well, 18 Sep 2014
I hope this will protect my new Kindle without affecting its performance. So far so good.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars A trim lilttle reader, 18 Sep 2014
Once I'd worked out how to link this to my own Wi-fi everything went smoothly. I like the ability to be able to read independently of the light in the room. The background lighting works well. It took a bit of time to get used to the swiping to change the page, having grown used to keeping my finger on the page changer in my earlier versions, but it works fine. The estimated time to read a chapter feature acts as a challenge!! I'm not sure that is the intention. It does help to know whether I have time to read a whole chapter or not. So far so good. Next time I upgrade I will think about colour versions. I'm also pleased the size is still small enough to carry round with ease.

Death At The President's Lodging (Inspector Appleby Mystery)
Death At The President's Lodging (Inspector Appleby Mystery)
by Michael Innes

4.0 out of 5 stars A literary read, 11 Feb 2014
This is not a book to skim through. I expect anyone who has read Michael Innes before will already know what to expect in terms of scholarship, and this is no exception. The plot is basically simple: who had access to the Prsident's Lodging? The contortions associated with the various wanderings of the characters under suspicion make the solution to the mystery into a tortuous narrative. It all depends on the reader enjoying being taken on diversions and byways and working out who is who as to whether he or she will have the stamina to reach the end. Fashions in the style of detective stories have changed since this was written. Punchy, pithy and rapid this is not, but it is nevertheless an enjoyable read. Not for everyone though. I doubt if I would have read it in my youth.

Tom And Jerry: Classic Collection - Volume 5 [DVD] [2004]
Tom And Jerry: Classic Collection - Volume 5 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Tom and Jerry

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn' buy this for myself!, 11 Jan 2014
I bought this for my grand daughter who adores Tom and Jerry. She loves it. so I have to watch it quite a lot. I have to say the stories and the animations are very clever. I didn't appreciate their subtlety (yes, that's the word I've chosen!) when I was a child, but I do now. So now I'm buying more of them.

To Hull and Back: On Holiday in Unsung Britain
To Hull and Back: On Holiday in Unsung Britain
by Tom Chesshyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about the Holiday suggestion., 11 Jan 2014
If there are places you would never think of visiting, read this book and think again. I have to say I doubt that I wold choose to holiday in any of them, but a day or two might be possible. I know Hull quite well and was impressed by its sympathetic treatment. The people make the place, plus of course, its history and industries which are in many cases fascinating in themselves. It also has some culture, an excellent art gallery, a museum that does a good job of making anyone think twice about whaling and slavery and theatres. The other places are given similar treatmeant and perhaps in the coure of time I might get round to seeing them in real life. I would never have thought about them before.

10 Rules of Writing
10 Rules of Writing

5.0 out of 5 stars Success in a nutshell, 11 Jan 2014
It is a beautiful morning here...oops, Never start with the weather!! I love this boook, although I had heard many of the rules of writing before. And, of course, rules have to be broken some of the time. I love the idea of deleting all the bits that the reader will skip. How can a writer know which bits are likely to be skipped? Ask someone who will promise to be compeltely truthful to read it and say which bits they felt like avoiding.

This brief, but easily digested book should be in front of every writer as a reminder that they are writing for other people to read, well, presumably that is why, plus I suppose they hope to make money as well. If that is the case, take heed of the advice.

The Sweetest Rose: 150 Years of Yorkshire County Cricket Club
The Sweetest Rose: 150 Years of Yorkshire County Cricket Club
by David Hopps

4.0 out of 5 stars For all Yorkshire cricket lovers, 2 Jun 2013
A book of legendary Yorkshire players, and the many disagreements which have dogged Yorkshire cricket over the years. Still, it wouldn't be Yorkshire without the arguments. This is a very readable book, even I suspect, for those who have had the misfortune to be born in other counties. It brought back many memories and evocative names, Trueman, Hutton, Illingworth from my very early days right up to the present time, Root and Bairstow. Even earlier players have their place, after all this is a book celebrating 150 years of Yorkshire cricket! There are plenty of off-the-pitch stories and insights.If you are from Yorkshire or know someone with an interest in any sort of cricket I would recommend this as a good gift (after buying one for yourself first!)

King Arthur's Death (Exeter Mediaeval Texts & Studies)
King Arthur's Death (Exeter Mediaeval Texts & Studies)
by Larry D. Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars Medieval works of King arthur and his Knights, 1 May 2013
The two works in this book are complementary accounts of the death of King Arthur. They are written in Middle English and as such are not an easy read for anyone who is unfamiliar with the English languge of the time. The first piece is wrttien in a poetic form. It is called the 'Stanzaic King Arthur'. The narrative follows the romantic course of King Arthur's life and includes the well- known story of his death preceded by throwing of the sword Excalibur into the water by Sir Bedevere and the body being taken away in a ship....
The second section, the 'Alliterative King Arthur' reads like an earlier piece, depending as it does on a heavily allierative verse form. This can result in the use of some verbal oddities to fit the pattern, but nevertheless this does not distract from the fascination of the piece. This is not a tale of the traditional King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table. In this he is portrayed as a warrior king ready to defend his enormous territory from the Romans. It is full of interesting details which must be illustrative of life at the time. The rules for the issuing of a safe conduct for the travel across England from Carlisle to Sandwich for the Roamn emissaries read like a modern order. They have to travel along Watling Street and not leave it even at night and have seven days to complete the journey. There are vivid battle scenes and romance is far from anyone's mind.This version of King Arthur's story ends in Glastonbury.
The notes and glossary for both sections are as good as are normally found in such texts and in places are better. It is difficult for editors to judge how to pitch their notes so that they are useful but at the same time don't leave out important interpretations or leave the reader foaming at the mouth in frustration. I never felt like that, so many thanks for the assistance offered.
To anyone with aninterest in King Arthur or in Medieval history I would heartliy recommend both these versions of King Arthur's life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3