Profile for RJW > Reviews

Content by RJW

RJW (Derbyshire United Kingdom)

No Line On The Horizon
No Line On The Horizon
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 6.22

2.0 out of 5 stars DILLUSIONAL, 21 May 2009
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
I like U2 - seen them live 3 times - own most of their albums, but dear-oh-dear, can someone explain to me why this album is getting lots of 4 and 5 star reviews !
This album sound like a load of cast-offs / B-sides from the last 10 years ! I bought it, played it 3 times in the car, and put it away I doubt that it will be making a re-appearance.
Apart from maybe 3 tracks, the rest wouln't make it onto a Top 50 of U2 songs - just listless, melody-lite meanderings of a band that is now totally resting on its laurels. A Great live band for sure - but they are not great song-writers - whatever the sales figures might imply !

I Never Thought This Day Would Come
I Never Thought This Day Would Come

4.0 out of 5 stars Now That's what I call music ...., 25 Nov 2008
I bought Songs From The Deep Forest on the basis of a 4-star review in Q. Leafing through the various music magazines this past few weeks, I have yet to read a single review of his new album. Needless to say there are plenty of reviews of the new Girls Aloud album etc etc, but you'd think there would be room to review an album as outstanding as this. This is another 4-star album. The first time I heard it I thought it was way inferior to Deep Forest. Now after 5 listens, it stands comparison easily. Brilliant melodies, funny lyrics, great playing. Duke Special is hugely talented - but I get the impression that he will never be anything more than a cult artist. Shame, the guy is better than 99% of the stuff in the charts.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2008 3:59 PM GMT

Way To Normal
Way To Normal
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen, 2 Oct 2008
This review is from: Way To Normal (Audio CD)
Ben Folds is virtually a nobody in the UK, yet he is supremely talented and writes lyrics that few others would even attempt. Yes, there is a lot of swearing on this album, and some of it seems gratuitous, but the tunes and the musicianship are excellent. Hiroshima, You Dont Know Me, Cologne, Kylie and Effington are as good as anything he has ever done IMO.
As a whole the album is not as good as Songs For Silverman, but for less than a Tenner this is great fun - but don't play it when the children are around !
BTW, he produced 5 great songs for the Over The Hedge childrens' film soundtrack - that's worth getting too.

Tower Of Love
Tower Of Love
Price: 10.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !, 19 May 2008
This review is from: Tower Of Love (Audio CD)
I wonder if there is another album on Amazon where every single review is a 5-star review ? That tells you all you need to know about this masterpiece of accoustic, dreamy songs that Wilson or McCartney would be happy to put their name to. Just buy it.

Jim Noir
Jim Noir
Offered by sdiscs
Price: 25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A good album - deserves to be heard, 1 May 2008
This review is from: Jim Noir (Audio CD)
I bought this on the basis of a 4-star review in Q magazine. I'd give it 3.5, as some of the tracks (maybe 5 out of 13 are average, or just too way-out for their own good), but the remaining tracks are just superb - after 3 or 4 plays you can't get them out of your head. The best track is A Different Shelf, with a 'synth riff' that will be going around your head just as you fall asleep, and still be there when you wake up !
His previous album (Tower of Love) is better (a 5 star album for sure) and several of the songs have been used in TV adverts. This alsbum also contains several tracks that could have the same fate. Both albums remind me of Badly Drawn Boy, with undertones of Beach Boys. Well worth buying.

Secret World - Live Paris 2005 (CD & DVD)
Secret World - Live Paris 2005 (CD & DVD)
Price: 6.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 15 Nov 2007
I received this the other day but feel a little disappointed. The DVD aspect is obviously a concert the guys did in 2005. It's incomplete, I would say - only 8 or so songs, and the sound quality is just poor. Playing it through my TV the vocals are hard to pick out - don;t know whether this was the way the show was recorded or whether its my DVD player, but I reckon its the former. The CD I played in the car, and it is the same concert but with more songs and a better sound quality. Its also finished off with 3 or 4 great TFF songs from the studio. A great band - but this whole package left me feeling that it is 'half-cocked'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2010 8:07 AM BST

Ace A's + Killer B's
Ace A's + Killer B's
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars not at all dodgy - a risk free-purchase, 26 Dec 2006
This review is from: Ace A's + Killer B's (Audio CD)
"Oasis sound like the Beatles" - no they don't - BUT DODGY DO !!!!!!

Buy this album (probably available now for a fiver) and you will wonder why they were not one of the biggest bands of the 1990s. For some reason they weren't and are now largely forgotten apart from ~Good Enough - their biggest hit. This album contains a dozen fantastic songs as good as anything produced by the bigger Britpop bands - melodic but with real edge. Buy this if you like the Beatles and the Who - you won't be disappointed!

Venus And Mars
Venus And Mars
Offered by games
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go !, 27 Nov 2006
This review is from: Venus And Mars (Audio CD)
In my view this is one of Paul's top 5 post-Beatles albums ( and he has released over 20). It shows his versatility to the full - rock, pop, ballads, it's all here. It has dated a little, but so what. The overall feel of the album is one of FUN. You get the impression that Paul and the band were probably on drugs when writing and recording this, but there is so much to be admired here, that it doens't bother me. The lyrics are a little non-sensical, but there is no denying the musicianship, the melody and the attitude. it is a memorable album, which is consistent throughout. the opening 3 tracks need to be played together, and then you know you are going to enjoy yourself.

Bose  3.2.1  Home Entertainment System
Bose 3.2.1 Home Entertainment System

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose 321 GS - shame about the features !, 8 Dec 2005
I bought a BOSE 321 GS 2 months ago, having been blown away by the demo in the shop. Sadly in some ways it has fallen short of expectations. Can you believe that a £1,000 audio system does NOT permit headphones and does NOT allow the user to programme the order of tracks if playing a CD !!!!!! Since making this discovery, I have continued to feel slightly let-down by BOSE. It is like spending £25,000 on a car only to find that it does not have electric windows and there is no air-conditioning ! I can find no excuse whatsoever for these omissions. As to the good points, the sound quality is far better than anything else i have ever heard - which is really what we buy such systems for. As other reviews state, you find yourself hearing things that you never heard before, and so this makes you want to play your entire CD selection. It sort of makes you fall in love with your favourite bands all over again - which is a good thing. Now another thing - so far I have not used it as a DVD player set up through my TV. Strangely it is not possible to alter the bass or treble unless it is set up as a DVD player through the TV. This is agin rather strange for such an expensive system. Overall I feel that I should have spent more time considering other manufacturers such as Denon. I might still have settled on the BOSE for its simplicity and inconspicuousness, but there are several flaws with this particualr system to be aware of.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2010 10:33 PM GMT