Profile for E. Mathiasen > Reviews

Band of Gypsys
Band of Gypsys
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Hendrix Magnus Opus, 24 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Band of Gypsys (Audio CD)
Band of Gypsys is an album that must belong in every serious music collection. I think that it is the greatest rock album ever, live or studio included. There are many components that add to the overall success of the album, but what sticks out the most is just the raw, natural sound of music created by this amazing trio! Buddy Miles on drums and vocals is really on fire here: He's inventive, passionate and just all around in the music. His drive is incredible and his vocal solo on Who Knows is just classic, probably the best vocal solo I've heard outside of jazz. Billy Cox has a natural sound and time that really fits the overall expression of the group very well.

But let's not forget about the true star here: Hendrix. He is amazing here; his soloing and storytelling transcends anything I've heard and his sound is amazing. Considering the era in which this album was released his sound is unbelievable, almost superhuman. The bass and drum serve as his canvas and he's painting effortlessly and freely while still keeping his interaction with Cox and Miles intact. It really is incredible how wide the sound is, considering it is just a trio.

I think Machine Gun is the best take on the album and the greatest piece of rock ever recorded. The way Hendrix sets the mood and tells the story is really second to none. Machine Gun is a trip in itself, just raw expression from Hendrix. But don't worry, the music on this album isn't all abstract. Who Knows will satisfy anyone with a thirst for rhytm and Power of Love is just a great, intense rock song(listen to Miles' shout at the break after the intro. Woo!). We Live Together also features one of the best riffs ever.

When I listen to Band of Gypsys, I often sit and wonder what would've come if Hendrix hadn't died and I shudder, because, frankly, I think this album is out of this world. In my book it ranks as some of the most incredible, beautiful and touching music ever recorded. Put it on and you will realize that Hendrix lives.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 11:24 PM BST

The Bridge
The Bridge

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Sonny Rollins album, 29 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Bridge (Audio CD)
The playing of Sonny Rollins needs no introduction, so I will concentrate on what I feel this album offers compared to the work he did before his 2 year break from music.

First of all, Rollins never seems to be "out of shape" on anything I've heard, and this album contains some of his best playing. I think his playing on this album and through most of the 60's is the best I've heard from him. He is thoughtful and sensitive on ballads like "Where are you?" and "God bless the child" and he explores new ideas on songs like "John S." and the titletrack, while still maintaining his remarkable and recognizable drive, humor, imagination and playfulness.

Jim Hall is an incredible musician and he and Rollins are definitely a match made in heaven. Jim Hall's incredible sense of rhytm and harmony coupled with his imaginative and tasteful solo's is the perfect companion to Rollins' style and his comping gives the exact amount of freedom and foundation Rollins needs, in my opinion. His balance between support and being "out of the way" is unique. The sound of the band also blends perfect together.

My favorite take is "Without a Song", without a doubt. The arrangement is tasteful, it swings hard and both Sonny and Jim Hall play incredible solo's. The song is vibrant, full of life and expells joy throughout the speakers and, in my mind, that's what Sonny Rollins is about.

To me, this is his best album.