Profile for Giorgos > Reviews

Fuji Compact Flash USB Card Reader
Offered by Promediasupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars does exacttly what it says, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Fuji Compact Flash USB Card Reader
two months using it now and works fine. Not much else to say. It does the job as expected to do.

6 x Woodland Animal Face Masks - Owl, Mouse, Hedgehog, Rabbit, Badger and Fox
6 x Woodland Animal Face Masks - Owl, Mouse, Hedgehog, Rabbit, Badger and Fox
Offered by Price Drop UK

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but only for children heads, 16 Jun. 2013
I bought them for a theme photo shoot but unfortunately the are too small for adult heads. Otherwise they are as expected. They also shipped rather fast.

Arkham Horror Board Game: A Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror Board Game: A Call of Cthulhu

2.0 out of 5 stars Feels like a lost chance for something great..., 12 Mar. 2012
After 4 hours of whirling and swirling in a tempest of rules, I look back on the abandoned table as my friends walk away from the tyranny of "Arkham Horror" saying "never again". The table is littered with an impressive board and LOTS of really good looking cards, props and cons. It looks really impressive indeed. It looks like it could have been a great board game...Too bad it isn't...

Coming from a geeky roleplayer background and after spending my adolescence and a good part of my adult life reading Lovecraftian literature and playing Chaosiums "Call of Cthulhu", I thought that I had what's needed to enjoy "Arkham Horror" . I bought this game hoping that it would be an enjoyable tabletop alternative to the RPG sessions that I no longer have time to play. Unfortunately Arkahm horror is not a role playing game but is neither a tabletop game. In fact it's a contraption from hell that is made from the worst characteristics of both.

Maybe it has to do with my personal perception of what is an enjoyable tabletop. That is: Rules that can be understood by anyone in 5 minutes but gameplay that offers endless possibility for development, complexity and stategy. Elegance in simplicity. Add a nice storyline and some attractive board and you got the ideal tabletop.
Arkham horror is the exact opposite. Rules rules rules and no apparent purpose, meaningful decision making, or fun.

I don't want to be unfair. Maybe-just maybe- if you learn all the rules by heart, the game could flow better. unfortunately neither I nor any of my friends are willing to do spend any more time on it. And I suspect most people out there won't...

After three 4-hour attempts to play the game with different people and no session actually reaching the end due to frustration, I know this game is not going to work for us. More importantly, there are no more friends (=victims) to playtest it with. I had worn them all out trying it.

I will either sell it or re-write the rules from scratch in order to use all these fantastic props.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 8:19 PM GMT

The Snow Leopard
The Snow Leopard
by Peter Matthiessen

2.0 out of 5 stars A matter of expectations I guess..., 22 April 2010
This review is from: The Snow Leopard (Paperback)
Unfortunately this book is not a scientific account about the wonderful Himalayan Cat, it is more of a philosophical/ religious essay which uses the fleeting essence of the snow leopard as a symbol and a means of communicating the authors mystic thesis.
Unfortunately for me it didn't work out probably because I was hoping for a scientificaly based documentary with actual information about the snow leopard. The book also failed in recording any sort of substantial anthropologic data about this massively interesting part of the world. Unfortunately the authors observations about local population are both superficial and naÔve.

I cannot comment of the spiritual/ mysticism/ religion aspect of the book as I am familiar with these fields but I have to recognize that most of the book's triumphant acclaim originates from people that find interest in such pursuits. For such an approach there are plenty other reviews on this site and my point won't add anything substantial.

What I personally enjoyed about the book was the authors ability to convey successfully the psychological and physical struggle related with walking in this part of the world in a way that anybody who has found himself walking in these places is impossible not to relate with.
"ok" but not enough unless mysticism and religion is your kind of thing.
Not a scientific book
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 5:41 PM BST

Hellboy Volume 6: Strange Places: Strange Places v. 6 (Hellboy (Dark Horse Paperback))
by Mike Mignola

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't mess with me lady-I `ve been drinking with skeletons!, 17 Feb. 2010
I owned Hellboy a review since volume1...after reading Strange Places it is no longer possible to postpone it...
The following are the reasons why Hellboy holds such a high place on my "all time favorite" comics list:

Artwork: simply amazing. Mignola's pen manipulates light and forms in such an unnatural yet expressive way. Hellboys artwork is a gateway to the fairy kingdom and is 100% responsible for the magnificently airy atmosphere of the comic. Reminds me the work of Hugo Pratt if that's not sacrilege...

Main Character: Hellboy is consistently antiheroic and totally not didactic. I love how pompous villain speeches are crushed on his casual cynicism. The epitome of cool without the lifestyle junk

Story line: Simple but powerful well researched and full of folklore from all over the world. And it does not take itself too seriously.

Not much else to say - One my favorite comic book to this day...

World Climbing: Images from the Edge
World Climbing: Images from the Edge
by Simon Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of climbing photographs., 16 Mar. 2009
If you are a rock climber, Simon Carter's work will almost certainly impress you. Most of the photographs are shots of amazing climbs, beautiful locations and rock climbers performing at the highest level.
Even if you are not into climbing this is a great book about nature, travel and a very unique lifestyle. Carter's Photography is not artistic nor sophisticated but yet is far from casual by being technically sound, approached with extreme effort and conveying powerful emotion. This is a work of love for the "cult of the rock"

Grave of the Fireflies [DVD]
Grave of the Fireflies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isao Takahata

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap sentimental nonsense, 9 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Grave of the Fireflies [DVD] (DVD)
After having read rave reviews and also following some personal recommendations from friends I was really excited when I bought this DVD.
Regret to say that I was massively disappointed. I completely failed to see what the fuss was all about. Childish story, making no sense whatsoever. Making no sense not in a beautiful surreal way as seen in many anime but in a cheap "um, we can't think of anything better" sense. It seemed like the authors were only interested in creating super cute heroes and then plague them into the "hardships of war" in order to produce cheap sentimental situations. They wanted to create a touching story at all costs but they were really struggling with ideas. Which is entirely stupid taking into account that we are talking about mid war Japan, a place thriving with human drama!
If you expect any of the director genius of "Akira", the philosophical background of "Ghost in the Shell" or even the lyrical magic of "Spirited away" prepare for a cruel disappointment on this so called "one of the best anime of all times"
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2010 6:13 PM GMT