Profile for J. Ford > Reviews

Content by J. Ford

J. Ford "skunkfish83" (Liverpool, UK)

Pmadvice: Training & Coaching It Programme & Project Managers: Training and Coaching IT Programme and Project Managers
by Ian Tomkins
Price: 13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for aspiring project managers, 5 Jun 2014
On my journey as a project manager I've found myself referring back to this book on many occasions.

Whilst principles such as PRINCE2 give you a good idea of the tools and framework required, this book gives you actual advice on dealing with situations you may face as a project manager.

Support materials are good too. Recommended.

A Year and a Day
A Year and a Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Three words - absolutely brilliant, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Year and a Day (Kindle Edition)
Bought this on a whim after reading a pair of Mr. Barker's Medium shorts on line.

Although I'm not all the way through (yet), I felt compelled to write a review to convey just how much I'm enjoying this so far.

The more you read, the funnier it gets and I've found myself flicking back to re-read earlier chapters in a new light.

Very highly recommended, the style of humour really struck my chord.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney  (3DS)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
Offered by Re-Play (Video Games & Movies) Ltd
Price: 35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great crossover for fans of both series, 28 April 2014
Being a fan of both series I'd been looking forward to this for years, but with a slight reservation of how to two styles of game would come together.

The balance of Layton-esque puzzle sections and Ace Attorney courtroom battles is fairly even. The difficulty of puzzles seems to be lower than a regular Layton game and disappointingly doesn't seem to ramp up too much towards the end. This time hint coins can be used in both puzzles and in the courtroom to give guidance on what to press/present. I actually found myself using them much more in the courtroom over puzzles which surprised me a little.

As seems almost standard with each Ace Attorney game, new courtroom mechanics are introduced; in this case it is multiple witnesses appearing on the stand at once. In some instances, each witness will give their version of events and they may have quite differing recollections of events. At other times, another witness on the stand might have something to say about the witness's testimony and you can question them on this.

On occasions this can lead to some repetition and going through the same testimony several times (e.g. once where you question the witness, a second time when you don't), but it's only a minor annoyance.

Some reviews have said that the two parts of the game are kept quite separate, but there is quite a bit of crossover here. Layton appears in the courtroom and Phoenix does his best at puzzle solving.

A game like this is only really as strong as it's story and characters, and despite a few leaps of faith being required (particularly towards the end) it remains gripping throughout. Some new characters are more agreeable than others, but perhaps not up there with the best from the Ace Attorney series.

The animated sequences are beautiful and although some characters voices can grate a little, they're generally well done. The soundtrack is immense, with some new takes on themes from both series and I think are a particular highlight of the game.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this game if you're a fan of both series, or if you've played one and are willing to give the other a try.

It may be regarded as a spin-off for both series but I think it's an essential part of both.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 9:28 AM BST

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
Price: 37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, addictive, perfect for a handheld., 21 May 2013
It all started off so well. Having whizzed through the tutorial levels and the first couple of chapters I was feeling rather confident and smug... 'I' was obviously a rather good Fire Emblem player. Enemies cowered before me and the ladies worshipped me (in my hazy memory at least).

Then things began to take a turn for the worse. I'd chosen 'classic' mode as I'd been advised that this is the way the game should be played. The game introduces new characters as the chapters go on and soon I was pleased as punch to find myself with a flying horse to play with.

Impressed with the range that the character could travel I quickly moved in on the enemy's archer for a quick kill. This didn't quite go to plan, and on the enemy's turn (it's a turn-based strategy style game by the way) I soon found my lovely flying horse to be no more....

The thing about the 'classic' mode is that once a character dies they're gone forever. Which is important as there are limited amounts of new characters introduced and each of your characters build up a relationship with each other, even eventually getting married if they're that way inclined. The stronger the relationship between the characters, the more they will help each other out in battle. Everyone's expendable, however if you lose your central characters (yourself or Chrom from memory) then it's 'Game Over' time.

I quickly learned the hard way that the characters shouldn't be treated as disposable fighting machines, and that keeping them all alive until the end of the battle is really the aim of the game. Switching to 'Casual' mode switches this off and your characters will be back, happy as Larry after the battle, but really this takes away an important strategic element of the game; that of careful tactical planning and constraint.

So I carried on, an important lesson learned and began to progress further into the game. I have to confess (before I do I'll just say that I'm not normally a fan of such weak tactics as this, well apart from maybe in Football Manager) that being able to reload your game and replay a poorly fought battle is a useful aid for the novice. I don't like to think of this as cheating, more as a second-chance for a naive player such as myself. As time has gone on I've learned more about the types of tactics required, it's something I've started to do less and less. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, who wouldn't want to turn back time and prevent someone they know from being killed?

There is a fair amount of depth to this game, not all of it is immediately obvious. Items and weapons are both collectable and purchasable as you go through the game which is pretty straight-forward, as is forging weapons which increases certain stats of weapons you own.

An important part of the game however is 'levelling up', everyone's favourite RPG pastime. It's easy to go into every battle gung-ho with your strongest characters but this will prevent your weaker characters from gaining the experience to 'level-up' and become stronger and this will almost certainly come back to bite you in the bum later on in the game. Instead, careful tactics should be used to ensure that whilst you win the battle and don't lose characters you also allow some of your weaker characters to get in on the action and get some experience. I've been pairing-up weaker characters with stronger ones which seems to be working quite well so far.

Overall I'm having a fantastic time with this game. The first few chapters ease you in, but the game soon becomes quite punishing and I think this is all for the better. Visually is a mixed bag of treats, the main game plays out over an old-school 2D map, the battles and some cut scenes take place in an impressive (for the 3DS) 3D engine, and there's some nice anime bits thrown in for good measure. I'm not too far into the game so far but I can tell that it's going to be quite a long journey and some extra DLC is available for those seeking more. If you're on the fence I recommend trying the demo in the eShop, I'm sure it's not to everyone's taste but it's definitely worth having a go whether you think this is your type of game or not. You may be surprised at how much fun you have!

10 x G4 20w Clear Halogen Capsule Bulbs 12v
10 x G4 20w Clear Halogen Capsule Bulbs 12v
Offered by Leonlighting
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars They work!, 11 April 2013
Good value product that arrived quickly.

Have used several so far to replace kitchen spotlights and they seem a perfect replacement for the previous ones.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by clickforgamesltd
Price: 15.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolly good 3DS game., 6 Mar 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been enjoying this for the last month or so and still have a bit to go.

Not 100% convinced about the graphical style (or the story particularly) but the puzzles are top notch and you'll love this if you enjoyed the previous games in the series. Also, I was amused to hear Luke in a toothpaste commercial this week (apparently the character is voiced by a lady).

Note: If it doesn't play properly on your console it's probably because you're trying to insert it into the toaster.

Crush 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Crush 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by megamoviestore
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating but fun, 27 Jun 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Like a lot of great puzzle games Crush3D is both fun and frustrating in equal measures.

Perhaps it's my steadfast refusal to use the in-game hints but I've had to slam my 3DS shut and cool off for a few minutes on more than one occasion.

I'm sticking with it though as it is a good game, and at the price it's currently going for is an absolute bargain.

Hanging Wardrobe Dehumidifier By 151 - Helps Stop Damp
Hanging Wardrobe Dehumidifier By 151 - Helps Stop Damp
Offered by Inspire Plus+
Price: 1.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 29 May 2012
We had an issue with a white mould/mildew forming on some clothes hanging in the wardrobe (Eww, I know!). A quick search on Google told me that the problem was almost certainly due to high humidity.

I somewhat sceptically ordered one of these hanging dehumidifiers, unsure if it would make any difference. So far, I have to say I'm impressed. After a week or so hanging it had collected a significant amount of water, and after a month or so was completely full. We're now on our third, and despite only lasting around a month each the low price makes them worthwhile - and no white mould so far!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 3:20 AM GMT

SanDisk SDSDB-032G-FFP 32 GB Secure Digital SD Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Label May Change)
Price: 13.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with 3DS, 29 May 2012
After filling my Nintendo 3DS full of demos and games from the eShop I decided it was time to invest in a larger SD card.

After a bit of research I found that the 3DS supports up 32GB SDHC cards and doesn't really benefit from the faster more expensive cards, therefore this 32GB Sandisk SDHC card seemed to meet my needs perfectly.

So far it's been perfect, and I can't see myself running short on space anytime soon. Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 7:18 PM BST

The Eraser
The Eraser
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 23 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
I'd been told not to buy this album by a friend, who said ultimately I'd find myself disappointed.

I don't normally write any product reviews on Amazon but I simply had to for this album, even if I can only convince one undecided shopper to buy this album I can hopefully rest in peace knowing that I've changed somebodys persons world.

The first time I popped the disc in my cd player I gave the album a quick listen through thinking to myself "Hey, this is actually pretty good"

Several months on this album is so much more than that. I have all the Radiohead albums in my CD collection, my favourites being The Bends, Hail to the thief and OK Computer. However, this album really does eclipse them all.

So full of touching, beautiful moments you simply shouldn't miss out on this unbelievable work of art. I stick it on before I go to bed each night and in my dreams get transported to another world, somewhere far away from this universe into the realms of impossibility and beyond.

Try it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2009 11:39 PM BST