Profile for The Reviewer > Reviews

Content by The Reviewer

The Reviewer (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by bid2win-ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars The work of a hero is never done, 20 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
You would think that after saving the universe from the evil Covenant & monstrous Flood, Master Chief deserved a holiday. Unfortunately, when his AI pal Cortana wakes up him up from an extended power-nap it's not for a long-overdue office party with his UNSC buddies - but rather to warn him that some rather angry Covenant have boarded his ship and are looking for trouble. Poor Chief just can't get a break...and so begins an epic adventure that will see ol' 117 not only battle new enemies with new agendas on new worlds - but also have some rather personal battles to fight. Some with his employers but another involving his long-time travelling companion Cortana - who is not at all well. Over the course of the game Chief will be tested in combat and forced to wrestle with just what it means to 'be' (deep indeed).

So then, I'd have to say that overall the plot works - although it did take two playthroughs for me to both absorb and appreciate it fully. As for the look of the game - without a shadow of a doubt it is impressive. From ethereal open vistas to dim and dense jungle to Tron-inspired interiors; you never feel bored looking around. Plus the Chief has had an aesthetic upgrade that just makes him look even cooler. Voice acting is top notch with some subtle (and not so subtle) nuances in the way the dialog is spoken that only heightens the emotion of the moment. The score is also suitably atmospheric and enhances each section of the game.

As for the enemies, well the gang are back in the form of the Covenant and they're exactly as you'd expect. Elites bark commands and Grunts flee at the first sign of trouble. But this time round we're introduced to the Prometheans as well - bad guys who aren't interested in talking or anything else other than wiping you out. They're tough and have several interesting tricks that they will use to take Chief down hard. They're an interesting bunch that will challenge/frustrate you on harder difficulty levels but their lack of squabbling, shouting and general fear makes them a little less fun to fight than the Covenant.

Overall, the game plays like any Halo before it; with the thankful inclusion of a sprint ability as standard - not to mention enhanced abilities, assassination moves and all the usual vehicles we've come to love - including the new addition of a mech (which is ground-pounding fun). Ultimately Halo 4 marks a welcome return for Master Chief and does exactly what it should do by the end - makes you wonder what is going to happen next. Fun stuff.

Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary (Xbox 360)
Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gamesbuyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Master Chief celebrates his anniversary...but is it really worth attending?, 9 Dec 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I'll be honest. If you played and enjoyed the original HALO then you're probably gonna love this game. It is an excellent tribute to the source material. However, if you are like me and didn't join the fight until they were finishing it in HALO 3 (and then continued fighting in ODST and REACH) you may find the Chief's first outing somewhat...dull.

In terms of plot I found the game quite 'content light' - much preferring the depth and emotion in the narratives of HALO 3, ODST and REACH. But the main problem for me was the gameplay. Yes it did define a generation of First-Person-Shooters but HALO itself has come a long way since its first battle with the Covenant.

In ANNIVERSARY I miss the ability for the Chief to pick up an energy sword, use the boost on a Ghost or perform an assassination on a fleeing enemy to name a few things. Another issue which should be mentioned is the 'quietness'. Whilst in other HALO games you were part of a group of some kind, in this game you are flying solo 95% of the time (with the Chief saying next to nothing) and roaming along corridors that are identical (and which repeat endlessly).

Ultimately, whilst I do appreciate what this game represents; I feel that too literal a remake has been made and ANNIVERSARY would have been more fun to play had some more recent gameplay elements been added.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2011 10:56 PM GMT

Goldeneye 007: Reloaded (Xbox 360)
Goldeneye 007: Reloaded (Xbox 360)

2.0 out of 5 stars Double 0 Disappointment, 13 Nov 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased Goldeneye Reloaded because I enjoyed both the movie and the video game that was released back on the Nintendo 64. I knew however, that this game was an HD makeover of the version released on the Nintendo Wii; which had an updated, more relevant storyline - but that was fine by be. Unfortunately this failed to fend off my boredom.

If Reloaded had branded itself a straight-forward first-person shooter which involved no thought then that would have been fine - it would have been an average game. However, it introduced an element of stealth - which naturally made me want to avoid conflict and strike from the shadows if necessary. Unfortunately this didn't happen. Firstly, the game does not allow you to lean up against a wall in third-person and peer round a corner for recon purposes or to take a sneaky shot. The only way to look round a corner is to actually step out into the open - not conducive to stealth. Secondly, the stealth mechanic is shaky at best. Yes there are one or two pre-planned sections where you can pass guards relatively quietly but for the most part, the slightest (and I have to emphasise 'slightest' here) wrong move and the whole enemy base is up in arms and tracking you down. Infuriating.

Finally, a quick word on the 4-player split-screen mode (which I remembered being so much fun on the N64) - well, it wasn't to put it bluntly. We did try several modes but after about 45minutes we just turned it off - having become chronically bored.

Ultimately, I never even bothered completing this game as I found the stealth poor, the gameplay lacklustre and the multiplayer a let-down. I'm sorry Bond...but this Goldeneye case should be closed and avoided.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Limited Edition
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Limited Edition
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your daddy's Ace Combat..., 18 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Ace Combat Assualt Horizon is the latest release in the Ace Combat series - and having played (and enjoyed) all of the previous console outings I was greatly looking forward to this game.

Initially, I was blown away by the dramatic, Hollywood level of gameplay and showmanship on offer in Level 1. Buildings and planes were exploding all over the place and (most importantly) right in front of my FACE! The close-range attack system will undoubtedly take your breath away the first time you initiate it. I had never seen an Ace Combat game like it. It was the future.

Then I continued playing and found that I was spending more time chasing my enemy than I was killing them; not to mention the close-range attack system is the games preferred method of engagement and so the days of firing a missle from a distance and vanquishing an enemy in that fashion are almost a memory. And thus I felt a bit deflated...what had happened to my awesome Ace Combat series?

But then I got over the halfway mark and began flying some cool planes like the F22 Raptor and well...everything just made sense. I was now able to chase planes with ease and this seriously improved my enjoyment. To be frank, I would advise you to stick with the game for a while; yes you may love the first level but then slowly find things getting more frustrating than enjoyable, but stay with it and I would like to think you will understand just how fun the game can be with the higher quality planes.

Of course, I've only scraped the surface here - AH contains helicopter missions, gunner-seat missions, bombing missions - all of which ended up providing a welcome change to just piloting jets (and again, some mission types like the helicopter may take some getting used to but stick with it and you will hopefully get into it).

As for the story, its not bad - but due to its limitations of a 'real-world' scenario I found I missed the giant superplanes and superweapons from previous incarnations. The graphics are fine and the music (whilst not my favourite of the series) is synchronised very well with the action set pieces.

In a nutshell: I am an Ace Combat fan and I admit to ultimately being somewhat disappointed with AH - I guess I just prefer the slower pace of gameplay and the fictional, over-the-top, romantic-view-of-aerial-warfare storylines of the older games. But that said, AH is not a bad game. Newcomers will probably love it and I do enjoy it. Its one of those games that I would go back to when I feel the need for a quick blast of action. In a way I would place it alongside a racing game such as Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - a quick race around the track in an awesome car against a fleet of cops is exhilerating but eventually I want to play something with a bit more substance. With AH I will blast around the sky to awesomely orchestrated action and music that will hit me at MACH 1000!!! but then I would rather relax with the more classic games in the franchise.

Assualt Horizon is worth a look - just don't expect a gentle simulation. Its an all-out blockbuster that doesn't stop for breath.

Nail'd (Xbox 360)
Nail'd (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars A short, sharp burst of fun-packed adrenaline...but these motors aren't built for the long haul, 20 Feb 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nail'd (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'll start by saying that Nail'd is much more a weekend rental title than it is a game that will keep you entertained for a long time. The reason is simply depth - or a lack of it. From the moment the game begins you're taught how to accelerate, brake (you'll never need it) and oh yeah...boost your face off in gravity defying, insane jumps on tracks that will make your head spin! And that's it - but equally that's where the fun is. Graphically, the game looks good and it's simple and fun to play - but after a while (when the initial adrenaline rush leaves your system) you may find yourself wanting more; like a story or the ability to pull off tricks in the air etc. But you get none of that. Ultimately, Nail'd offers you several hours of awesomely fun entertainment driving around reality-defying tracks, but when you finally run out of fuel you may find yourself not all that bothered about refilling the tank.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2011 9:56 AM GMT

Due South - Series 3 [DVD]
Due South - Series 3 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you kindly Due South. Thank you kindly., 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Due South - Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
And so begins the final season of this fantastic show - and it doesn't disappoint! From new characters to familiar faces, this season is once again a mixture of humour and emotion - and has a finale that acts as a worthy end to this series and its characters. Overall, Due South has kept me entertained for 3 entire seasons - and I can't recommend it enough. Thank you kindly.

Ninja's Creed [DVD]
Ninja's Creed [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gail Kim
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this film minus 5 stars I would, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Ninja's Creed [DVD] (DVD)
Oh dear. I don't even know where to begin. One thing I do know though is that this is one of the worst films that I've ever, ever seen. Ever. The plot, whilst beginning in a fairly standard manner, soon becomes bizarre and then just plain weird - eventually leading to a final 20 minute sequence which is beyond boring. Add to the mix sheer atrocious sound quality and a budget that makes a television movie look good and you'll find yourself wishing that there was a way to reclaim those 86 minutes that this film stole from you. This is one to avoid.

Tron: Evolution (Xbox 360)
Tron: Evolution (Xbox 360)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment - For XMAS delivery please contact before buying! Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the Grid, Program, 11 Feb 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Tron: Evolution is designed to bridge the gap between the original movie 'Tron' and the sequel 'Tron: Legacy' - and for a 'movie-themed video game' it does a great job. The story is well thought out and is told in a way that makes you see just how life 'in the Grid' changes to what it ultimately becomes at the beginning of Tron: Legacy. Graphically, the levels of Tron: Evolution can feel quite bland, but in its favour, never look bad. From an audio standpoint, the music from Daft Punk is a nice (but brief) addition to the game, whereas the rest of the in-game music is again, much like the levels, a tad bland. Yet the voice acting is great and the sound effects are fine.

So how does it play? Well the game is primarily a free-running adventure, and if you've ever played the game 'Mirrors Edge' then you'll know exactly what I mean when I say that, until you know your route, your character will keep dying and restarting again and again. However, once you know a level you'll find yourself nipping through it. Plus the checkpoints are often and many.
Ultimately, Tron: Evolution is a game that begins as equal parts fun and frustration, but the scales tip in favour of the fun element once when you get used to it and thus I'd recommend it to both fans of Tron or fans of free-running games.

Due South - Series 2 [DVD]
Due South - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Gross

5.0 out of 5 stars Saddle up your travelling shoes and get ready to head Due South, 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Due South - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Due South series 2 continues the adventures of Constable Benton Frazer in Chicago - and succeeds once again in delivering plenty of humour and entertainment. It also contains, what I believe to be, the best episode of the entire show's run. Well worth a purchase.

Due South - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Due South - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Gross

5.0 out of 5 stars There are 4 directions on the map but I'm only heading one way..., 11 Feb 2011
I think the most important thing to say about Due South if you're someone who has never seen the show before (or only has fuzzy memories of it) is that it is 'surreal'. For example the main character, Constable Benton Frazer can taste the mud from a car tyre and know the direction someone is heading, he can spot a criminal amongst a crowd by sniffing them - oh and he has a deaf wolf that can lip-read. And that's not the half of it! But if you think that you might enjoy this offbeat style rather than loathe it, then you will find Due South to be a wonderful mix of cop show and comedy - that has some hugely funny, laugh-out-loud moments mixed in with some powerful emotional scenes too. Plus the cast are fantastic and work well onscreen together. For me, this series worked and I'd highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6