Profile for C.A > Reviews

Sol Advanced Cooking System
Sol Advanced Cooking System
Offered by Tragmich

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st time used, but very impressed!, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Jetboil Sol (Sports)
Used this today for first time on a cold windy moor.

The flame did blow out once, but easy to relight. Boiled some water to make a porridge in a sachet, which was still warm after leaving it to stand for 3mins.

Last week I used the Trekmates flamless cook flask to make the same brand of porridge, in the same place on the moors. It was warmer that week and not half as windy, yet the porridge was barely warm and not fully hydrated. The Jetboil made a fully edible and still piping hot porridge in no time!

Also I would say that from sitting down to cook food, getting the cook gear set up, boiling the water, eating the food, packing up and been on my way again, took well over half an hour with the flamless flask. I did it in about 15mis with the jet boil.

This is turning in to a bit of a comparison between flamless flask and Jetboil I know, but they are the only two systems I have ever really used.

In short I am very happy with the Jetboil so far. Very easy to use and with good results.

I weighed a 100g gas canister, (100g of gas) the total weight is about 210g. This takes the Jetboil Sol (without the cooking ring) to about 550g. It is a bit on the heavy side, but I think it will prove worth while.

Columbia Men's Passo Alto Full Zip Fleece - Black, Medium
Columbia Men's Passo Alto Full Zip Fleece - Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars but I thought it was great. A Long walk on a windy day [mid ..., 12 Jan. 2015
Ok I've only worn it once upto now, but I thought it was great.

A Long walk on a windy day [mid November] up from Langsett resevour, over the moors, turned back just before Ladybour. Had the wind in my face all the way up, and at my back all the way down. I had my trusty water/windproof jacket in my bag, but never felt the need to put it on.

It wasn't the coldest of days, but still needed thin gloves to keep the wind off my hands, so it shows no wind got through this fleece and I was warm enough with just it and a base lair.

Its lite and thin, packs down very small, [smaller than any other fleece I've ever had, and they were not wind proof].

413 grams [weighed on my kitchen scails; I am sorry if this not entirely accurate.]

At a guess I would say it needs to worn with something else one realy cold days, but just keeping a chill wind off its fine on its own.

Compo's Way (End to End)
Compo's Way (End to End)
by Alan Hiley

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to plan the root and get some info, but..., 21 Jun. 2014
I would say sit down with an OS map before you set off and plan the root on to it.

Always take a compass, but the sketch maps in this book will not be any good to navigate by in bad weather.

All in all its a intraduction to a little known walk, well worth buying. The walk itself is delightful! I've done this walk twice now, both times over 2 days, though the book recommends you take three.

Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map)
Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map)
by Harvey Map Services Ltd
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as OS maps, but good enough for navigating., 21 Jun. 2014
You do lose some detail due to the scaile, but with a compass its good enough. On one day at Nine Standards, (the 2nd highest point on the walk) the fog came down and we could only see about 20 feet. There were no landmarks up there but we managed to navigate through quiet easily with this map. (Make sure you know how to use a compass before beginning this walk!)

100% water proof? Well, on the same day my map case began to leak, yes it wasn't just fog, but rain been blown in all directions. When we got to our B&B the map was soaked through. I laid it out next to the radiator and it soon dryed out. There was some damage to the map but amazingly no loss of print!

I don't know how it would have gone on if it had to sit folded up in a map case in a tent for days on end, but t seems tough enough.

All in all a great map, I think the next best thing to an OS map. My friends had a "footprint" map and the "A to Z coast to coast" map book. The A to Z is OS maps in pages, great for navigating but didn't seem to be very water proof at all. The Footprint map is far too basic, lacking detail, changing scail from page to page, & rotating north.

BCB CN008 Crusader Mess Tin Stainless Steel
BCB CN008 Crusader Mess Tin Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars A good little mess tin but....WEIGHT, not 87g, 9 Aug. 2010
A good little mess tin yes, but as to only been, "Weight: 87g", far from it at about 360g.

It is tuff, and true enough their is no rattle, (untill you put something in it, up to you).

The dimentions on the box when it came gave it as, "size: 175*125*60cm", this then would make it more of a bath than a mess tin, I would give this as "size: 175*125*60mm", near as dam it.

So yes a good tin, but dont like me get fooled on the weight. Also their is no bag for it, so you'll have to find your own.