Profile for Mungle Estronius Thorquip > Reviews

Content by Mungle Estroni...

Mungle Estronius Thorquip "Mungo" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac)
Offered by A-B-C Quality
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I LIKE THE NEW INTERFACE, 28 Mar 2013
I'm running Windows 8 64 bit with 6gb memory.
Unlike the upgrade from 9 to 10, this upgrade from 10 to 11 is worth it because the interface has changed drastically, for the better. Do not worry though because the new interface is very, very intuitive. 30 minutes fiddling and exploring and I think I've got it mastered. The Organiser, which needed a shot of adrenalin, is very slick in this new version and I have not had a hang or freeze yet (which was a regular occurrence in v.10).
The general appearance is much improved also and maybe it's my imagination but my pictures look even more vibrant and detailed (I have a 24 inch HDMI monitor).
I'm running the Portrait Professional Plug In and I had no problem moving it to the new version through the PP settings menu.
However I've not figured out how to move the Vertus Fluid Mask plug in over. I've sent support an e-mail.
Incidentally, the reason I purchased version 11 was that there are to be no more Adobe Raw updates for version 10, and I had just bought a new camera and couldn't use RAW with it's files. Also it was on special offer yesterday for around 32. Ran update of v.11 on installation and it works a treat.
Amazon delivery service once again exceptional, via good old Royal Mail. Despatch E-mail about a couple of hours after ordering, received day after, so up and running some 15 hours after ordering. This is the sort of service that makes Amazon among the very best. Except when they use that other notorious delivery service whose name I shall not mention, but we all know which one I mean.
Update: Vertus Fluid Mask reload: after using a bit of brain power pondering I figured out that all I had to do was download the trial version and install. The licencing kicked in automatically. When I used the licencing tab the message "this product is already licensed" came up. Not obvious or stated anywhere but it worked.

Canon Power Shot G15 Camera - Black (28mm Wide Lens,12MP) 3.0 inch LCD FHD
Canon Power Shot G15 Camera - Black (28mm Wide Lens,12MP) 3.0 inch LCD FHD

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CAMERA SOME IMPORTANT SNAGS, 7 Feb 2013
First off this is a great camera and I don't need to waffle about it's capabilities as there are lots of online reviews available.
However, users of Photoshop Elements are warned that this software will not read the G15's RAW files. This is a MAJOR problem for me and I would not have bought the camera, had I known. My only option at the moment is to use Canon's DPP but this leads to a major workflow problem in moving them from DPP to PSE10 for further processing. A right pain in the rectum especially as the move to PSE option in DPP does not work for Elements. Adobe are being very slow about releasing an update to Adobe Camera Raw, seeing as how long this camera has been on the market. It is time we had a standard RAW format to avoid updates being needed every time a new camera comes on the market.
A couple of items not in the box (although stated on expanded specs list): No USB cable and no AV cable. Luckily I have them, but purchasers who don't have a compatible USB cable or a card reader won't be able to load their phots until they get one or the other.
Delivery was supersonic by Express. This was worth the extra as the camera is cheaper than elsewhere with Amazon. Delivered by DPD who kept me informed all the way, with a final e-mail detailing the very hour it would be delivered, and it was, to the minute. 15 hours from ordering, to having it in my hand. Exceptional service and shames that notorious other delivery firm that Amazon sometimes uses.
Fingers crossed for an Adobe RAW update very soon!

Update (8/2/13): I have just heard that Elements 10 will NOT be updated to Camera Raw 7.3. This means that those RAW shooters with the G15 and PSE 10 will have to upgrade to PSE 11 (62). Not Amazon's fault I hasten to add but Adobe's. This of course highlights the software problems purchasers of new kit sometimes incur and should be aware of.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 1:58 PM GMT

Jackspeak: A Guide to British Naval Slang and Usage
Jackspeak: A Guide to British Naval Slang and Usage
by Rick Jolly
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars WISH SAILORS STILL SPOKE LIKE THIS, 6 Feb 2013
Oh what a wonderful and very amusing trip down memory lane to read this book. The sheer ingenuity and expression of RN Naval slang is a thing of wonder and very amusing. Being an old salt myself (and, incidentally, having served with both Rick Jolly and Tugg), I used to talk just like this when in the company of fellow matelots. I have the original spiral bound advanced copy that I got from Rick, some years ago, but this 2011 updated version is much more comprehensive. Rick's missed a couple of gems out but I'll let him know using the contact detailed in the book. This can still be enjoyed by "Gash Civvies" who will "crease up" whilst hoisting in the "dits". Sadly a lot of the jargon is no longer used and a lot of the kit and activities referred to, no longer happens in our much diminished boating lake navy. As well as being very amusing this book should be regarded very seriously as a valid historical document. If I had only one criticism, it can be slightly Officer-centric in places, whilst the wonderful slang mainly emanated from the lower deck. However, this does not detract from the value of this book.

Unforgiven [DVD]
Unforgiven [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suranne Jones
Price: 8.25

5.0 out of 5 stars DRAMA OF THE FIRST QUALITY, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Unforgiven [DVD] (DVD)
Sooner or later Suranne Jones is going to be recognised as one of our finest actresses. She has never been in a duff production and this is absolutely no exception. The depth of emotion she can express, without dialogue, is simply stunning. All supporting cast also excellent. I will not reveal the storyline but be assured it is excellent, although you may figure out the truth behind "the happening" early on, it is of no consequence and will not affect your appreciation of the fine performances. Please watch this, I want the world to know and appreciate the sheer quality that is Suranne Jones. You'll need a box of tissues (available on Amazon). She's come a long way from Coronation Street. Hope we will soon see her in a big production and up there receiving honours that she so richly deserves.

Canon MG5350 Pixma Inkjet All-In-One Airprint A4 Printer
Canon MG5350 Pixma Inkjet All-In-One Airprint A4 Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PRINTER, 30 Jan 2013
I bought this to replace my Canon ip8500 which was getting a bit geriatric. Very pleased with this printer. The quality of prints (using Canon papers) is excellent and cannot be faulted. Set up was not fully straightforward but got there in the end. Wireless connection was made without any hassle. However I could not load the MP scanner drivers and kept getting a message saying the "printer drivers are in use". The result is I have to scan from resident programmes such as Photoshop and Word.
Prints from my iPad without any problems. The iPad recognised it immediately.
Copying documents is a doddle (without PC being on) and of very good quality.
Like all Canon printers, when first flashed up after being off for a while it goes through all sorts of self checks and procedures, which means a fairly lengthy wait before you get off the starting blocks. Sometimes takes a while to make connection (wirelessly) with the computer.
My first batch of inks that came installed seemed to run out in a flash ( a common thing with a lot of makes - they need to sell ink). I shall see how the reload goes. Printer ink now more expensive than Chanel No. 5, so I shall report back on this.
Good looking machine and the minor minuses above do not detract from the overall quality of this printer.
Incidentally, I have to say I did not purchase this item from Amazon as I feared they would deliver it using Yodel.

Hanging Wardrobe Dehumidifier By 151 - Helps Stop Damp
Hanging Wardrobe Dehumidifier By 151 - Helps Stop Damp
Offered by best deal 4 u
Price: 1.22

4.0 out of 5 stars THEY ARE WORKING, 29 Jan 2013
I put two of these in a built-in wardrobe that is on an external wall. Only been installed 3 days and they are taking up the moisture with each about a quarter full. I did not put them on the clothes rails amongst the clothes as I thought this would impede their efficiency. I screwed in a couple of cup hooks on the wardrobe inner sides and hung one each side. Cheap and efficient, it would appear. I shall be ordering more.

OP/TECH Cam Strap QD for Compact Cameras and Binoculars - Black
OP/TECH Cam Strap QD for Compact Cameras and Binoculars - Black
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT STRAP, 28 Jan 2013
Excellent, strong and handy strap. Very sturdy make and inspires confidence. The quick release is a very good fit and holds together very firmly. Particularly like the sliding "tightener" for the wrist. Neoprene has lots of comfy give. Well made and has a quality feel and appearance. It's obviously not meant for a large piece of kit but is spot on for small cameras, phones, etc. providing they have provision for the loop to be attached. Delivered very efficiently by Royal Mail and not by one of the disreputable carriers Amazon often still insists on using.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY ITEM, 24 Jan 2013
Light and soft. A good spring/summer dressing gown. I'm a big lad (6 foot - not slim) but L/XL was a good fit, without my dangly bits on show. Some online sizings are fantasy, this was accurate. Vibrant colours. Hope softness and colours survive the wash (I will of course use fabric conditioner) - I will let you know. Fairly snazzy without giving the wrong impression.
Delivered in good time by good old Royal Mail who have now become the most reliable delivery service used by Amazon and their associates!

TFA Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
TFA Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
Offered by Wetterladen24
Price: 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars EFFICIENT LITTLE ITEM - SNAGS WITH DELIVERY, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: TFA Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
This is nice, efficient little item. It will enable me to manage moisture levels in my bungalow. It has prompted me to put the dehumidifier up a notch or two already, resulting in a drop in rh. Temperature is accurate when checked with my electricity monitor and room thermostat.
The snag was that it was delivered by the dreaded Yodel. I was out and it was left on my doorstep in full view, in the pouring rain. The package also showed signs of being torn open. Yodel tape over tearing but not very efficient as there was still a gap and foam filler was coming out onto the path. Package was a soggy mess but trade packaging of item saved it. I have added the supplier to the list of those who use Yodel and will thus be avoiding them.
Would have got 5 stars but for the delivery snags.

The Band From Rockall
The Band From Rockall
Price: 13.47

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL EXCELLENCE, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Band From Rockall (Audio CD)
Saw the documentary on BBC Alba (a home of hidden gems) whilst channel surfing and just had to have this music. Got all Runrig's stuff but this is somehow more distilled and focussed. It is inspiring and makes the heart unsteady. In my decades long love affair with popular music nothing has gripped me more than this. This musical achievement surpasses anything I've ever heard, including all the classics and popular - name anybody - this is better.
Not available on iTunes or as an Amazon download so you're going to have to buy the disc, but it is cheap enough. You need it: get it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9