Profile for L. Stamford > Reviews

Content by L. Stamford

L. Stamford (Manchester, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BT HOME HUB 4
BT HOME HUB 4
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on the second hand market, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
These were originally sold by BT for >£100, but were also given as upgrades to existing customers, which means there are loads of them on the second hand market for £20-30. At that price, it's currently (Feb 2014) the best value dual-band router around.

I was having problems with 2.4 GHz WiFi because I live in an apartment block (too much interference from other WiFi signals), so I bought a used one of these and made the switch to 5 GHz. By default, it broadcasts the same SSID on both bands, but you can set it to give different names, so I now have it broadcasting two SSIDs, one of which is 2.4 GHz and the other 5 GHz so I can tell which frequency my devices are detecting and connecting to. The interface is quite nice with loads of options and a nice diagram of all the devices currently connected to your router. The broadband speeds I'm getting are very slightly faster than my previous TP-link router, but the nice clear 5 GHz spectrum means that everything actually works much faster.

There's also a USB port in the back so you can attach network storage. I haven't actually tested this yet, but it's a nice feature to have. The unit itself is nicely made, has a handy reboot button on the top and is smaller than I expected. The only potential downside of the router is that you only get one gigabit ethernet port (the other three are 100 Mb); this was improved on the Home Hub 5.0, along with the addition of 'ac' wireless, but they're still quite expensive.

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly fast and comes with decent software, 2 Jan 2014
I recently used this to upgrade an Acer S3 (i5-3317u processor, very slow conventional 500 GB hard disk with a tiny SSD attached). The transformation is huge, as expected, and overall performance is now very snappy. It boots up in about 5 seconds and programs open almost instantly.

Benchmarks are showing about 555 MB/s (for both read and write) and smaller file sizes are also quick, much better than any of the regular Sandforce-controlled SSDs I've come across (including the Mushkin in my desktop). I should note that this is all without using Samsung's RAPID mode which preloads some data into RAM for even quicker access (I only have 4GB RAM so I disabled it).

The bundled software is refreshingly good, coming with a decent drive cloner and a maintenance utility that can update the firmware and tweak other settings (e.g. turning on/off RAPID, overprovisioning, Windows settings such as superfetch etc.).

Just to clarify - this DOES NOT come with a USB-SATA cable. For that you'll need the laptop upgrade kit, which is more expensive. I have a desktop that I could connect the drive to directly (via SATA), so this wasn't a problem for me.

Aidapt  Compact Weekday Pill Dispenser Pink
Aidapt Compact Weekday Pill Dispenser Pink
Offered by MP 1st Class Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Build quality not brilliant but it does the job - good value given the price., 2 Jan 2014
It sounds like a lot of people have been unlucky with this item. My partner has been using this for a few months now and there's no sign of it breaking. The build quality certainly isn't brilliant - there's some slack in the mechanism when you press the button and it can be a bit fiddly getting the lid off to refill - but it does what it's supposed to do, it's nice and compact and it costs next to nothing. I certainly can't complain.

Meir
Meir

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but it's not the one., 19 July 2013
This review is from: Meir (MP3 Download)
I loved Kvelertak's first album, mainly for the way they seemed to have an endless supply of immense riffs. A song would start off with a great riff and be going along nicely, then somewhere in the second half they'd explode into something else that was even better. I'm thinking about, for example, the transformations that happen in Ulvetid at 1min51, Fossegrim at 2min21, and the entire second half of Utrydd de svake.

Unfortunately there's not much of that in Meir. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album anyway (hence the 4 stars), but it just isn't as exciting. I also agree with a comment made in the review on Pitchfork: there are some missed opportunities, particularly Tordenbrak. It has a really great riff that feels like it needs to build and build until it ruptures into some kind of face-melting explosion that makes you want to rip off your pants and run around screaming, but that never happens. They play around with it for 9 minutes, but it never really changes, so what could've been an immense song is 'just' a very good one. It's kind of frustrating.

Anyway, it's still a good album, definitely worth the purchase, but I get the feeling that Kvelertak could deliver something unbelievable if they managed to hook everything up properly. Here's looking forward to the third album.

All Trade Direct 6 Pk Caps & Screws Car Number Plate Fixing Fitting Kit
All Trade Direct 6 Pk Caps & Screws Car Number Plate Fixing Fitting Kit
Offered by E2 TRADE

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cheap and surprisingly good quality., 15 April 2013
There's not too much to say about these apart from that they're ridiculously cheap and seem very good quality. I didn't need the black ones, but it's good they're included anyway. The car looks much better now that I don't have rusty exposed screws on the plates.

6-cell,11.10V,4400mAh,Li-ion,Replacement Laptop Battery for SAMSUNG R39-DY04, R39-DY06, R410-XA01, R410-XA02, R410-XA03, R41-T2050 Malaido, R41-T2060 Collin, R41-T2250 Madea, SAMSUNG M60, NP, P210, P460, P50 Pro, P50, P60 Pro, P60, R40, R45 Pro, R45, R510, R60, R65 Pro, R65, R70, R700, R710, X60 Plus, X60 Pro, X60, X65 Pro, X65, X460, X360 Series, P460-42P, P560-52P, P560-54G, P560-54P,  R610-64G, X460-41P, X460-41S,(Fits selected models only), Compatible Part Numbers: AA-PB2NC3B, AA-PB2NC6B, AA-PB2NC6B/E, AA-PB4NC6B, AA-PB4NC6B/E, AA-PB6NC6B, AA-PL2NC9B
6-cell,11.10V,4400mAh,Li-ion,Replacement Laptop Battery for SAMSUNG R39-DY04, R39-DY06, R410-XA01, R410-XA02, R410-XA03, R41-T2050 Malaido, R41-T2060 Collin, R41-T2250 Madea, SAMSUNG M60, NP, P210, P460, P50 Pro, P50, P60 Pro, P60, R40, R45 Pro, R45, R510, R60, R65 Pro, R65, R70, R700, R710, X60 Plus, X60 Pro, X60, X65 Pro, X65, X460, X360 Series, P460-42P, P560-52P, P560-54G, P560-54P, R610-64G, X460-41P, X460-41S,(Fits selected models only), Compatible Part Numbers: AA-PB2NC3B, AA-PB2NC6B, AA-PB2NC6B/E, AA-PB4NC6B, AA-PB4NC6B/E, AA-PB6NC6B, AA-PL2NC9B
Offered by Power Battery UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and lasts longer than the original, 19 Feb 2013
I've only had this for a couple of months, so can't really say much about its longevity, but it certainly lasts longer than the original Samsung battery in my laptop ever did (the laptop is an R60+). I'm getting over 3 hours with light/moderate use. My order was handled by Power Battery UK who dispatched it very quickly.

The 2nd Law [Explicit]
The 2nd Law [Explicit]

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Muse, but I'm going out on a limb and saying this is your worst album. It's OK - nothing more., 4 Oct 2012
Like every other Muse fan I was quite apprehensive about this album given all the talk about dubstep and the band's insistance on trying different styles with every new album. I'm not someone who doesn't like change - in fact I admire Muse for trying different sounds - but unfortunately this album hasn't really connected, and as a Muse fan since Showbiz (1999), I was really rooting for them.

The first track, Supremacy, is very 007-esque, and it's a good rock track, but I feel like it needs a but more explosiveness a la Assassin from Black Holes and Revelations.

Madness is definitely one of the best songs on here, if only for the build up and great singing at the climax around the 3:40 point.

Panic station is ridiculous, but I actually really like it. It's a kind of Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-meets-INXS vibe, but it's done extremely well.

Survival, the Olympics song, is an odd one. I like most of the elements, and I think the falsetto at the 2:55 mark is judged brilliantly, but the lyrics are so lame that I feel a little awkward most of the way through.

Follow Me is very good - a very musical, classic Muse verse and bridge, followed by a chorus that sounds very much like something by Nero on their Welcome Reality album.

Animals is yet another different style of song. It's more chilled out than the other tracks with some great bass lines and nice lead guitar twiddling, and eventually degenerates into a load of shouting voices, which matches the whole theme of unsustainable consumerism driven by thoughtless instinct. It could be more interesting though.

I can't get particularly excited about Explorers. It's OK (and I do like the Elbow-style harmony slide at 4:03) but mostly quite boring. Big Freeze, likewise, is OK but I don't find myself deliberately listening to it. It's basically a U2 track with Matt Bellamy on vocals, even including the prerequisite U2 fade-in at the start. In fact, he even sings "electrical storm" at 2:07 - I assume this is a deliberate reference, which I quite like, but it doesn't make the song much more interesting.

Right, now we're into Save Me and Liquid State, both written and sung by Chris instead of Matt. Oddly, and irritatingly, both these tracks seem to have far worse production than the rest of the album: they sounds flat, there's no detail in there, and I've not idea why the band and producers would let that pass. Anyway, Save Me is quite forgettable and Liquid State is basically a decent Foo Fighters track that could do with a bit more musical complexity.

The two closing tracks are remarkable for their lack of singing and of course the infamous dubstep 'unsustainable' robot. To be honest I quite like them both (the first half of Isolated System btw reminds me of some of the more obscure stuff by Divine Comedy, but perhaps that's just me...). The problem is, compared to the epicness of the Exogenesis Symphony series on Resistance, they're just not that interesting.

Ultimately, I think Muse have tried very hard to cover as many genres as possible and, in general, they've done a good job of it. It's just that it feels a bit gimmicky, like they said "What shall we try this time then? How about we just stick a load of different styles in there and see what happens?". And that's fine, but when we all know they're capable of producing music that's completely original, inventive and unlike other artists it's just a bit disappointing. Where's the stand-out Muse-ness that made them so great? Cave, Showbiz, Citizen Erased, Plug in Baby, Stockholm Syndrome, Knights of Cydonia, Exogenesis Part 1 - those are the kind of original tracks I'm talking about. I hope they can bring that back for the next album.

Renata 377 SR626SW 1.55v Silver Oxide Watch battery
Renata 377 SR626SW 1.55v Silver Oxide Watch battery
Offered by Birch Jewellers

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy-cheap and works perfectly., 1 Sep 2012
I can't really understand how it's possible for this to be so cheap... This is basically the cost of posting an empty envelope. Anyway, happily the envelope wasn't empty, the battery's the genuine article and my mini-clock-thing is now back in action.

Energizer LR44/A76 Battery Twin Pack
Energizer LR44/A76 Battery Twin Pack
Offered by iShop Crystals

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing price!, 1 Sep 2012
Bought this to replace the battery in my Casio calculator (first new battery it's had in about 10 years!). The price is ridiculous - it must cost them almost that much in postage - so I was a bit wary it would be an old pack that had been sitting in a warehouse for years and years. Fortunately I was wrong. The pack says 'best if used before July 2014' (I ordered it in Aug 2012), so plenty of life left. Maybe I'll buy another pack when this runs out in 2022!

Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII Clear S-Line Gel Silicone Case + Screen Protector & Sock
Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII Clear S-Line Gel Silicone Case + Screen Protector & Sock
Offered by iDELTA UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars I can only back up what everyone else has said..., 17 Aug 2012
- Ridiculously cheap
- Good quality
- Case and screen protector both fit very well (screen protector is perfectly shaped to fit around the bottom button, front-facing camera, sensors and front speaker)
- Sock also fits and is good quality, though I won't be using it myself.

I think my only criticism is that the screen protector is more reflective than the screen itself, making it harder to see properly in bright sunlight. But for a couple of quid, I don't care.

By the way, don't think you can rely on the Gorilla Glass: that's what I thought and still ended up with a very thin scratch despite being incredibly careful. That's the main reason I bought this kit - it's a very cheap and effective insurance policy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3