Profile for A. Willmer > Reviews

Content by A. Willmer

A. Willmer (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Three Musketeers (BBC Audio)
The Three Musketeers (BBC Audio)
by Alexandre Dumas
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 13.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun!, 9 April 2014
I don't know if you've tried to read the novel, but I found it really hard work. Dull, meandering and some of the stodgiest prose known to man! Thank God that this radio gem is such an entertaining treat!

Trimmed of all the fat, the writer and director have transformed this bloated romp into a slick, entertaining thrill fest! The characters are brilliantly drawn (Timothy Spall is fantastic!) and there's a good blend between the humour and tragedy - the climax is truly heartbreaking.

I'm a big fan of radio drama, but this is one of my favourite productions. I cannot recommend it enough. The only downside is that BBC decided not to dramatize the other novels.

Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension, Year 6
Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension, Year 6
by Charlotte Makhlouf
Price: 16.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun stories and useful activieties!, 9 April 2014
I don't know how other teachers feel, but I've always found it hard to get hold of good, solid comprehension books. Either the texts aren't challenging enough or, as is more usual, the questions are primarily literal and don't support the development of inference skills. That's where this book is different.

The questions do challenge children and require them to think more deeply about the material they've read. Pupils are asked open questions and which require evidence from the text. Furthermore, the stories are mostly fun and engaging, which is no mean feat in the age of iPods and DSs.

My one quibble was the quality of the writing. While the plotting is interesting, at times the writing is a bit clunky and there are often too many characters - but that's just a small gripe from a moany English teacher!

I would also like to echo what the other reviewer said - this is a really great series and they are really worth investing in.

Arwing Space Dynamics t-shirt inspired by Starfox (Medium)
Arwing Space Dynamics t-shirt inspired by Starfox (Medium)
Offered by Z-Day Survivors
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Fanboy T-shirt, 8 April 2014
I have been a massive fan of the Star Fox franchise and I'm geeky enough to own a few Fan Boy T-shirts. Generally, the quality can be a bit patchy and that's the case here. The shirt itself is decent, but the print looks a bit thin and I'm not sure how many washes it will survive.

As for the design, it's great. Quite understated so it won't make you look too much of a nerd, but the 'Space Dynamics' reference is enough to earn the odd wink or nod for those in the know.

All in all, a decent buy and a good price. Probably a 'must' for all Fox McCloud followers.

Charles Wilson Two Colour Twisted Cotton Button Neck Jumper (Medium, Red)
Charles Wilson Two Colour Twisted Cotton Button Neck Jumper (Medium, Red)
Offered by Charles Wilson Clothing
Price: 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain jumper!, 8 April 2014
I have recently discovered Charles Wilson clothes, and I have to say I cannot recommend them enough. This jumper was the fourth or fifth product I've purchased from them and I'm really delighted with it - I've even ordered another colour!

The fit is perfect for me and hangs really well. In fact, several of my friends have commented on how nice the jumper is - I'm a bit loath to tell them it only cost just north of a tenner!

A few reviewers have moaned about the the 'build quality', but I'm really not sure what planet they're on. Certainly, it's not Armani quality, but this jumper is well made and has survived several washes and looks good as new. The colours are vibrant and the blend of threads gives a really good effect.

Got to be the best value knitwear out there - I'll definitely be going back for more stuff.

Genius SP-S110 2 Piece Stereo PC Speakers 100W PMPO
Genius SP-S110 2 Piece Stereo PC Speakers 100W PMPO
Offered by TK Logistics
Price: 8.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish!, 8 April 2014
I bought these a while back and, initially, I was pretty pleased. The sound quality was fairly good and they produced a loud sound. Also, they don't really have that tinny sound that you associate with naff speakers.

However, as the weeks progressed, I started to encounter problems. Firstly, I noticed that the headphone jack is awful. It causes a horrendous buzzing sound that makes it unusable - and I have tried several sets of headphones. If this was all, I could live with it - after all they only cost a tenner. Sadly, as the weeks progressed the connection began to fail in one of the speakers. It started to whistle and hiss and today, much to my irritation, it has finally given up the ghost.

The moral of the story? Don't be cheap skate! I guess you get what you pay for in this life so do yourself a favour and go for something that costs a few pounds more.

TELL ME MORE French v10 10 levels+business (PC DVD)
TELL ME MORE French v10 10 levels+business (PC DVD)
Price: 441.30

3.0 out of 5 stars You are much better off going to lessons!, 22 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been trying to learn French for a while now and without much success. Therefore, I decided to give this program a go.

First off the bat, I would say that you shouldn't buy this unless you are committed. The price is outrageous to be honest. However, that said, it does give you a lot of different ways to learn. It has interactive videos (which are good), MP3s, printouts and you get an online helper.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about what the product does - previous reviews have done so with more eloquence that I could. However, I would just say that, while this is a decent product, I feel that you can do better with cheaper alternatives. The Collins Cds are a fraction of the price and much better. Also, contact your local library or council. They usually run courses (mine does) which are much, MUCH cheaper and, in my experience a better way to learn.

Career Coach: Your personal workbook for a better career
Career Coach: Your personal workbook for a better career
by Corinne Mills
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start if you are looking for a change., 20 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We all get a bit fed up with our careers - God knows I do. However, it can be really difficult to know where to turn. You can often feel like you are stuck in a rut. What this book does is to help you overcome all of this.

I think the key thing here is self-worth. In the work place it's very easy to start believing that you're no good - that you're too old or unskilled to change. But this book teaches you that, with reflection, you can identify your good points (which makes you realise just how useful you are), and to pick out some points that need improving (which makes you even more employable.).

The book is split up into sections that the reader can fill in. They relat to job satisfaction, achievement, working habits etc. It's really easy to follow and, for the sake of a few quid, I would suggest you give it a go. What have you got to lose?

McAfee Total Protection 2012, 3 PC's, 12 month Subscription (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2012, 3 PC's, 12 month Subscription (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good software, 20 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say, I usually go with AVG. I trust them and they have never let me down. However, as McAfee have such a good name I was happy to give them a go when the opportunity arose.

Generally I was pleased. It kept viruses to a minimum and was easy to install. However, I found the interface a little bit awkward at times. I just didn't seem as user friendly as my old AVG software.

All in all a decent product. Can't complain too much.

Avipro Plus (Pack Size: 1Kg Pot)
Avipro Plus (Pack Size: 1Kg Pot)
Offered by NutreVet
Price: 42.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff!, 11 Nov 2012
I first discovered Avipro when a friend of mine recommended it. I keep a lot of reptiles, and I had an African Fat Tailed gecko that wasn't eating. She'd been through a bit of a traumatic experience. She had to be spayed because she was egg bound and had been neglected by the shop I bought her from. In truth, I thought she was going to die. However, by sprinkling a bit of this wonder-stuff into her water every day, she regained her appetite and is now fit and healthy.

Since then I have used it with various reptiles and it has never let me down. Many of my friends have also tried it with other reptiles and had similar results. As I understand it, it also works with other animals too. Just remember to keep it dry as it goes hard and lumpy if you don't.

Brilliant stuff!

Confidence Fitness Pulley Rower Rowing Machine
Confidence Fitness Pulley Rower Rowing Machine
Offered by The Sports HQ
Price: 199.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy, 3 Nov 2012
As I've neared thirty I've become less and less active and more and more unfit. I decided that I needed to sort myself out before I became a blimp. What better way to achieve that than by purchasing a rowing machine?

Initially I was impressed. The package arrived quickly and the postage was free. Also, it was easy to assemble and certainly looks the part. However, looks can be deceiving as I was about to discover.

First of all, the computer doesn't work - and yes, I have connected it correctly. Not the end of the world, but a pain the backside nevertheless. Secondly the band is made of rubber and there is no way of increasing the tension - which is a fundamental flaw if you ask me. It should be a basic feature of any rowing machine. The handles are also all plasticy and nasty.

If I were going to buy another machine (which I may have to in a few months time), I will invest a few more quid and go for something with a bit more quality. I guess it's true what they say: you get what you pay for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12