Profile for Dr. Mike > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Cat Mate Glass Fitting Cat Flap - White
Cat Mate Glass Fitting Cat Flap - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly well-designed product, 19 Oct. 2014
I had one of these installed in a new uPVC door some twenty years ago. Eventually the transparent flap broke; you can't repair it with ANY glue - or only for a day or two anyway. Should have looked on Amazon first, there are spare flaps listed. Bought a replacement from a local pet store and it was total ****. Only then did I look on Amazon. Compared with the other product this shows vastly superior design:
The screws install from the inside
It has a weather-seal with a small gap at the bottom to let water OUT if any does get in
The flap is in the plane of the outside of the door - nowhere for snow to ledge in bad winters
The telescopic tunnel doesn't need sawing to length and has rounded edges - can't scratch the cat

The only improvement desirable for the single DIY man would be for the flap NOT to be installed in the outer cover as you receive it - would make it altogether easier to assemble into place on your own but I can see why they did it even so. Only visible change in twenty years has been to mould in "In only" and "Out only" legends beside the slide locks on the inner cover

PetSafe Staywell Deluxe Manual 4-Way Locking Cat Flap - White
PetSafe Staywell Deluxe Manual 4-Way Locking Cat Flap - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither weather-proof nor burglar-resistant, 19 Oct. 2014
I bought one of these at my local pet store. It was a replacement for a CatMate that had failed after some twenty years' use. In-store it looked OK but when I went to install it in a uPVC door it had a lot of defects. You have to saw the tunnel down to length and even then it doesn't 'seal' to be weatherproof. The clamping screws go in from the OUTSIDE - so easy for a burlar to remove and thereby obtain a larger hole. Sealed it overnight with Duck tape and only then looked on Amazon - bought an identical product to my old one - so much better!

Proto Zoa
Proto Zoa

4.0 out of 5 stars Better to get the older paper copy, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Proto Zoa (Kindle Edition)
Four out of five the stories in this 'book' were available some time ago published in "Dreamweaver's Dilemma" by NESFA Press; my copy is the 2002 fourth printing. There is a lot of other material in that as well; it gives a much better idea of the directions in Lois' 'early' work. The fifth story is "Aftermaths" - the only "Wormhole Nexus" story in the collection - also a part of "Shards of Honour"
At the time I bought it, I didn't notice that any of the reviews posted the list of contents, or I wouldn't have bought it. Amazon itself isn't helpful in that respect either.
If you can't get the NESFA book, well, this is a good alternative but keep looking for the version on paper - the batteries don't run out.

The Somnambulist (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Somnambulist (GOLLANCZ S.F.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going - convinced me not to buy any more "steampunk", 2 Aug. 2014
I got this for two reasons. One was to try a full-length novel on my new Kindle, the other was that I was attending a course given by the author. This is "steampunk" which I just don't like (based on two out of a sample of two books). It took as long to read the novel as to attend the course (over 12 weeks) and I maybe read 80 other novels in that time. Can't say it holds the attention ...
As another review says "Warning: contains no somnabulists" but on the other hand it does contain a character valled "The Somnambulist" ... and a lot of misdirection.

Wahl 9916-1117 Groomsman Rechargeable Hair, Beard, Moustache Trimmer Set
Wahl 9916-1117 Groomsman Rechargeable Hair, Beard, Moustache Trimmer Set

5.0 out of 5 stars There's something really nice about finding a loved product still in production, 2 Aug. 2014
Years ago I had a Braun beard trimmer which I loved. When Its battery gave out I went back to buy another but the comb positions had changed; it was still usable but I didn't like it as much, so I got the battery replaced in my old one. The newer and the older gave up together - plastic fatigue - and Braun seemed to have exited the market.
I tried several others and then got a Wahl. I don't know how long it lasted - I don't keep bits of paper that long. When finally it started to fail to charge I looked for a new one - and there it was: silver instead of black but clearly the same. Actually, it isn't - the charger delivers more volts (which is generally "a good thing" in rechargeables), the blade guard is flimsier and it doesn't come with a travel bag. At the price, you still can't go wrong. I only use the two shortest of the 'fixed' combs (stubble and slighter-longer stubble) I didn't even realise that the big comb has six positions until I read other reviews (I don't read instruction leflets further than I have to).
Now, if only they'd do it with the Li-ion battery I wouldn't have to buy another before I die...

Heaven's Queen: Book 3 of Paradox: 3/3
Heaven's Queen: Book 3 of Paradox: 3/3
by Rachel Bach

3.0 out of 5 stars No tension, 28 Jun. 2014
The blurb advertising this set of three is considerably better written than the books.
They should have it all - invisible psychic beasties that eat worlds - heavily armoured mercenaries - a king with strange powers - conspiracy theories that turn out to be correct.
Instead, like so many of Anne McCaffrey's books - no tension.

Cauldron Of Ghosts (Crown of Slaves)
Cauldron Of Ghosts (Crown of Slaves)
by David Weber

2.0 out of 5 stars Pity - I used to like Weber's books, 13 April 2014
I'm also beginning to distrust anything co-authored with Eric Flint.
It's annoying to have to get out the previous three or four books, find the date pages in them, cross-correlate and then discover that this book only advances the whole story by two months. This is especially true when it's too thick to read in one go (570 or so pages) and really doesn't hold the attention well enough to encourage that either.
I'd almost say wait until you can get a secondhand copy but that means that there have to be enough mugs to buy it in the first place and who feel it's worth selling-on rather than burning.

The Cassandra Project
The Cassandra Project
by Jack McDevitt
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather dated style and numbers, 8 Jan. 2014
Conspiracy theories (yawn).
Nice enough concept - billionaire determined to get man back into space and onto the moon again - and go there himself.
But the numbers seem way too low; Silicon Valley billionaires make this one look like a pauper. I'm surprised to find it is copyright 2012 - the numbers suit a decade or so earlier.
Like "Moonfall" it doesn't quite hang together.

Starhawk (Academy)
Starhawk (Academy)
by Jack McDevitt

3.0 out of 5 stars The Amazon numbering should actually be (Engines of God: 0)., 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Starhawk (Academy) (Paperback)
Another book in the "Hutch" series; the origin of her career.
Worth reading if you like the series. McDevitt is usually either good or bad; this is actually middling.

Defender (Kris Longknife Novels)
Defender (Kris Longknife Novels)
by Mike Shepherd
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars This series is now pulp fiction, 18 Nov. 2013
I wasn't that keen on the previous one in the series; but I'd read the series from the beginning.
With this volume it has now turned into 1920's-quality pulp fiction; I won't be buying any more from this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4