Profile for James Lizard > Reviews

Brabantia 349904 Gas Flame Lighter Matt Steel
Brabantia 349904 Gas Flame Lighter Matt Steel
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not muchcop in the kitchen, 21 Dec 2011
If you always have totally dry strong hands at the cooker - never wet, never greasy - then this is the product for you.

However, if you have even slightly wet or greasy hands, using the poorly designed flick-on switch will result in an ungainly two-fisted struggle as the unlit gas pours out of the burners.

A box of matches may do the job, but this nice-looking product is unfortunately unfit for purpose.

Brabantia 348709 Flame Lighter Classic White
Brabantia 348709 Flame Lighter Classic White
Offered by Pembroke Dock Hardware

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose in the kitchen...., 21 Dec 2011

Nemesis
Nemesis
by Philip Roth

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit bloodless, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: Nemesis (Paperback)
I have read a few Philip Roth books; probably enjoyed The Human Stain best.

I came to this book when I was a third of the way into an earlier work My Life as a Man which I found pretty awful and decided to stop reading in order to use my time better.

This book was short and an easy read. But like other reviewers, I found the characters one-dimensional. None of them came to life for me, especially the protagonist's fiancee, who seemed a cookie-cutter middle class American girl.

The plot device of having the protagonist "dictate" the book to the narrator at a later date in a series of conversations was clunky in the extreme.

It hasn't put me off Philip Roth - which My Life as a Man almost managed to do - but I agree with other reviewers that this is a readable book but not a great one.

eMachines 355 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N455 Processor, 1 GB RAM , 250 GB HDD, Windows 7 Starter 32-bit) - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars I love this...oh dear, it's the end of the affair! WORKING AGAIN!, 14 Oct 2011
I finally stopped shilly-shallying about getting a netbook. I was fed up with our laptop being used by other people (my wife's grown-up kids) and wanted something that was 1)strictly only for my use and 2) was genuinely portable, but not a silly size like a mobile phone.

Good price and very useful. My advice: if word processing, download Open Office and use that rather than the silly MS Word "version" that you get with the machine.

Very pleased.

The Latest - August 2012:

Unfortunately my lovely machine developed strange blotches on the screen which made it very difficult to use.

No worries I thought, it's still under warranty. However, this is a company that seems very reluctant to honour their warranties as can be seen on a number of web forums.

First you have to call their centre in India and provide proof of purchase. I emailed my Amazon dispatch note, and was then left a message that it wasn't proof of purchase!

I emailed back that this was ridiculous and would certainly not buy any more Acer (parent company) or eMachines products.

Then I was told that having re-sent my dispatch note, this was proof of purchase.

They took my machine off to their repair centre, and then phoned up and said their "assessor" said the blotches were my fault and offered to repair it for £95.

I said no way and they sent the machine back unrepaired. A written document described the fault as "customer induced". Weird as the machine has been used perfectly normally throughout.

However, having read about all the hassle others have had with this company and given the original price, I have decided to buy a screen and try the repair myself. If it doesn't work out I'll buy a new machine from a company with a more civilised approach to customer service.

Based on my experience, I'd describe eMachines as the Ryanair of computers.

UPDATE:

I bought a replacement screen via Amazon for about £30, used a youTube instruction video and repaired it myself - by the way I'm no techie! It's not difficult if you follow the instructions here:

[...]

Duronic LS06 10.2" Premium Neoprene Laptop Pouch Sleeve for Notebooks upto 10.2 inch
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Well priced and excellent, 14 Oct 2011
This fits my lovely new netbook and has a zip-up pouch for cables,a book or whatever you want. Don't spend more; this is brill.

2012 Moleskine Pocket Weekly Notebook 12 Months Soft
2012 Moleskine Pocket Weekly Notebook 12 Months Soft

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - use one every year, 12 Oct 2011
I love this diary. Very useful to have a note sheet alongside the diary. Compact and with flexible cover so it's good in trouser pocket as well as jacket or bag. Very useful wallet thing at back. Better than any other pocket diary.

So why only 4 stars? Because I use one each year. This model comes only in black with no year printed on the front!

Daft, particularly during the year changeover period. I have to stick a year label on myself. As I'm a bloke it's rather crudely done!

Be nice to have gold printing done properly!Or different colours avalable.

Anyway, buy it!

Brilliant Life: How to Live a Brilliant, Balanced Life
Brilliant Life: How to Live a Brilliant, Balanced Life
by Michael Heppell

2.0 out of 5 stars He really should credit Tony Robbins!, 29 Sep 2011
Perhaps this book should be called "Pretty good but mediocre life". For example apart from one brief nod to the self-employed, the Career section is aimed at making you a better (though rather slow) corporate greasy pole climber. But surely there must be more to life than middle management!

The tone of the book is pretty patronising, and the tips such as written goals are largely old chestnuts. And do you need to be told it may be a good idea to read a book on a train journey?

A lot of the practical stuff and ideas seem to have been derived from Anthony Robbins' "Awaken the Giant Within In" which is a self-improvement classic. A pity that there was no acknowledgement of Robbins' work.

Having said that, it is always good to pick up a self-development book from time to time and take a look at where you are and what you can do to improve your relationships, financial affairs, etc.

My own self-development tip - check out "Awaken the Giant Within"...

BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT CHARGER FOR HP COMPAQ PAVILION DV 6000 LAPTOP AC ADAPTE BY DYNAMIK
Offered by Tech Global

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, 21 Sep 2011
IT arrived, it works and is a reasonable price. Minor gripe: cloverleaf power cable rather short. Stuck our old one on, and there are plenty of cheap cables available on Amazon.

Crucial Sodimm Laptop Memory Upgrade (1GB,200-pin,DDR2 PC2-5300,Cl=5,1.8v)
Crucial Sodimm Laptop Memory Upgrade (1GB,200-pin,DDR2 PC2-5300,Cl=5,1.8v)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install - speeds up your laptop a treat, 4 Sep 2011
We were resigned to buying a new laptop when a friend told us about upgrading the memory. For under £[] we now have a superfast laptop. I'm no technical genius but follow the guide on YouTube and like me you'll have a supercharged laptop in a few minutes!

Buy it!

White Teeth
White Teeth
by Zadie Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't risk dying before you've read this book!, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: White Teeth (Paperback)
Given my age (undisclosed) and as an English graduate I've read a lot of "great" novels in my time and this is one of the greatest books I've ever read!

It is laugh-out-loud funny, irreverent and very perceptive.

I wasn't planning to read it, thinking all the fuss was just another bit of publisher's hype. Fortunately my daughter told me I would enjoy it. I have more than enjoyed it. I love it. And I can hardly believe it was written by someone under 25 years old!

This is a great novel and very funny. Don't risk dying before you've read it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7