Profile for James Lizard > Reviews

James Lizard (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be scared - replace screen yourself!, 16 Nov. 2012
Arrived VERY quickly - ordered 14 Nov, arrived 16 Nov.

Only quibble was packaging - a bit of bubble wrap and a pretty flimsy box. The bubble wrap wasn't sealed and my screen had escaped and was wandering at will around the flimsy cardboard box. Good on the Post Office for observing the Fragile sticker or it could have easily been damaged.

Anyway it wasn't and I used the following YouTube video to do the repair in 20 mins tops

[...]

I saved myself £60 and a lot of hassle by not going to one of those awful shops where your computer is chucked around like a piece of dirty laundry!

All you have to do is follow the instructions and undo six tiny screws - a very small X-head screwdriver is needed. When replacing the screws I keep them on the end of the screwdriver with a tiny piece of Blue-Tak.

If I can do it you can!

The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
by Don Bartlett

2.0 out of 5 stars Taut it aint!, 14 Nov. 2012
I am on page 450 and have found this book very slow going.

Why are detective novels so damn long these days! I suppose its because they are "airport" books which people ytake on holiday and instead of doing something interesting, lie around reading something interminable to pass the time.

THrillers are best kept short. Jaws was less than 350pp and managed to give a picture of a whole small town and its leading residents by skilfully using enough detail to allow the reader to build a colourful picture.

Jo Nesbo can write short and taut. I loved Headhunters - taut and lots of humour.

Surely if you can't tell a good story in under 500pp why are you writing. And don't point to Dickens and other Victorian writers who wrote far more than they needed to because most were originally serials in magazines and they had to keep the wordage up whether inspired or not. They could all do with a good haircut too!

The Redbreast goes on and on - whether this reader will survive to the bitter end remains to be seen!

Exit Ghost
Exit Ghost
by Philip Roth

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Exit Ghost (Paperback)
Boring! And if reviews could be less than 20 words, I'd leave it at that. Nearly all the characters are "writers" and the whole thing is a literary conceit with no spark. Or if you are generous, a meditation on ageing.

Also if you are not American, you may well find the references to US politics and elections stultifying.

I'm finally giving up on Roth!

Gigaset C610H Cordless Phone - Piano Black
Gigaset C610H Cordless Phone - Piano Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as what went before...and that's not just nostalgia!, 18 July 2012
I bought this handset to go with our existing Gigaset C475 system, having left two of the original handsets out in the rainiest summer we've ever had. The C47 handsets are no longer commonly available, although I've since found one or two on offer.

The new handset is not a patch on its predecessor for build quality, display or features. Although there is a mute button (as requested by many users) the facility to record conversations has gone. You may not use this often, but for some important conversations it's very useful indeed. Battery life is also not as good as on C47 handset
And although I checked for compatibility with our existing sytem on the Gigaset website, it does not fit our C475 base unit.
Replacements should always be better built and offer more than their forerunners. Unfortunately this doesn't.

Spirit In The Room
Spirit In The Room

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a convert!, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Spirit In The Room (Audio CD)
I heard a few tracks from this on Bob Harris's Radio show together with an excellent interview.

Very impressed with this album, the first TJ I've ever bought, although I could do without rehashed Tom Waits!

The album's good and inspired me to go to see him live at the Hammersmith Apollo. Now I'm a Tom Jones fan.

At 72 years old, his voice is amazing, he actually bothers to talk in an unaffected way to the audience, and has a technical and emotional vocal abilities second to none.

He is a truly great singer bringing good songs to life - usually far better than those who wrote them. He and his band can play anything to the highest standard - rock, bloues, gospel, country, folk, funk - you name it.

He played for nearly 2.5 hours and there was never a dull moment. This man is not a legend for nothing!

The Leopard: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 6)
The Leopard: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 6)
by Don Bartlett

2.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't a thriller thrill?, 23 Jun. 2012
I saw the film Headhunters and thought it was exciting, funny and fast paced. I read the book and found it even better than the film.

So I tried this - the first Harry Hole book I've looked at. Oh dear! Maverick alcoholic detective - yawn! On the case unofficially - yawn! 740 pages - triple yawn!

I've gone to 140 pages and don't feel I want to spend more hours on this. Bugger all has happened and the characters are flat.

I may be an old git, but I'm sure I remember a golden time when a thriller was more of a short exciting ride in a fast machine, instead of a self-indulgent ramble along the road to nowhere.

If you haven't already done so, read Headhunters. It's good. This isn't...

Crossing Jerusalem: Journeys at the Centre of the World's Trouble (Armchair Traveller (Haus Publishing))
by Nicholas Woodsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but gets a bit boring, 11 May 2012
I went to Jerusalem for the first time in February this year (2012) and spent ten days mainly on foot in this fascinating city.

Naturally my eye was caught by this book after coming back and it was pleasant to read someone else's take on places I'd been to.

However,like many travel books where the writer in effect writes up a detailed report of what is really an extended holiday, the second-hand experience starts to pall.

It's a bit like sitting through someone's holiday photos with a running commentary on who they met, where they went etc. It starts off interesting and goes into diminishing returns.

There's a lot of detail about people he meets, and while some have interesting things to say, many are just not that fascinating to someone who wasn't there.

If you are thinking of going to Jerusalem, my advice is to buty a couple of decent guidebooks and read up a bit on the history of the place.

Jerusalem itself won't disappoint and it's not quite so "tension-filled" as people like to make out. I was surprised, though, at the level of urban poverty among some Jewish people away from the tourist sites. And the city is moe "Eastern" than you might think.

Along with the religious pilgrims and those with particular political leanings, there is lots to fascinate the neutral tourist. Do go there.

Headhunters
Headhunters
by Jo Nesbo

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - for all the right reasons, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
I have never read a Jo Nesbo book before, but I will again on the basis of this.

I can't understand all the po-faced reviewers here. The book is a wonderful comedy thriller that had me laughing out loud. I read it after seeing the film. They were able to make that simply by following the book pretty much exactly, but the book is even better than the film, because all the thrills and spills and laughs are there, plus some interesting observations on the shabbier side of our human motivations.

The book also pokes fun at more conventional "thrillers". The use of product names is very much tongue in cheek, for example, with even Massey Ferguson tractors getting a name check.

It's an easy light-hearted read and almost as funny as Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe - which is saying something!

Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco and Destiny
Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco and Destiny
by Nile Rodgers

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising start veers towards tedium, 18 Mar. 2012
I've read quite a few autobiogs of well-known musicians and this fits the usual pattern of the "getting there" being more interesting than the "being there".

Nile Rodgers is a pop genius and easily the best rhythm guitarist I've ever clapped ears on. If I could relive my life and could choose to be in The Beatles or Chic, it would be a tough choice!

The insane circumstances of his childhood and the descriptions of adolescence bouncing between New York and LA make for fascinating reading.

However, it all starts to drag a bit after he's made it - especially once Chic gives way to production jobs for the likes of Duran Duran, God help us.

But the book does confirm from first-hand experience what you already knew. Madonna is short on talent but big on ego and ambition. David Bowie is a pretentious twit.

Unfortunately Nile Rodgers seems to swallow the Bowie is brilliant notion, quoting him saying "If you are from art you will go to art!" as if it's a life-changing insight fresh from the Buddha's lips.

Get a grip, Nile!

All in all, though, more than worth a read and it looks like he actually wrote it himself, unlike most celeb "autobiographies". Respect!

PS. Nile, please teach me the riff to Good Times!

The Fear Index
The Fear Index
by Robert Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Silly sub-Michael Crichton, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Fear Index (Hardcover)
This book doesn't cut the mustard in terms of offering a gripping thriller with an educational and "ideas" element. I have enjoyed other books by Robert Harris such as Pompeii and Enigma, but this one is based on a hackneyed idea (creating a technological Frankenstein's monster)and has a cast of cardboard cut-out characters.

Harris seems muddled about how markets work, so you can forget about learning about financial matters. He is weak on IT and computers. And the dash of cod psychiatry doesn't add much to the mix either.

Plotting is poor with the end obvious from ten miles out. I finished it because I was brought up to finish books as a good middle-class lad!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7