Profile for Joseph Holderness > Reviews

Content by Joseph Holderness

Joseph Holderness (London)

The Secret Library of Georges Armoulian: Being an Annotated Catalogue of Bizarre, Curious, Suppressed and Outrageous Books
by Anthony Frewin

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, 23 Feb 2013
Several tropes (JFK, organized crime, libidinous misconduct of various kinds) used in the author's previously published fiction are apparent here in a fake 'reference book' about the contents of the library of a very disreputable collector of odd books. Here these concerns are played for - very clever - laughs.

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Wireless Mono Laser Printer
Brother HL-2270DW Compact Wireless Mono Laser Printer
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Laser for Mac network, 10 Mar 2011
Very pleased with this small laser printer. Ordered on a Sunday, delivered next day on Monday which surprised me for starters. The machine is about the same size as a multi-function inkjet. I bought mine to print b&w docs, and kept an inkjet for colour, scans, copies, faxes etc. Connection to wireless network required connecting by USB (could have been to a router by ethernet) and running install software for setting passwords etc off a supplied CD. This took about 15 minutes all in, with installation of the drivers on to a laptop. Connecting other network machines to the printer was done by wifi in the Mac OS print & fax control panel, after having downloaded the right drivers from brother's website (which is quite simple). That's another 10 minutes approx. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 and there were no problems.

This printer prints duplex or single sided. To print duplex it ejects the sheet, then reingests it to print the other side. The process is quick. I bought the machine to print academic documents (mostly text and tables) and performance is very acceptable. I notice that the (inexpensive) copier paper I use can be a bit curly after duplex printing, but seems to flatten down afterwards. Brother advertises this machine as printing 'booklets' which suggested to me a rather clever reordering of the page numbers so that (typically) A4 pages can be squeezed two each side of a sheet of A4 landscape, and the whole thing bound by staples in the middle. If that's possible, I haven't worked out how yet, but printing so you get four pages per sheet and turn them over to read is simple enough (read the online manual, and tweak and save the printer settings to do it).

I am very happy with this machine so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2011 7:28 PM BST

Kaplan GRE Exam 2010: Premier Live Online (Kaplan Gre Exam Premier Live)
Kaplan GRE Exam 2010: Premier Live Online (Kaplan Gre Exam Premier Live)
by Kaplan

5.0 out of 5 stars Number 1 GRE resource, 4 Mar 2010
I had no experience with GRE or Kaplan before buying this book but came to think that of the several resources available for practice, this book plus the free 'powerprep' software from ETS were the best. I additionally bought the Kaplan math book (probably superfluous if you have this one, though the extra practice questions may be handy), the Kaplan box of flashcards of unusual words (pretty useful), and the Barron's book which was not bad (and would be considered as 'good' if there were no other resources) but which was not of the same quality (finish, printing, or the actual strategies presented either) as this Kaplan book. The 'Online' part is really quite useful - a personalised login to get some lessons, practice tests, and some full exam sessions that need to be done within a time limit and are scored like the real thing. It was useful to be able to access all that from any machine running a web browser (vs 'powerprep' which was great but needed to be installed from download or CD. powerprep also is a very old-fashioned windows app with settings that had to be tweaked to get it to run on a modern PC, and won't run on OS X if you're a Mac fan). I believe this book alone plus the included online resources would be sufficient for a sensible student to do well on the GRE. I felt very well prepared when I sat it and was pleased with my marks.

The Nightmare Man [DVD] [1981]
The Nightmare Man [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ James Warwick
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll get the axe., 24 Mar 2005
Let me be the first to review this DVD, without ever having seen it. I have put it on pre-order, so it's not completely illegitimate.
I walked around my house armed (as a child) because of this programme, and it has scared me ever since. The synopsis 'This drama centres on the arrival of a woman and the effect on the inhabitants of Inverdee' is not completely accurate. Something strange happens on an island off the coast of Scotland, there is a woman in it, and it is dramatic, true. This is a horror story of sorts, and we will probably find the better BBC production values of the 1980s when we get to see it again (this series has not been shown on TV for quite some time). I'm quite sure we'll find good actors and I plan to watch from behind my hands, if not the sofa exactly.