Profile for Lea Torn > Reviews

Lea Torn

Hot Prowl
Hot Prowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent page turner, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Hot Prowl (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the writing style and approach of the author very much. A fascinating read. five more words required - done!

Free Movies Now Pro
Free Movies Now Pro

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm., 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Free Movies Now Pro (App)
Not quite as many movies as I expected and doesn't really look like the screenshots - you don't get the movie poster, just the name.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 5 Sept. 2014
For the price this is unbeatable. It's also very well made with an all metal construction making it feel like a much more expensive product.

Berghaus Leviathan Holdall - Jet Black/Jet Black, 90 Litres
Berghaus Leviathan Holdall - Jet Black/Jet Black, 90 Litres

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of room., 11 July 2014
Great BIG bag. Very strong and well constructed. My (tall for his age) five year old can easily fit inside this (his idea not mine!) so there's plenty of room. I initially bought it thinking I might also use it as a gym bag but it's far too big for that - It's clearly designed for travel. The only weak point in my opinion is the zipped compartment at one end which is constructed of a different material and looks less protective / sturdy.

Infestissumam
Infestissumam

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly great, ruined by brickwall mastering, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Infestissumam (Audio CD)
Having liked the band since Opus came out I was looking forward to this release with mixed emotions. Would the major label and 'buzz band' status ruin it all? Mostly the answer is no although I don't think this release is as good as, or will have the longevity of Opus it has an immediate and very self aware commercial sound drenched in keyboards with a lot more pop sensibility than I would have expected. There are some very strong tracks here with some really nice retro touches and a nod towards the lush sounds and songwriting of many classic rock (and pop) bands. Opus was a lean, clean, simple rock album with absolutely no filler which certainly can't be said of Infestissumam. There is a major dip in the latter half (especially Body and Blood / Idolatrine) and some songs outstay their welcome just a little too long and are little too repetitive. On the whole it's a great listen but one which I can't see myself returning to as much as I did with Opus.

And now to my main gripe and the reason I've decided to write this review - the mastering. I've only heard the CD version which I own (UK version) and I have to say that on decent headphones this thing is practically unlistenable. It would seem that Ghost are another victim of the ridiculous loudness war which sees many modern releases destroyed by being pushed too far at the mastering stage. This one isn't as bad as the notorious Death Magnetic with much less clipping audible but the lower frequencies are pushed to the point of almost booming distortion at points. I won't listen to this on headphones again and as that's how I listen to most of my music it's a shame (I couldn't even get though the whole album with phones). This CD will now live in the glovebox of my car where the horrible mastering won't be as evident. A real shame because I think Ghost probably recorded a great sounding record before it was committed to CD - hopefully a remaster will appear down the line...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2013 1:07 PM BST