Profile for Mrs. N. J. Claxton > Reviews

Content by Mrs. N. J. Claxton

Mrs. N. J. Claxton "Mimi" (A Library Somewhere In England)

Page: 1 | 2
Every Woman For Herself
Every Woman For Herself
Price: 3.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel you will want to live inside, 23 Jun 2014
Although I am a huge fan of Trisha Ashley, particularly her Sticklepond series, I started this story with a tiny tremor of trepidation. A republication of an early novel, I was worried I would not like the style as much as since Wedding Tiers I have read them as they have been published, and got used to the evolution of her writing voice. This came about having read the sample chapter which was included at the end of a previous novel, and it did feel slightly different to her more current works.

How lovely it was to have all my fears allayed, as I loved the story and loved the writing, and had the bonus of seeing the seeds of future stories and styles captured in the book.

Once again, Trisha's description of life in a little Northern village made me want to be able to go and live there, and I love the idea of the Christmas mouse hunt. This is the thing that is so great about these novels, Trisha creates characters your are about, a world you want to live in, and a great story too.

The heroine Charlie is really likeable but doesn't believe in herself which is something I think a lot of people can identify with. The hero, Mace North is gloweringly broodingly handsome - in my head he looks like the actor Richard Armitage - and while you want Charlie and Mace to get together, you also want to pinch him for yourself!

The only ba dung about this is reaching the end!

Three Sisters (Emily Castles Short Mysteries Book 1)
Three Sisters (Emily Castles Short Mysteries Book 1)
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 May 2014
I really wanted to like this story, and bought it after it was advertised on my face book feed several times as an intelligent new crime heroine, quirky and interesting.

Unfortunately, I found the story to be unbelievable, the descriptions overwritten and a bit laboured, and found myself glad it was only a short story. I ended up reading it quite quickly to get to the end, as having paid for it I didn't want to not read it.

If you think you might like this series it is probably a good place to start, but unfortunately I won't be continuing the series.

Finding Mr Rochester
Finding Mr Rochester
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Find An Interrupted Hour To Enjoy This Scrumptious Short Story, 25 April 2014
I am a long standing Trisha Ashley fan, and was going to wait to download this short story, as I am expecting a short stay in hospital soon. I am not known for my patience though, and just couldn't wait, and I was not disappointed.

The descriptions of Eleri's visits to Yorkshire are so evocative they make me not only want to book a holiday there, but to hope for some rolling mists as well! This is the setting for a warm and cosy story of Eleri, a writer, and her discovery of an old journal which describes the man who was inspiration for Mr Rochester, and what happens next after she goes to investigate...

The only problem with reading on a kindle is that you are never completely sure how far through you are...so when the story ended at about 60% through I was initially a a bit disappointed, as I was really enjoying it and thought I had more to go! But this was more than made up for when I realised the rest of it were delicious sounding recipes that I can't wait to make, and an excerpt from Trisha's next novel.

So find a quiet hour, bake some scones, get the kettle on and settle down for a lovely read.

(And Trisha, if you are reading, it would be lovely to have anger to find out what happens to the brother please!)

Wish Upon a Star
Wish Upon a Star
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars If you wished on a star for a great read, this is the book for you!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wish Upon a Star (Paperback)
If I was to wish upon a star, I would wish that the village of Sticklepond and the surrounding villages were real, so that I could visit. So, when I read that this, Trisha's latest book would be one of the Sticklepond series, I was really pleased. If this is your first journey to Sticklepond then you are in for a treat, and if you have been before, then you are in for a treat because we get to catch up with some of our favourite old characters, and also meet some great new ones - Cally and her little girl Stella.

Stella's father was not interested in staying around for her birth, and Cally has raised her alone. While fundraising for life-saving surgery for her daughter, Cally goes back to stay with her own Mother in the village of Sticklepond where she overcomes a family secret to become part of the community.

A lovely heart-warming story, a hero to fall in love with, and delicious sounding cakes to make your tummy rumble, this book has the added bonus of some recipes at the back as a treat.

If you want a book to go to bed with a hot water bottle and a cup of tea and read start to finish in one go because you don't want to put it down, then this is the book for you!

Good Husband Material
Good Husband Material
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Meeting An Old Friend, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Good Husband Material (Paperback)
I discovered Trisha Ashley's novels with Wedding Tiers, which does remain my favourite - but what competition it has had from her other stories! I was really pleased when I heard that Good Husband Material, her first novel, was going to be republished, and I have not been disappointed.

All the ingredients I have come to love in a Trisha Ashley novel are there - a beautiful country setting, a hero to swoon for, and best of all, a heroine who is likeable, and you root for her - but not perfect.

What I found really interesting, as well as having the enjoyment of the story itself (and it is enjoyable, the kind that makes you late to bed as you want one more chapter, and makes your smile grow wider until your cheeks ache at the end) but seeing how much life has changed since 1999, when it was set (and written in 2000, I believe.)

No internet, mobile phones beeping every two minutes - a reminder how much life has changed in the last 15 years. Sometimes it is hard to remember that facebook, twitter and the like are really only very recent happenings.

As an extra treat, there are some recipes at the back of the book, which are featured in the story. I will certainly be whipping up some of them, as well as looking forward to collecting fallen leaves this autumn! And perhaps I will finally get round to starting the patchwork throw I have been meaning to make for years.

Because that is just the thing with a Trisha Ashley novel - you don't just get a great story, you get inspired to try out new ideas too.

The Vintage Tea Party Year
The Vintage Tea Party Year
by Angel Adoree
Price: 18.60

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cherry On Top!, 15 Oct 2012
I loved 'Vintage Tea Parties' by Angel Adoree, and was so excited when I heard that she was writing this follow up volume - and I was not at all disappointed!

Whereas the first book split the tea parties into times of day, (e.g. brunch, afternoon, evening) this one takes you throughout the year, with ideas for New Years tea parties for example. I did think about offering a 4 star review because the title is slightly misleading - I was expecting lots of the parties to be themed around the calendar year, for example Valentines, Easter, Halloween etc. However there is a general sprinkling of non-calendar specific chapters such as baby showers or a gentleman's tea...but to be honest, the ideas are amazing and have given me so much inspiration I felt like that was splitting hairs slightly.

This book really does have it all - wonderful ideas in abundance, recipes that make you want to tie your apron on at once, and so many little extras that make you feel like the book is a wonderful gift. The front cover has beautiful cut away detailing, the illustrations are lavish and there are lots of free photocopiable invitations and thank you notelets to use, lots of directions for how to put your hair up and get the look yourself, and a lovely bound-in ribbon book mark.

If you have been looking for an excuse to dust off your tea pot and become the hostess with the mostess, this is it!

Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues
Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Visit Sticklepond and Never Want To Leave!, 5 July 2012
When I want a well written novel that I know will leave me with a smile on my face and a warm feeling inside, then I reach for a Trisha Ashley novel, particularly one that is set in Sticklepond, like this one.

I always look forward to a new title from Trisha, and this one lived up to my expectations, as always.

The whimsically named Tansy is a really likeable character, the kind of person you could imagine having a coffee at your kitchen table with..although she might be too busy running her shoe shop to be able to stay long! With a fiance who doesn't seem to love her for who she is, family complications, and a handsome face-from-the-past living next door, Tansy has a lot going on in her world.

Once I started reading, I just didn't want to stop. It would be lovely if there was this kind of shoe shop near me!

Swept off Her Feet
Swept off Her Feet
by Hester Browne

4.0 out of 5 stars Be swept off your feet with this lovely Highland tale, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Swept off Her Feet (Paperback)
If you have read Hester Browne before then you will know just what to expect from this book, and you won't be disappointed. A heroine you can really relate to, lots of lovely little dtails, a good story and a happy ending. You can almost slip into this world yourself. Reading this made me really want to go to Scotland, and to learn some reels! Enjoy!

The Scarpetta Factor (Scarpetta Novels)
The Scarpetta Factor (Scarpetta Novels)
by Patricia Cornwell
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarpetta Is Getting Back On Form, 14 April 2010
Patricia Cornwell seems to have finally got shifting between past and present tenses and first and third person narrative out of her system, and this book is so much more readable than her recent titles in the Scarpetta series.

To my mind, the novels which introduced the Jean-Baptiste Chardonne character were where they started to go into a decline. With his reappearance in this novel, my heart sunk a little, but to my surprise, although not back to the wonderful days of Post Mortem, this book is far better than Scarpetta, Book of the Dead and other more recent titles.

I found it perplexing how nothing really happened for quite a long time in the book, and I wasn't really clear if Hannah Starr's disappearance or the murder of the jogger was meant to be the main part of the story, or if it was going to be Benton's stalker....sometimes, authors like Harlan Coben take seemingly disparate stories and weave them together wonderfully, but I felt more like Cornwell just couldn't decide which story line to pursue.

Even having said that though, this was a good read, and I look forward to the next book in the series. I used to read them in the hope they would stop getting worse, but now I am goign to be reading them glad they are getting back on form.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2010 10:47 PM BST

The Little Lady Agency and the Prince
The Little Lady Agency and the Prince
by Hester Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tale Ending For The Little Lady And Her Prince, 13 Feb 2008
This book was so delicious that it just makes me want to sigh. Why sigh? Because I found myself holding my breath at the end, to find out just who really is Melissa's...and Honey's Prince!

Melissa has a lot to juggle in this new outing....her landlord is selling her office, she is nipping backwards and forwards to Paris to spend time with Jonathan, organizing a christening, AND sorting out the clients of The Little Lady Agency....and that is before her glamourous gran calls in a very special favour...one that involves a very difficult prince.

I was swept away with Honey to Paris, to Claridges, to yacht.....and whose arms will Melissa be swept into at the end?

Page: 1 | 2