Profile for Dublinia > Reviews

Content by Dublinia

Dublinia (Dublin, Ireland)

Motorola Moto G 5-Inch (2nd Gen UK Stock) Dual Sim 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone Black - Discontinued by Manufacturer

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands out from the crowd !, 30 Jan. 2015
This phone did not meet my expectations, but it did exceed them. Fast processor, crystal clear perfect size screen, great speakers, really good battery life, dual SIM, expandable memory, a joy to hold--what more could one say ! At this price, it's a no brainer. Totally satisfied.

The Fast Diet Recipe Book: 150 Delicious, Calorie-controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy
by Mimi Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum for everyone, 18 July 2014
Great addition to any kitchen library shelf--absolutely not necessary to be dieting, to enjoy these recipes. Excellent in their own right !

One Summer: America 1927
One Summer: America 1927
by Bill Bryson

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting year-somewhat.., 18 July 2014
Really had to plough through this one-the only Bryson book that I've found a bit tedious. Maybe just overkill on American Baseball (which eventually I just skipped over-as I've absolutely no interest in the subject--so probably an unfair comment). I suppose he would have a deep interest in baseball--his dad having been a sports writer on that very subject In fairness though, the Aviation history chapters were very good.
One would get the impression that this book (unlike his others) is mainly pitched (forgive the pun) to an American audience.

Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country
Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country
by Bill Bryson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 July 2014
Enlightening and well researched--very enjoyable. I gave my copy to an acquaintance who was heading there on hols and never saw her, or the book again. Must have been as good as described and she decided to stay!

SPARES2GO Fan Blade and Motor Unit for Electrolux AEG Zanussi Tricity Bendix Oven / Cooker
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 18 July 2014
Quality, well made unit. Very quiet in operation and perfectly balanced fan with no vibration whatsoever--better than the original ever was. Fitted perfectly. Would definitely recommend.

Greenbrook T102-C 13A Electro-Mechanical 24hr Segement Immersion Heater Controller
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable mechanical timer, 18 July 2014
This item appeared to be very similar to a British made timer which gave me excellent service for the past 15 years or so, which I am only replacing because it accidentally got splattered with paint. It's almost identical to the previous timer, with the added improvement of a red light which glows when the power is 'actually' going to the immersion unit.
The older unit kept perfect time, was easy to operate and set- and never gave me any problems. So far the same can be said of this one, as it's installed a while now and works perfectly. Although it's mechanical rather than electronic, it's silent in operation. However if you put your ear real close, you'll hear a faint reassuring 'tick' letting you know all is well.
One small but fairly insignificant gripe--the outside dial time pointer doesn't tally with the small clock face hands( they differ by about 10 mins ) and there is no way to sync them as the clock face is behind a non removable plastic cover. It doesn't really bother me as I use the outside dial(24 hour) to set the time and the clock face (12 hour) though handy, seems slightly unnecessary.
Pleased with the purchase.

Norton Internet Security 2013 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2013 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 4 Jun. 2014
Fantastic value for 3 computers for I year. This works out at less than £9 per computer for total peace of mind, a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Although the "freebies" are very good these days, there's a certain comfort in a bought product, in that you can be sure nothing is being left out or withheld, until you part with some cash for full protection and features. Over the years, I have tried several of the top branded security suites which have come pre-installed on computers as trial programs but have always reverted to Norton.
Unlike some other security suites once purchased, there are no attempts to persuade you to try a different browser for instance, or upgrade to their latest "Triple AAA" product. They respect that you have enough grey matter to have made up your mind as to what your needs are and to have purchased accordingly.
The product is totally customiable? and leaves you in complete control as to which features you decide to activate or leave idle (and there is such an abundance of features, I just can't think of anything else I would want in a security suite). The interface is plain and simple and intuitive to operate, except for being a little dull in colour with Norton's choice of mustard yellow.
Finally, they deserve mention and top marks for their telephone support which is second to none. I have had occasion to need support (particularly recently with Windows 8 quirks) and you can be "secure" in the knowledge that it is fast(very), courteous, free, extremely helpful, and I have never had an issue which was not resolved to my total satisfaction.
Thus, 5 Star.

Matin M-6328 Small Size Goat Hair Dust Brush
Matin M-6328 Small Size Goat Hair Dust Brush

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 4 Jun. 2014
Well made, very good quality. The lipstick mechanism (nice and smooth) which retracts the bristles, protects them from being damaged when the cap is being replaced. Not too big nor bulky to work with--feels right. The goat hair is so soft, its hard to imagine it would ever damage a slide or negative when something more than just "air-force" is required. I keep it in my man-drawer in case it would find it's way into my opposite's make-up bag in an emergency, if the approving glances are anything to go by, when it arrived.

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH532 15.6-inch Laptop (black) - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)  4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, DVDRW SM, Intel HD graphics 4000, Intel Centrino N2230 802.11b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth v4.0, HD webcam, Windows 8 64-bit
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH532 15.6-inch Laptop (black) - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) 4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, DVDRW SM, Intel HD graphics 4000, Intel Centrino N2230 802.11b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth v4.0, HD webcam, Windows 8 64-bit

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value laptop, 30 Jun. 2013
This laptop has dropped £20 since I purchased it so it's even better value now. I looked around at different laptops in the retail world and this was the only one which didn't have a 'bouncy' keyboard at this price range (some of the well known brands are like trampolines). In fact this machine is top quality in terms of build- very solid and sturdy. I think I read in the manufacturers blurb somewhere that they described it as a 'business quality' laptop--that description would do it justice. So if you're looking for something that 'looks pretty'-then look elsewhere-the 'all black' doesn't bother me as I was looking for function rather than style.
Under the bonnet the spec is far ahead of anything else in this price range-3rd generation 3230 i5 (as compared to 2nd generation 3210 and there are still plenty of these around!). No less than three USB3 slots-impressive. An express card slot-very useful and adaptable - HDMI port etc. Spill resistant keyboard for when you might be driving a racing car at 200 mph around a corner while drinking a cup of coffee and at the same time checking your emails-though I haven't put this to the test yet.
Granted, 500 GB hard drive is becoming slightly dated these days but in relative terms it is more than adequate for most needs and can be expanded with any amount of external (all those USB3 slots will shine then). As at the time there was £60 off the manufacturers price (there's now £80 !) I purchased an extra 4GB memory (£29.99) and it just purrs nicely with 8 gig total.
Only slight gripe would be the screen-and I should emphasize 'slight'. I know the resolution is not as high as it could be but it's fine enough for me. I don't know whether its just a Windows 8 thing(which I'm beginning to like) or what-but I'm finding it difficult to adjust the balance between brightness and contrast. It may be just that I am used to looking at a much larger screen running from my desktop which is not as tiring on the eyes after several hours as this smaller screen is--so this criticism might be a bit unfair. This was the one area I didn't do my homework in beforehand(comparing screen resolutions on different laptops) and I'm not going to do it now as I don't want the possibility of planting a seed of disappointment in my head that I'll have to live with for the foreseeable future. Overall, I'm happy with the screen but if you're thinking of buying, it probably is an aspect which you should check out first.
So why is this machine such good value (relatively) ? My own opinion or theory would be the following. I think Fujitsu got it slightly wrong as to who they were pitching this laptop at. Its all black' business' colour will alienate a large section of the buying public and I would not be surprised if in the future they would manufacture a 'prettier' machine which would appeal to that sector.
Finally, my own opinion is that if you are looking for quality German/Japanese engineering, very good spec- and are not concerned with 'looks'-this laptop is excellent value for money. I was surprised, on delivery, to discover that it was actually manufactured in Germany and not China( which is unusual these days, to say the least) One extra observation-very little 'bloat-ware' with Fujitsu compared to others, which surprised me, refreshingly clean and free of all that. It demonstrates a very professional and thoughtful approach by Fujitsu towards their customers by not imposing that stuff on them.
I am very pleased with this purchase and no regrets.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 11:08 AM BST

Corsair CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9 NB Vengeance Performance 4GB 1600MHz CL DDR3 SO-DIMM Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for purpose, 30 Jun. 2013
Installed in Fujitsu AH 532 notebook to bring memory up to 8GB. Works fine- no problems. Would definitely recommend it.