Profile for Mr. S. Varnham > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Varnham

Mr. S. Varnham "Rock & Roller" (Leicester UK)

Pour Some Sugar On Me (2012)
Pour Some Sugar On Me (2012)
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original, 1 Jan 2013
Personally I prefer this newer version and I actually would like to see more bands update their old hits. Whitesnake's Here I Go Again USA radio remix is another example of an old track being bettered. It's a rarity that a band of Def Leppard's age still sounds as good now as they did 20 years ago, both in the studio and more impressively, live. Put simply - no band covers Def Leppard better than Def Leppard.

Good To Be Bad (Limited Edition Box) (2CD)
Good To Be Bad (Limited Edition Box) (2CD)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 11.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Good To Be Back!!, 26 April 2008
I picked this album up as I will be going to see Whitesnake/ Def Leppard in July. I think this is a great album on the whole, some of it is a little drab, but the good material that is on here are right up there with Whitesnake's best, standout tracks for me are: All I Want All I Need, Call On Me, Summer Rain and A Fool In Love. Well worth picking up just to hear these 4 tracks, some of the other stuff on it is decent material as well, really glad I bought it anyway. Classic Whitesnake, Classic Rock..

Lost Highway
Lost Highway
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this Town!!, 3 July 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
Some really great stuff on here and one of the best albums Bon Jovi have released in a while. I am not overly keen on some of the slower 'soppy' songs present on the album but the decent stuff in here more than makes up for it.. rock and roll with a country twist (in places). I personally think this has a little AOR influence in this album. Standout tracks are "Whole Lot Of Leaving", "I Love This Town", "Summertime", and "Any Other Day". Four brilliant brilliant songs, there are a few other songs on this album that are worth a mention - namely the title track and the first single from the album - I think these are decent efforts.. I think the rest of the album is pretty forgettable. Over all I think it's a solid album, must own for any Bon Jovi fan.

Sunstorm
Sunstorm
Price: 15.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sunstorm (Audio CD)
I bought this album at the same time as Mike Slamer's latest 'Nowhere Land'. I can safely say I think this is the better album. There are some absolutely brilliant songs on here. My favourite is probably 'Love's Gone Wrong' which is an up-tempo rocker straight out of the beverley hills cop films.. quality AOR. I think my only real gripe with this album is that there are a few too many slow songs present. And some of them just seem to sound very similar, not that they are badly written or poduced or anything. There are some great riffs present on the album, some fantastic vocals, not only the best I've heard from Joe Lynn Turner but some of the best I've heard from anyone in recent times. Well worth buying this album. Let's hope there will be a Sunstorm 2.

Nowhere Land
Nowhere Land

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 10 Oct 2006
This review is from: Nowhere Land (Audio CD)
Well I'll start off by saying I am a big Slamer fan. His work with Steelhouse Lane was fantastic and IMO achieved one of the great albums of all time with 'Slaves Of The New World'. His Seventh Key exploits were also pretty good so I was quite looking forward to his new works. I think this album is excellently produced [as can be expected from Slamer] the vocals are good, the guitars are great the overall sound is crisp but what disappoints me is the lack of real expert songwriting on this album. Audio Illusion is perhaps my favourite track off the album.I bought this at the same time as the 'Sunstorm featuring Joe Lynn Turner' CD album and can say right off the bat that I prefer that album by a country mile. In a word this new Slamer album is 'forgettable'.

Slaves Of The New World
Slaves Of The New World
Price: 15.33

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite albums of all time, 22 April 2006
This review is from: Slaves Of The New World (Audio CD)
I think this album is fantastic, I'm not over-reacting when I say there isn't a bad song or 'filler' on this album. There is a nice mix of songs and I will briefly mention a few of them. The first track 'Give It All To Me' is a bit of a hairmetal affair somewhat reminiscent of Warrant/Whitesnake. 'Find What We're Lookin' For' is a great rocker, I think this one draws a bit of influence from Boston with a bit of dual lead guitar work going on - uptempo song with a great solo and excellent bridge {as seems to be the main theme for alot of the songs on this album - there's nothing like a good hook and this album is full of them, you'll be singing them for ages like me). 'Son Of A Loaded Gun' is another nice song, as you might draw from the title it's a western themed type song, mellow verses but it really kicks in for the chorus, one thing that stands out to me in this song is a gorgeous lead guitar fill I think just after the first verse. 'All I Believe In' is quite possibly one of the greatest ballads of all time in my opinion, I'm not sure the introduction was a little overdone but everything else about this song is brilliant, screams passion, excellent lyrics, amazing backing/support vocals in the chorus and generally really well song, I think Keith Slack is quite the vocalist. 'The Nightmare Begins' is a cover of one of Streets old songs and is really good, for fans of Mike Slamer [Whom I might had, is one hell of a guitarist and producer] they will probably know this one, it seems a little heavier than Streets original to m and I'm not sure I prefer this or the original but never the less it is a great version of the song. 'In Too Deep' to me is very reminiscent of Van Halen, I don't quite know why, but this song has a killer bridge largely thanks to some excellent guitar riffery. 'Seven Seas' is another top ballad, more uptempo rock style than All I Believe In but has a chorus that you won't forget in a hurry.