Profile for Andrea Mcfarlane > Reviews

Content by Andrea Mcfarlane

Andrea Mcfarlane (Reading England)

Page: 1 | 2
Bravilor Bonamat Novo 2
Bravilor Bonamat Novo 2
Offered by PureGusto

3.0 out of 5 stars The first coffee maker to be delivered didn't work. ..., 26 Jan. 2015
The first coffee maker to be delivered didn't work. Once I finally spoke to a helpful person at Next Day Kitchen Supplies, it was replaced by a fully working product. It is a decent coffee making machine.

Burial Rites
Burial Rites

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Burial Rites (Kindle Edition)
A fascinating insight in to the last months of a condemned woman's life.How the truth unfolds is gripping. Highly recommended.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional journey, 22 Feb. 2014
A surprising novel. I had not expected to be taken on such an emotional journey. It took some time for me to care about Harold, perhaps because he did not care about himself. But in the end I found myself willing him on. A very unexpected ending. An excellent book.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fact so much stranger and more shocking than fiction, 2 Feb. 2014
This is incredible. A fascinating report of how vaccinations are developed using the cells of a terminally ill African American woman, without her consent. This book gives the reader an insight in to the processes used and at the same time the very human consequences for her descendants. It also gives a shocking insight in to the treatment of Black Americans and those with mental illness in relatively recent times. This book should be read by everyone who works within the medical field.

Catching Fire
Catching Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars A very compelling read, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Catching Fire (Kindle Edition)
I so enjoyed this book. I cannot wait to read the final part of the trilogy!
Amazing to think it was written for children.

The End of Your Life Book Club
The End of Your Life Book Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, 17 Oct. 2013
I enjoyed this. I was interested to learn about all of the different books, but I could also relate to the relationship and trying to make the most of the time left at the end. A very emotional ending.

The Slap
The Slap

1.0 out of 5 stars Very annoying, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Slap (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely hated this book from start to finish. The language is gratuitously crude, drug taking is glorified, and the end did not conclude the story. My apologies to my book club for having chosen it!!

Wonder
Wonder

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, I would like my children to read it., 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wonder (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable read, simply written, a good one for a younger audience. I liked how it was written from different perspectives.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

3.0 out of 5 stars W, 15 Jan. 2013
I still have not worked out who he was writing to! A good read, probably most suitable as a teen read

Love You Mum
Love You Mum
by Gillian Christine Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifeline for career girls having a baby, 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Love You Mum (Paperback)
Finally a book that focuses on the Mum and not all the things that she is doing wrong. Having a busy demanding career I thought that having children would be 'time off' for a few years. I could not have been further from the trueth. Feeling out of control, that everyone else was doing a better job of raising their children than me, and that I no longer mattered led me to a nasty bout of depression. A few hours spent reading this little treasure would have helped to stop me going down that road. Campbell shows you how to stop and take stock of where you are and where you want to be and by following what she sums up as 'The Trueth' how to accept yourself as the Mum that you are and to move forward without self reproach. I would definately recommend this to those women who are taking a career break to have a family. Top marks!
Andrea McFarlane