Profile for Mr. Richard Marris > Reviews

Content by Mr. Richard Marris

Mr. Richard Marris "richardmarris" (UK)

The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighbourhood
The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighbourhood

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic and moving piece of journalism., 28 Jun. 2015
This is perhaps the greatest piece of investigative reporting ever undertaken. Clear eyed yet compassionate, it should be read by anyone involved in law enforcement or politics.

Guitar Amps and Effects For Dummies
Guitar Amps and Effects For Dummies

5.0 out of 5 stars The lowdown for the highly strung, 14 Oct. 2014
In the past For Dummies has taught me about XML, HTML, SQL and Client Server architectures, among many other things (including Buddhism). All this (except perhaps the Buddhism) has earned me a fair bit of cash so it seemed a good idea to get a Dummies Book to help me spend it on upgrading my noise.
I’ve been playing guitar and writing songs for 33 years. As such, I consider myself a delicate and highly-strung artiste. Frankly, it’s not my job to worry about tubes and germanium transistors. The author obviously does worry about these things. He’s bought, soldered and cranked the life out of them. Now I can read a few well-written, concise paragraphs and do the same (apart from the soldering. I’m an artiste, remember).
And after all the techie stuff you get a really entertaining section on rigs, tones and the men who made them. Did you know Dick Dale wasn’t originally a reverb fan? Tremelo was the way to go for surf, in his opinion. His reverb phase came later; remember Misirlou? I listened to Let’s Go Trippin’ again; dry as a bone. Here’s a man who definitely knows his subject.

Bouncy Balls
Bouncy Balls

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S QUITE GOOD, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Bouncy Balls (Toy)
I was pleased with the price and the quality of this product the only thing I would say is I think thay nead to put a little bit more powder in the kit,the balls are a little bit squidgy and not as bouncy as you would expect. I was also a bit disapointed when my powder started to go, but I made 1 big ball and 2 small balls.
But over all I think this is a money well spent kit and a great load of fun playing and making them. (by L aged 13)

by Dave Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars sound affects, 21 Sept. 2004
I always thought Eddie Van Halen got his killer sound by putting
stripes on his guitar. Now I find he used a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. It's a bit upsetting as I sold the one I had to my brother for £15. Now he knows and the tight little bugger wants £100 for it.
Unfortunately for him he's only read chapter 1 of this great book and I've read it all. Once he's got as far as me he'll know enough to buy a pedal that'll blow Dave Lee Roth's flares off.

Dave Hunter's enough of a valve head to to satisfy anyone with a
soldering iron and an oscilloscope while putting it all in enough entertaining musical context to keep a lightweight like me - who doesn't even like changing his strings - happy.
Whether you want to crank your valves or flange youreslef into oblivion there'll be something here for you. The best guitar gear book I've ever read.

by Dave Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound affects, 21 Sept. 2004
I always thought Eddie Van Halen got his killer sound by putting

Dave Hunter's enough of a valve head to to satisfy anyone with a
Covering all types of effects from simply cranking your amp to flanging yourself into oblivion this is the best book on guitar gear I've ever come across.

Bali
Bali
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Crowded House meets The Monkees, 9 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Bali (Audio CD)
Wonderful tunes in clever arrangements from a aband who live up to all the promise that being Brian Wilson's backing band implies.