ARRAY(0x99bda9f0)

Profile for Caracal > Reviews

Content by Caracal

Caracal (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Silver)
AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Silver)
Offered by Saverschoice UK
Price: 12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great (if harsh) sharpener, 1 Dec 2013
As other people have mentioned, this is a great knife sharpener but also quite a harsh one.

I personally use the AnySharp to restore my knives edges, but then I continue to use a steel to hone the blades, resulting in a "cleaner" edge.

The suction cup is a great idea and makes the sharpening process simple and safe. The fact that the sharpener is minuscule is also a bonus because I can just chuck it in the drawer and forget about it.

Recommended (just use a light touch and don't over-do it!)

Ring Cyba-Lite Vega Led Lantern - Black/Grey
Ring Cyba-Lite Vega Led Lantern - Black/Grey
Price: 21.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy little lantern, 1 Dec 2013
My only concern with this lantern was that it was going to be a bit cheap and plasticy... thankfully, upon unboxing, my worries were put to rest!

This lantern, despite being plastic, feels very solid and has a rubberised feel to it. Certainly doesn't feel delicate in any way.

Gives of a decent amount of light, so overall I'm happy! I'll be storing it in my utility room for emergencies.

RINGKE FUSION Apple iPhone 5S Case Bumper [BLACK] Best Selling Shock Absorption Bumper + Anti Scratch Clear Back Premium Hybrid Case for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S [Eco/DIY Package]
Offered by Rearth UK
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality case, 1 Dec 2013
I was after a case that met the criteria of:

1) Doesn't look cheap and tacky
2) Doesn't add much bulk to my iPhone
3) Doesn't in any way impede the use of the phone (awkward button presses, distorted photos etc)

I'm happy to say that this case meets all three requirements easily!

If you're looking for a very slim, subtle-looking case for your iPhone 5/5s - I highly recommend this.

OXO Good Grips POP Container Square, Large, 5.2 Litre
OXO Good Grips POP Container Square, Large, 5.2 Litre
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home made bread, 1 Dec 2013
I've already got lots of these Good Grips containers, so I already knew what to expect quality-wise. What I was after, was the correct sized container for storing my freshly baked breadmaker bread.

I use a Panasonic bread maker and medium sized loaves fit into these perfectly (you could probably stack two on top of each other if you were that way inclined). "Taller" breads (i.e. the French Bread recipe) come out too tall and as a result, won't fit into this 5.2L version (unless you ate about a 1/3 before hand - in which case I think you could slide it in!)

Recommended!

Kitchen Craft Anodised Mini Pudding Moulds 7.5cm- set of four
Kitchen Craft Anodised Mini Pudding Moulds 7.5cm- set of four
Price: 8.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little pudding moulds, 1 Dec 2013
I've used this to make mini Christmas Puddings this year and they've worked a treat! The only vaguely negative things I have to say about them (hence 4/5) is that when you stack them, they can become pretty hard to separate (and as a result they mark quite easily).

If you're looking to make any mini versions of classic British puddings (or even just something to use as a mould for presenting things like rice etc) I'd recommend these.

Aluminium Ice / Sweet Scoop 5oz - Ideal for Candy / Sweet Bars at Weddings
Aluminium Ice / Sweet Scoop 5oz - Ideal for Candy / Sweet Bars at Weddings
Offered by Ritchies007
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed, 17 Nov 2013
I bought this scoop as it looked like it was really decent quality (in the photo). However, unfortunately, my scoop is visibly tarnished (black marks over it) and has other finish "defects" (there's a lump sticking out in the scoop itself and the handle has teeth marks, where it looks like the handle was machine cut.

I'll relegate this to the flour container - I certainly wouldn't want to use it in the ice-bucket... or anywhere where someone can see it!

Breville Brushed Stainless Steel Brita Filter Kettle with Spectra Illumination
Breville Brushed Stainless Steel Brita Filter Kettle with Spectra Illumination
Price: 44.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Really NOT recommended..., 4 Nov 2013
I bought this kettle to replace my older model, which sprung a leak..... whatt-a mistake-a to make-a!

Not only is this model a lot smaller, it also manages to produce a "lovely" plastic scented drink... every time!

Other points that didn't impress me:

- The pretty lights (which, let's be honest, is the main selling point of this kettle!) automatically turn off after a set period of time. Petty perhaps, but I liked fact that my previous model kept my kitchen lit up with a funky glow.
- Capacity. Perhaps my fault for not thoroughly checking the specs, but as this model looks the same as the older one, I assumed it was the same capacity. However it's a lot smaller

The nail in the coffin for me, was the fact that it can't even pour without splashing hot water everywhere (unless you maybe pour at about 1 ml per hour...).

Overall, if you like plastic smelling hot water splashed over your counter tops (In darkness, I might add), then buy this kettle!

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 4 Slice, 1900 Watt
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 4 Slice, 1900 Watt
Price: 153.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Toasty!, 4 Nov 2013
I won't repeat what's already been said, so here's my brief list of pros "neutral points" and cons:

Pros:
- Independently controlled slots (two pairs) which means you can toast different items at once, or leave them pre-set to however you like.
- Wide slots. If you love your doorsteps then this toaster will amply accommodate your extra girth!
- Countdown. If you're impatient like me, you'll appreciate the countdown LEDs at the front which show you how long you'll have to wait before you can cram deliciously toasted delights into your impatient face.
- Even toasting. So far, everything I've toasted has come out really evenly. Hopefully this won't change over time....

"Neutral" points:
- "A little bit more". Handy, but I think once you've got the timings right, you won't really use this feature much (unless you frequently use different types of bread).
- Quick look. Same as above. It's a handy feature, but once you've got the timings spot-on for your usual breads, you won't really need to check on it.

Cons:
- Size. The toaster is quite deep, which meant I had to re-arrange my counter tops so it wasn't wasting too much space (it's now angled in the corner). Something to bear in mind I guess.
- Odd shaped bread. I'm not sure if I've seen this mentioned anywhere else (perhaps it's just me being picky?) but a bog-standard slice of factory bread won't fit vertically, you have to lay it on its side. For those of you who have bread makers, this "may" be an issue if you bake XL loaves (which result in tall slices). I've not had a chance to test this yet, but I have recently bought a Panasonic bread maker, so I guess I'll find out soon enough!
- Price? There's no mistaking that this is a premium priced toaster.... I shall be expecting toasted perfection for many years to come!

Overall, being a bit of a breakfast fiend, I think I can justify the extra money I threw at this toaster. If you're perhaps a more casual breakfast eater and have limited counter-top space, your hard earned cash might be better spent on a lesser-model (maybe the 2 slot model!)

Ice cube Tray Suare3.7x3.2cm each Tray 33x18cm 100%silicone Guaranteed quality
Ice cube Tray Suare3.7x3.2cm each Tray 33x18cm 100%silicone Guaranteed quality
Offered by cookware company
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a silicone tray which isn't rubber!, 4 Nov 2013
I previously bought an ice-cube tray which looks virtually identical to this tray (which was also advertised as silicone), however it turned out to be rubber... which meant:

1) It permanently stank and produced ice-cubes that had a "lovely" rubbery aftertaste
2) Got totally destroyed when I put it in the dishwasher!

Thankfully, I can confirm that this tray is silicone and doesn't suffer from the aforementioned issues!

Recommended!

BRITA Elemaris Meter XL White Water Filter Jug
BRITA Elemaris Meter XL White Water Filter Jug
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent capacity filter jug, 4 Nov 2013
I went for this XL model as I tend to make lots of hot drinks at once and i'm glad I did.

The spring-loaded filling hole at the top is handy and mess-free (something that annoyed me about the previous, smaller, model I had, was that I had to constantly take the lid off every time I wanted to top it up).

Someone previously mentioned that the just drips water from the handle... I noticed this the first time I filled it, but the simple solution to that is: don't overfill it!

If you have a "higher than average" (?) demand for filtered water, I'd recommend this larger capacity jug without a doubt.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9