Profile for Phillygirl > Reviews

Reeves - Deluxe Water Colour set
Reeves - Deluxe Water Colour set
Offered by Key Range

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watercolour set, 28 April 2013
I purchased this watercolour paint set as a present for my mother in law who actively paints in the watercolour medium. She loves this set and commented that it was very high quality compared to many other sets she has had in the past. The set arrived within two days of ordering and the box is a nice light wood. It's highly recommended to any budding artists.

Brady Bunch: Complete Third Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Brady Bunch: Complete Third Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic season of the Brady Bunch, 28 April 2013
This particular season of the Brady Bunch is not available yet on region 2 or European versions. So, in order to view this, one must have a multi region DVD/blu-ray player. As the previous two seasons, the Brady family continue to face various challenges and have adventures that only the Brady family could have in TV world. Obviously, in 2013, this show seems fantastical. Even in the late sixties and early seventies the Brady family seemed to live in a dream world but this show continues to have a place in the television sitcom canon. Regardless of its "cheesiness" the Brady family still represent that family we all wish we could have had as kids....undivided attention from loving parents, siblings that get along and every problem solved no matter what. And yes, this show takes criticism for not ever having addressed properly the issues of its day (such as the Vietnam war) but I think that's the point in a way. What we all need desperately sometimes from television and movies is an escape and the Brady Bunch served as that during the sixties and it continues to do so now. I'm not at all embarrassed to say I love this show and this family and I wasn't even born yet when it first aired. Buy the Brady Bunch DVDs, you'll love them too.

Jacob's Ladder [DVD]
Jacob's Ladder [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Robbins
Offered by Leisurezone

4.0 out of 5 stars Philosophical and supernatural take on war, life, family and death, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Jacob's Ladder [DVD] (DVD)
The title of this movie, Jacob's Ladder, references the bible story of the same name. In the bible story, Jacob is on the run having angered his brother Esau for stealing his birthright. He stops to rest one night laying his head on a rock and while asleep dreams/envisions angels ascending and descending a ladder connecting earth to heaven. Above the ladder is God who reassures Jacob, that despite the mistakes he's made in life, God will bless him and his children and always be with him. In the movie, set a few years after the end of the Vietnam war, the main character, Jacob, portrayed superbly by Tim Robbins, is dealing with the traumas he has experienced while serving in the US military and the trauma of separation from his wife and the death of his son. The movie begins with "normal" life of his job as a mailman and living with his girlfriend. As time passes, unnatural occurrences take place. With increasing frequency and more violent imagery, his dreams and waking visions take over his life. These visions, as the movie continues, enlighten the viewer about what really has happened to Jacob and his military comrades years before. Without giving away anything further about the plot for those who haven't seen the movie yet, the "ladder" represents many things, connection between heaven and hell, life and death, the journey of life itself. What do our lives mean? What happens when we die? The last scene of the movie, for me, is the ladder for this particular Jacob, and it's a beautiful scene, with the light streaming in onto the wood staircase in the house.....Some may feel that twenty years later this movie is "dated" and not executed as well as it could have been but I feel it's a unique vision of a man's experience in the aftermath of military and family catastrophe.

Cat & Kitten Pop up Play Cube ORANGE
Cat & Kitten Pop up Play Cube ORANGE
Offered by Pandacat Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars All four of our cats love them, 8 Mar. 2013
We have four rescue cats, one is half Bengal. They all love these cubes and have spent hours playing, tumbling, and sleeping in them. So far I've bought two and they have shared them quite well. After several months, they are still intact and holding up to four cats using them. The fabric and structure is sturdy but very flexible and so far there have been no rips or other damage no matter how rough my cats play! To keep them interested, I don't leave the cubes out all the time. But once they get going with them its hard to take them away! Great buy.

The Likely Lads Collection (6 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD]
The Likely Lads Collection (6 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Bolam

5.0 out of 5 stars 1970s BBC comedy series that 40 years later is still extremely funny and applicable to present day societal issues, 8 Mar. 2013
Having grown up in America, I had never seen The Likely Lads until buying this DVD box set a couple months ago on the recommendation of my English husband. He wanted to revisit a television series he remembered from his elementary school days (specifically the later series that aired in the 70s) and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I absolutely love this collection, particularly the later shows in colour. It's amazing how relevant the financial, personal, political and societal issues, that are covered in this series, are to today's same problems/issues in Britain! (I've lived in Britain since university). Even though the show primarily revolves around these two close friends and their conversations...it's never boring. I like the contrast between the two and the comedic tension it causes in their relationship(s). They both represent varying aspects and opinions of British society: one aspires to middle class life and all it's trappings while the other firmly holds onto his working class ideals and "old" Labour Party sentiments.....and they take the "mick" out of each for it and it's hilarious...self effacing English wit and humour at its best! I had never heard of these actors before...they're fantastic! I've watched the DVDs twice already! This particular set has all the series. Buy it, you won't regret it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 1:27 AM BST

The Brady Bunch: Season 2 [DVD]
The Brady Bunch: Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Florence Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brady Bunch series two for Europe region viewing, 20 Jan. 2013
As a USA expatriate living in England it was great to be able to purchase the second series of the Brady Bunch in region 2 for normal DVD player viewing. The original series aired on American television years before I was born but I did grow up watching reruns of all the series and haven't seen them since I left the USA after university in the late nineties so for purely sentimental reasons its fantastic to see these episodes again....of course already knowing most of them by heart! The DVD itself arrived promptly and in perfect condition. All episodes of the second series are here as well as some extras. The quality is good but I am viewing these discs on my blue-ray player so maybe that's improving it....but certainly I have no complaints about the quality of the DVD.

Wizards and Witches
Wizards and Witches
by Witchcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent work concerning myths and legends of european paganism primarily witches and wizards, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wizards and Witches (Hardcover)
Received promptly from seller and in excellent condition considering it was published in 1991 this edition therefore twenty years old but like brand new. The enchanted world Time-Life series first published in 1984 produced several volumes of lovely hardback books concerning various topics from European legend, myth, folklore, literature and some stories based in historical fact. What sets these volumes apart is certainly the paintings and illustrations: some original and some reproduced famous works of art. Also, the actual text is obviously written by a group of scholars skilled in the subjects covered. For me, there was a personal reason for buying some of these volumes from this amazon seller in Britain: I had originally bought and owned, with the help of my now deceased father, the original set but had to leave them behind in USA when I left home never to see them again. And it's for sentimental reasons I am happy to own this book again as it was the first one I had bought when just twelve years old. It's exactly as I remember it: the text presented in story format...easily but thoroughly explained...in detail and accompanied by beautiful illustrations. A good start that could lead any reader to more thorough research of these topics not only by sparking one's interest in said topics but by utilising the thorough bibliography at the end of the text. Great memories from reading this...I hope to track down and buy the rest of the volumes one day.