Profile for Amandine > Reviews

How Easy Is That?
How Easy Is That?
by Ina Garten

4.0 out of 5 stars It really does look easy!, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: How Easy Is That? (Hardcover)
First - not actually about the content of the book, I must say that the front bottom corner of the cover of this hardback was a bit ruched up and snubbed which I take it is due to the way Amazon pack their books - not the first I have received damaged from you and I do expect a 'new' book to look 'new'.

To the book itself: This is the first of Ina Garten's books I have purchased. As there is no opportunity for you to 'look inside' this book online and I don't usually buy a book 'unseen', I will say that it is divided into sections of Cocktails, starters, lunch, dinner, vegetables and desserts. Whilst there wouldn't be room to list all the recipes here but in an effort to give you some idea whether they may be things you think you will like, there are recipies for 'tuna & hummus sandwich' 'ultimate grilled cheese' (toasted cheese sandwich to you and me) 'tarragon potato salad', 'roasted vegetable frittata', 'lobster and shells', 'lemon chicken breasts' (which I will be making), 'chicken with shallots', 'greek lamb with yoghurt mint sauce', 'roasted shrimp with feta', 'roasted salmon with green herbs', 'garlic roasted cauliflower', 'chocolate pudding cream tart', 'strawberry rhubarb crisp', 'italian plum tart', and 'rum raisin tiramisu'. I hope that has whetted your appetite! The recipes look clear and not too difficult or overly 'cheffy' so you won't feel put off having a go at making things, and if you are a lover of Ina's programmes and her friendly easy style you will probably like this book.

Traiveller's Joy
Traiveller's Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars Something new, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Traiveller's Joy (Audio CD)
I totally agree with the reviewer who spoke of the crystal clarity of Emily Smith's voice. I found this CD quite by accident, and instantly when I heard the samples on line I knew that it was a CD I wanted to listen to in its entirety. I am not disappointed. I love the tracks 'Dreams and Lullabies', 'Take you Home' and 'Somewhere Along the Road'. How many other artists have the courage to sing a cappella as Emily does on 'What a voice'? There's no place to hide when you do that, you can either do it or you can't - and she can. This is no feeble voice, it's rich and clear and it's been a total pleasure to be introduced to something new.

White Stone, Black Wine: Life Among the Ancient Vineyards of the Quercy Blanc
White Stone, Black Wine: Life Among the Ancient Vineyards of the Quercy Blanc
by Amanda Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I had expected, 7 Mar 2011
Having read online the opening few pages of this book, I had high hopes that as a reader I would feel welcomed into a look at family life with a British family living in the Quercy, a region of France with which I am not familiar. A lot of the book is about going to the market and making various dinners or attending the local repas, which could be interesting to someone who has never experienced this, and there is a bit of a history lesson about Eleanor of Aquitaine; however I wanted to feel lost in this book, as if I were actually there, experiencing the scorching Summer or enjoying a coffee with her or an apero on the terrace. I didn't feel that the book made the reader feel that welcome. Amanda Lawrence constantly refers to her husband as 'the beloved' which after a while I found became a little annoying. It's not a bad book, but for me somehow that certain something which pulls you in and makes you want to turn to the next page with eager anticipation was missing. When I had finished it I didn't feel 'Well that was a cracking read' I just felt 'Oh well, that's another one read'. If you are looking for books about living in France which are both entertaining and have an easy style, then I would suggest Karen Wheeler, 'Toute Suite' and 'Toute Allure', both of which I found unputdownable.

Tenor
Tenor
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Chukka, Chukka, Chukka!, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
Until I watched Pop Star to Opera Star I had no idea who Rolando Villazon was. I was completely blown away after I heard him sing on the show and immediately searched Amazon for his new CD. This man sings amazingly. He sings with the whole of his being and is totally believable when he says he tries to sing as if it was the most important performance of his life. There are some favourites on this CD, the ubiquitous O sole mio and La donne e mobile for example, but also some that were not familiar to me. I would usually buy a CD of a good soprano so it was a surprise to me that I chose this. I don't think you will be disappointed. This man has presence and power in the beautiful tone of his voice. I hope you enjoy the CD as much as I do. As Rolando would say (I have probably mis-spelled this) another Chukka, chukka chukka performance.

Crabtree & Evelyn Summer Hill Essentials Toiletries Gift Set
Crabtree & Evelyn Summer Hill Essentials Toiletries Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classy Gift, 9 Jan 2010
I purchased two of these Crabtree and Evelyn Gift Sets as gifts for friends. I do not think that my friends will be disappointed when they unwrap their gift, as these sets are beautifully presented in a zip up cosmetic case with a an outer fabric with a design that smacks of William Morris/Liberty style. They have a separate inner pink lining and even the little zipper tabs are nicely made, and not at all cheap looking. The cosmetics are well presented with the hand cream being in a prettily designed tube, and packaged separately within the bag. In my opinion, Crabtree and Evelyn have always been synonymous with quality toiletries and I may well order from this range again for other friends' birthdays. Very pleased with my purchase.

The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love and Olive Oil in the South of France
The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love and Olive Oil in the South of France
by Carol Drinkwater

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a look, 9 Jan 2010
I purchased this after I 'looked inside the book'. I was not disappointed. Thank you Carol for this lovely book and for allowing us to share with you some of your experiences at Appassionata, your wonderfully named olive farm. Carol Drinkwater has the ability to make you feel like you know the people she refers to; you start to care about them, as if you were an invited guest. You can almost feel the sun shining down on your back as you walk with her through the seasons of the year. As someone who lives in France, it was easy for me to relate to the convivial French way of life she describes; I also enjoyed learning a little about the making of olive oil. This book left me with a 'feel good' factor and I was sad to be 'leaving my visit' to Appassionata. I loved the book and its easy style and will be buying the sequel.

Coco Chanel: A Biography (Bloomsbury Lives of Women)
Coco Chanel: A Biography (Bloomsbury Lives of Women)
by Axel Madsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Mlle Chanel, 24 Nov 2009
They say it is better to be born lucky than rich. After an inauspicious start, Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel (what a beautiful name) found herself in the right place at the right time. Through her strength of character - for she certainly was a survivor - and her own skill and uncompromising attitude to fashion and life generally, she made it to the top of her profession.
Names you will recognise and some you may not, trip easily from the pages. I found the description of the war years particularly interesting. The author clearly has researched this book very well. He gives 27 pages of notes on sources and another six for the bibliography. The photographs are very much an added bonus. There seem to be one or two small proof reading errors e.g. Page 290, Pierre Wertheimer's Derby winner is stated as "Lavandin" whereas the photograph caption states "Lanvin". Unless his horses won more than once (I am not a racing expert) this would seem to be an error. However, don't let this put you off as Axel Madsen has done a fabulous job and I enjoyed the book very much.

First Past the Post DVD Game
First Past the Post DVD Game

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for a while, 12 Nov 2009
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: First Past the Post DVD Game (Toy)
I purchased this thinking it would be a fun piece of after dinner entertainment. Initially I thought I was pleased with it but soon changed my mind. In principal the idea is good but I found there were some problems. Basically you bet on horses or greyhounds and are offered the choice of which horse/greyhound you want to choose. However I found that after a few games it appeared to be offering me names of horses that were not even running in that race. I would like to have been able to recommend this but don't feel I can. It is now in a cupboard somewhere and unlikely to see the light of day. Disappointing purchase of something which could have been very good.

The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Saints: An Authoritative Guide to the Lives and Works of Over 500 Saints, with Expert Commentary and Over 500 Beautiful Painting, Statues and Icons
by Tessa Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars For all the saints., 12 Nov 2009
I purchased this book as a present for my sister - in fact I purchased two. A lovely book, printed on quality shiny paper and beautifully illustrated. This is the type of book one can pick up and browse through. Just a word of warning, if you are thinking of posting it to someone it is quite heavy, however, don't let that put you off, it is a quality book and I am very pleased with the purchase.

Complete Mission Praise: Words edition
Complete Mission Praise: Words edition
by Peter Horrobin

4.0 out of 5 stars A big sing., 12 Nov 2009
This is a whopper of a book. There were several hymns that I was not familiar with and many old favourites. The music is fairly straightforward and not too daunting, so you would not need to be a concert pianist to play them. That said, I can see that this would be very suitable for an organist or pianist. I bought it for my own use at home and am pleased with the purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2010 1:33 PM BST