Profile for Karen > Reviews

Content by Karen

Karen (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Buckle and Squash and the Monstrous Moat-Dragon (Buckle & Squash 1)
Buckle and Squash and the Monstrous Moat-Dragon (Buckle & Squash 1)
by Sarah Courtauld

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 July 2014
Hilarious and fun and absolutely fantastic!

Siege
Siege
by Sarah Mussi

5.0 out of 5 stars best book I've read all year, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Siege (Hardcover)
Every once in a while, you enter the pages of a book and the rest of the world disappears. All you can do is turn the page, desperate to find out what happens next, heart in your throat, your whole body tense with anticipation and maybe a bit of dread - and always the story and characters driving you on, pulling you in. It's a magical feeling, to be so engrossed in the world of a book that nothing else matters for the (too short) space of time you are reading it.

Siege is that type of book.

It is also very hard to describe without being completely spoilery - part of the beauty of Siege is you never know what will happen next, and I don't want to ruin that. But what you need to know is:

*Leah, the main character, is both believable and incredibly badass, resourceful and loyal.

*The world of Siege is one that is all too plausible...I jokingly describe it as 'if the Tories were in power for the next 10 years", but maybe that's not quite a joke.

*And finally, the pace of this novel is more intense than almost anything I've ever read. The novel takes place over the span of only a few hours, but the intensity keeps up the whole time.

Truly Siege is one of the most superb YA books I have ever read. Read it.

Torn
Torn

5.0 out of 5 stars she always makes me cry, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Torn (Kindle Edition)
Ok the title might be a bit of a hyperbole since she's only written two books, but both entangled and Torn made me sob against my better judgement. Torn is excellent - a gripping read, with a suspenseful mystery at its core. Towards the end I knew what was coming, but it was a bit like watching a car crash. I couldn't look away. Can't wait for her next book!

1920s Fashion (Historical Sticker Dolly Dressing) (Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing)
by Emily Bone

5.0 out of 5 stars I know I'm too old for this, but..., 25 Oct 2012
So I got this to do with my niece but ended up completing it long before she came to visit. I know, I know, it's ridiculous, this is clearly meant for children (though I do think older girls will really enjoy it) but what can I say. I'm still a kid at heart I guess!!

These Historical Sticker Dolly Dressing are clearly meant for a slightly older audience, as the stickers are more detailed and the directions slightly more complex. I absolutely loved putting together some of the dresses in hear from several different stickers that fit together perfectly.

And also a word about the art - it is spectacular. Just phenomenal. I reminded me of paper dolls I had as a kid, but with art that could have actually come from the 20s.

Just an absolutely wonderful book, and I got another one to do with my niece (10) who enjoyed it just as much as me!

Slated (Slated Trilogy)
Slated (Slated Trilogy)
by Teri Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, thought-provoking YA distopia, 31 May 2012
Slated in my opinion is a much more worthy successor to the Hunger Games audience than all those books cluttering the shelves that claim on their covers, 'if you loved the hunger games...' and ripping off the premise or the world of Suzanne Collins' novels.

Slated, on the other hand, takes place in a very different world, a world much like a nearby fractured future of our own. Kyla can't remember her past, or what crime she committed that led to her slating, a process designed to give criminals a second chance by wiping their memories and their personalities and letting them start over with a blank slate. Yet there is something different about Kyla, something that differentiates her from the other Slateds around her. That makes her sad and anxious when they are happy, that lets her get angry when she should be placid.

This world is full of traps and pitfalls for a Slated who isn't quite right, doesn't quite conform, and Kyla is desperate to avoid them. But nothing is as it seems, and as Kyla tries to play by the rules, she finds herself in more and more trouble. Could she be remembering something of her past? That should be impossible. Or is something even more disturbing going on?

I really enjoyed Kyla as a narrator, despite/because of al her faults and confusions. Learning about this world through the eyes of someone who's got about as much experience and knowledge as an infant works brilliantly for the narrative as well as for the development of Kyla's character. In some ways the book reminded me a lot of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, and the crucial question it posed: who are we, as people, if not the sum of our memories and experiences? Is there some inherent 'us' that shines through, not matter what?

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good story about identity, regimented distopian societies, keen science fiction readers - just about anyone, really. Read on...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 1:53 AM BST

Belle & Boo and the Birthday Surprise
Belle & Boo and the Birthday Surprise
by Mandy Sutcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word, lovely, 14 May 2012
What a sweet, beautiful story. Nostalgic in the very best way, and so beautifully illustrated! Everyone loves this one, from the littlest to the grandparents!

The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
by Kody Keplinger

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe the author was 18 when she wrote this, 23 April 2012
I picked this up because of the cover and title - I guess everyone has felt like the DUFF at some point in their lives. I was immediately sucked in completely - the story is good, but it's really the main character Bianca who stands out for me. Possibly the most realistic high school character I've ever read, which I suppose makes sense since the author was a teenager herself when she wrote it! I still can't get over the level of perception and self awareness Kody Keplinger had at 18, to be able to write a book like this.

The romance is brilliant as well, managing to make the whole bad boy romance feel new and different. It reminded me a bit of the movie Friends with Benefits, except it was more like Enemies with Benefits!

Overall a great read, and Keplinger is now on my list of favorite new authors!

Entangled
Entangled

5.0 out of 5 stars So excellent!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Entangled (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book - just wonderfully written, with very real characters I remember from my own high school days (not THAT long ago...). Definitely worth reading.

The Vampire Diaries - Season 2 [DVD] [2011]
The Vampire Diaries - Season 2 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Nina Dobrev

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love love LOVE this season, 10 May 2011
Hate the Twilight craze with a passion, but love this show. The books aren't that good, but the tv version is so so engrossing. Usually, love triangles are really dull, but this one manages to keep it exciting (without being cheap).

The broadening-out of the universe this season is particularly awesome. Yay for bringing US shows onto UK TV!

Also...this show is funny. Not wet-your-pants funny, but witty.

History of a Pleasure Seeker
History of a Pleasure Seeker
by Richard Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars I judged a book by its cover and I liked it, 10 May 2011
I've only read the Drowning People by Richard Mason and that was years ago so my memories are hazy, but I wanted to give this one a try...because I liked the cover when amazon popped it up as a recommendation for me.

But thank you, amazonbots, because I really really enjoyed it! It was gripping and naughty (think The Crimson Petal and the Black but without hookers and with a beautiful boy). Beautifully written, too. I could really picture it all, which I can't always do (I tend to skip description!). A great read!

Page: 1 | 2