Profile for CaptainKatana > Reviews

Content by CaptainKatana

CaptainKatana

Page: 1 | 2
Gildan Men's Bayern Munich Bastian Schweinsteiger 31 Soccer Cotton T Shirt Large
Offered by The 12th Football Shirt

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but poor quality, 29 Jun. 2015
Package arrived in good time. Nice design. But after 2 or 3 washes, the numbers just peeled off the back.

Taking Care Of Business
Taking Care Of Business

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 20 July 2014
This is great song but the sound quality of this live version is so poor, verging on unlistenable.

L Brown Monkey
L Brown Monkey

5.0 out of 5 stars arrived in good time and well packaged, 20 July 2014
Was a gift, arrived in good time and well packaged.. Thanks! Would recommend

RoboCop
RoboCop

2.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Need This, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: RoboCop (MP3 Download)
The inclusion of part of the famous 1987 score by Basil Poledouris turns out to be a red herring in terms of excitement and personality on this score. It only appears once on the whole album, which in a way I can understand - Bromfman may have wanted to have a real go at this by himself to make his mark on the movie. On reflection, it would be a much better album if there were a couple of variations of it later in the album.

It does have an intense feel throughout most of the score - which is what you'd expect - but nothing really grabs your imagination. There's no real strength behind most of it, it's just your average movie score music and you are likely to become more and more frustrated as you get closer to the end - I know I did. It supports the movie just fine but it doesn't LIFT the movie like a Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer score. On that note, it makes for a rather boring and frustrating listening experience.

I do prefer scores with longer tracks, which is just a personal preference of mine. I believe that allows the listener more scope in picking out and savouring their favourite cues and makes listening to the score and enjoyable journey all on it's own, regardless of the movie it is written for. This album is mostly full of very short tracks, and while not as bad as 'The Wolverine' (Marco Beltrami), it is still another one of those scores that, in the end, you just don't need to buy.

Shame, really.

Hydra
Hydra

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Fine On My Stereo!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Hydra (MP3 Download)
There's a lot of comments on this about the sound quality being poor. Whilst I will accept that it isn't perfect - it isn't as bad as some people are making out. I listen to most of my music in the car and in the gym - and this album gets no complaints from me. Maybe if you're listening really loudly on a state of the art system then you might encounter problems, I don't know. For those who may have complained about the sound quality of Metallica's Death Magnetic - this album sounds a lot better than that when the volume is up.

With that rubbish out of the way, I will say that this is the first WT album I have purchased. My opinion, therefore, is not tainted by previous releases and I cannot - and will not - compare it to older albums that may or not be widely regarded as the band's best.

This album has opened the door for me in terms of wanting to hear more from WT, so in my case, I would say that is a success.

At least 7 out of the 10 songs on here are nothing short of fantastic. Melodic, operatic, heavy and beautiful all at the same time.

Let me tell you how this whole thing played out for me. I saw the album advertised and thought I'd give it a listen to see what I thought. I haven't ever been tempted by WT before but for some reason this was different. Perhaps it's because I've recently started listening to similar band (Nightwish), perhaps it was just the cover, maybe it was an accumulation of a lot of things - but when I first heard 'Let Us Burn' I knew that I was going to buy the album. Fantastic from start to finish, this track really grabbed my attention and my imagination.

The addition of Xzibit has got some fans' knickers in a twist - but why? It's one song on one album, and to me, it sounds great. He adds a different dimension to 'And We Run'. This is what makes great albums in some cases - variety without deviating too far from the script. It seems that because of who he is, this song has received some bad reviews. To me, it keeps the album exciting and fresh as you move through the tracks.

'Dangerous' and 'Whole World is Watching' are other highlights - as well as 'Paradise' which, ironically for me, features Tarja. I had never been interested in Nightwish (having heard several of their more famous songs) until I heard Imaginaerum, which was fronted by Tarja's replacement, Anette Olzen. Here, Tarja sounds absolutely wonderful. It's funny how these things work out, sometimes.

Again, this album has made me want to hear more of this band. It has also given me new appreciation for Tarja Turunen and even Howard Jones (of Killswitch Engage). I know all of Xzibit's old albums but maybe there's someone out there inspired enough by his performance on 'And We Run' to dig into his back catalogue.

A significant album on this listener's journey through the genres. 4 stars.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 10:09 AM BST

The Wolverine
The Wolverine
Offered by Entertainment Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough, 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Wolverine (Audio CD)
I bought the soundtrack almost immediately after watching the movie at the cinema. Despite several negative reviews on the film, I actually enjoyed it - but the score does not match up to it, in my view.

There are some emotive and moving parts, no doubt. But those moments are fleeting and few - so many of the 22 tracks are under 3 minutes long (in fact, some are only just over 1 minute) and this makes it difficult to digest and pick out your favourite tracks. It feels at times like a collection of sound bites, rather than an album of songs.

I listened to it twice just trying to wrap my head around it, but unfortunately, now that it is in my collection, even my favourite tracks on the album do not compel me to choose this score over another when travelling, training, or relaxing. There just isn't enough genuine quality on it.

It's a score that, for me, didn't really need to be released in this form. As harsh as that sounds, it just doesn't stand well on it's own, unlike Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight Rises, The Last Samurai, or Steve Jablonsky's Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises

5.0 out of 5 stars Bombastic and Emotive, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Dark Knight Rises (Audio CD)
I'll begin with a simple headline:

Hans Zimmer is a brilliant composer and this is absolutely one of the best scores he has written.

I've been a fan of Zimmer's work for quite a few years, now. I've had a penchant for movie soundtracks ever since I was very young. From the sublime sounds of 'Robocop', to the majestic theme of 'Superman', all the way to the towering classic that is the 'Terminator' theme - you simply have to love this stuff. Most people will simply hold an appreciation for the main themes of these films, but some of us are inspired to delve deeper into the soundtracks.

For the fans of the 'Dark Knight' trilogy - this has been an extremely rewarding journey.

From the very beginning, this soundtrack captures the imagination. The haunting and ominous introduction eventually gives way to the crushing power of Bane's theme - a theme so strong that it compliments the Bane character perfectly. Selina Kyle's theme follows this, and feels like somewhat of an interlude - or a rest, depending on how you look at it.

As we go through the rest of the album, it fluctuates between the intense and the mysterious until we come to a truly awesome triple header - 'Why Do We Fall?' drags us from tragedy all the way to victory in the space of two minutes - then we're left hanging for 23 seconds with 'Death by Exile', which eventually leads us to the thumping mastery of 'Imagine the Fire'. The first 2-and-a-half minutes of this is pure class - everything you would expect from a movie score of this type and a composer of this quality - it is one of those moments that makes you wonder how on Earth composers come up with this stuff. Then, it degenerates into a meandering, yet intense track, and reintroduces the Bane chant. Things quieten down for 3 more minutes ('Necessary Evil') before the final crescendo.

I could write an article on 'Rise' all by itself. The track starts off with a loud, intense (there's that word again) introduction, and then fades out until all we hear is a solitary voice. We are, again, taken on a journey through so many twist and turns - you literally feel yourself turning the corners of this journey for 6-and-a-half minutes until the very last gasp of power that this album has to offer - the final seconds sound like nails been hammered into a coffin, yet, somehow, leaving some questions unanswered.

There's no point downloading one or two tracks of this album - you simply won't get the full enjoyment that they have to offer when listened to in succession. If you absolutely must only get one - I would suggest 'Rise', simply because it has a beginning and an end, and is a great example of what can be done with 7 minutes and 15 seconds of music.

Absolutely terrific.

The Crusade
The Crusade
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Hot and Cold, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Crusade (Audio CD)
When discussing and reviewing this album, the name 'Metallica' seems to come up a lot. Whilst I can see the logic in the comparison - the change in style from the older, harder stuff into a more accessible sound, yet keeping a 'heavier than usual' presentation, the constant 'Trivium-are-trying-to-be-Metallica' rubbish frustrates me to death. No, 'The Crusade' isn't a good as 'Ascendancy', but that doesn't make it a bad album.

Great bands make great albums, and great bands sometimes fail to meet that standard again - but this doesn't mean that follow-up efforts are not good records. If you NEED to bring Metallica into it, then look at 'Master of Puppets'. Nothing they've done since 1986 has matched it - but they've made plenty of great records since then.

'The Crusade' is a perfect example of this. Yes, there are blatant attempts to create 'stadium anthems' that do come across as somewhat contrived - Anthem (We Are the Fire), for one. Some of the lyrics are a little too specific for my liking and therefore the songs have limited appeal (I've often said the same of Megadeth and Avenged Sevenfold - but these are bands that still create fantastic records, despite this).

It is an attempt at a change in direction - there's no question about that and there never has been. Whatever Trivium's reasons were - it is what it is. If you didn't like this album in 2006, I might suggest that you to listen to this without thinking too much about what Heafy and co did before (and after) this - you might be able to enjoy it a bit more.

There aren't quite enough great songs on this to garner it a 4 star rating. But there are songs that you would not want to exclude from a Trivium compilation or live set list. The brilliance of 'Ignition', 'Detonation', 'Entrance of the Conflagration' - along with the title track - are enough to get this album 3 stars. You need those songs. Sadly, however, you don't need the rest.

Ascendancy [CD + DVD]
Ascendancy [CD + DVD]
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening Doors, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Ascendancy [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
2013.

Not that 'Ascendancy' NEEDS another positive review - but sometimes you just feel compelled to add your own spin on things.

There are already plenty of track-by-track reviews of this album right here on Amazon. This isn't one of those.

When I first heard Trivium, I was already a big fan of heavy metal - but there were sides of the genre I still didn't 'get'. The heavier, hardcore, screaming side. I was already a lover of the 'obvious' bands - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Megadeth, and Rammstein (if you can put them in this category), and even more obscure outfits such as Dream Evil.

However, I still hadn't been completely sold and still wasn't 100% comfortable with the heavier style of heavy metal. I'm mainly talking about screaming vocals. Whilst I already had an appreciation for certain exceptions to my rule, one song being 'At The Left Hand Ov God' by Behemoth - it was a proverbial door to a room that I would carefully creak open and quickly shut, time and again - until I found Trivium's 'Ascendancy' album.

Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr was on a free CD with Kerrang! magazine, and this would provide my first encounter with the band. I remember loving the intro but skipping the track when I heard the screaming vocals. Then I tried it again. And again. I was drawn in, somehow. When I heard the chorus, I was blown away. Of course, the chorus is sung with a much cleaner vocal style. I figured if the chorus on this song is so good, and the guitar work is so fantastic - the album MUST have some other gems on there. After reading some extremely positive reviews - I bought it. This was in 2005.

Firstly, I tolerated the screaming verses just so that I could enjoy the terrific choruses and the unbelievable solos and guitar and drum work. Then, I got used to the screaming. Then I gained a respect for it as a technique - and eventually I began to love it.

At least half of the songs on this album absolutely blew me away - something that only got better as I my feelings towards the screaming vocals were improving. Choosing a favourite is impossible for me.

The other reason this album is so important to me is that it blew that old proverbial door open, and allowed me to explore this other realm of metal that I had previously only taken glimpses at. Now I had the love for the screaming, nothing was off limits.

Over the years I've added so much more music to my collection that I would have never even been interested in, if not for 'Ascendancy'. Soulfly, Satyricon, Marduk, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Overkill, and Kreator, to name just a few off the top of my head, are all bands that I became interested in - all coming with their own journeys and stories - whilst retaining the love for all the other bands I already knew. Also, my appreciation for Behemoth finally got past that one, solitary song.

Recently, after years of 'musical experimentation' into other bands and, yes, other genres - I was searching for something new again. Choosing a CD to put in the car, I was drawn to 'Ascendancy'. Having not listened to Trivium since 'In Waves' came out in 2011, I'd had a couple of years away, listening to other things. Sure enough, when 'Ascendancy' went back into the CD player for the first time in at least 2 years, the metalhead in me got a giant shot in the arm and I was blown away all over again.

Then I found out that Trivium are releasing a new album later this year...

Listen to it. Listen to it again. And if you don't own it - buy it.

Lulu (Amazon Exclusive Slipcase Edition)
Lulu (Amazon Exclusive Slipcase Edition)
Offered by DLC_MUSIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Violence! Depression! Blood! Offensive!, 6 Nov. 2011
Fair enough, it's more of a Lou Reed thing than a Metallica thing. I am a Metallica fan. I have never invested any time in Lou Reed's music (until Lulu), so I've never got into it. After listening to this, I don't plan on investing any more.

There are a couple of moments near the start of the whopping double-disc album when I thought it was really going to take off. Those moments were fleeting. Before long, I found myself utterly frustrated with the direction of the piece. I won't single out any songs, here, because frankly the only impression any of them leave on me is one of disappointment.
Actually, I will - Cheat On Me - it's so annoyingly repetitive that I actually shouted 'I don't know!' as Lou Reed asked 'Why do I cheat on me?' for seemingly the hundredth time. Somehow I must have thought I could have helped the song move on to something less irritating.

I have a long journey to work, so I have had plenty of time to give it a chance in the car. I can't think of a time in which I would want to listen to this ever again. It's too obtrusive to be background music, but there's not enough going on within it to be enjoyed - in my opinion. I certainly won't be listening to it on my way to work again, or on my way home to my girlfriend, or in the gym, or sat at home when I'm trying to relax. It honestly sounds like an old man rambling over a metal band having a jam in their garage. That's not intended to be disrespectful to Lou Reed. That's just what it sounds like.

While the lyrics are intended to be violent, sick, menacing, depressing, and offensive - spewing out of Reed's mouth over the repetitive and unimaginative Metallica riffs - they just sound disingenuous and contrived. I know it's a concept album. I don't FEEL any of it. The only thing this album makes me feel (and I don't want Lou and Metallica to take this as a compliment) is dead on the inside.

The fact that there is barely any singing may not be an issue to some people. As a Metallica fan, I would have enjoyed it more had James got to do some more singing, but that's my opinion. Perhaps if Hetfield and Reed were to share the vocals 50/50, I would have enjoyed the album a little.

Some Lou Reed fans may enjoy this. I don't know what his previous albums were like. I can only rate the album based on MY opinions and musical experiences, of which there are many. I'm not reviewing this as a closed-minded metal head who won't accept anything that sits just outside of the norm. I'm reviewing it as a person with a vast and varied taste in music.
You've all heard someone (probably a parent) listen to one your CDS and say 'This isn't MUSIC' - well, I can accept almost anything, but Lulu is as close to 'not being music' as music gets.

It's a bad idea, and it's poorly presented.

I would think that a large number of Metallica fans will dislike it.

People who like a good chorus, or enjoy singing along to music, will also be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2