Profile for Micmat > Reviews

Hey Venus!
Offered by RevivalMedia
Price: 7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont Run Away!, 4 Sep 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
I have to admit that I'd never really taken to SFA before. I had a couple of their albums but they didnt do much for me. Then I heard "Show Your Hand" recently and I was blown away and since picking up the album its been a permanent fixture in my CD player.
It really is lovely stuff. Full of mellow psychadelic acoustic fun, along with one or two more raucous affairs.
The standouts, for me, are 'Run Away' with its classic motown beat and Beach Boy esque harmonies and 'Carbon Dating' and 'Battersea Odysey' both sounding as if they could be straight from the Syd Barrett song book.
I will definately be venturing to pick up the rest of SFA's back catalogue and hoping they are as rewarding as this.

A Clockwork Orange (Penguin Modern Classics)
A Clockwork Orange (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Anthony Burgess
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Horrorshow!, 4 Sep 2007
Alex is a fifteen year old boy. But not any old fifteen year old boy. He is a twisted, sadistic, violent fifteen year old boy. He is the self proclaimed leader of his gang, his Droogs, and between them they set out on a hideous rampage of rape, torture and murder. Then Alex is imprisoned for his crimes and the state, via mind control, tries to reform him.

Now, to say that this book is anything other than a masterpiece is utter nonsence. It stands alone, in my opinion, as one of the greatest works of 20th century literature. I understand the problem that some may have with the language, its written in nadsat talk coupled with russian slang and made up words by Burgess, but this just makes it more of a rewarding read.
True, the story is ultra violent but it never once inflicts its reader to detailed descriptions of the horrors, although you always know full well what is going on.

I urge everyone to just pick it up and give it a go. If you dont like it then fair enough but to not give it a chance would be a crime. The times that I picked it up and then put it straight back down I lost count but when I finally gave in I had found one the best books ever written. Genius.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2008 4:18 PM BST

Thirst For Romance
Thirst For Romance
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy!, 27 Aug 2007
This review is from: Thirst For Romance (Audio CD)
I have to say that I was a little wary of this album when I first bought it. I had heard 'Mathematics' a few months earlier and it had collected up more than 100 plays on my iPod, no song in a long time had got me as excited. Then 'People Help The People' was released and that also blew me away. So when the album came out I was doubtful as to whether it could keep up with this high standard, how wrong was I. It really is a beautiful record. Full of chiming melodies and thoughful lyrics, every track has a wonderful hook and Simon Aldreds Morrisey esque voice lights it up. There are hints of Badly Drawn Boy, Elbow, Suede and even country greats like Willie Nelson. The aformentioned tracks are for me the standouts, but 'Dead Mans Suit' and '4am' are just as good.
I cant really say much more about this record. Its just brilliant. Amid all the dross thats around today its nice to see that some are still capable of making music this good.

Puddle City Racing Lights
Puddle City Racing Lights
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 4.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, 24 Mar 2007
Windmill, AKA, Matthew Thomas Dillon, has created a majestic other-worldly, ethereal album. Sounding like a mish-mash of The Flaming Lips and Neil Young.

The album flits between lo-fi piano ramblings and string laden sweeping epics. His fragile voice puncturing the atmosphere like a knife through butter. Standout tracks are "Tokyo Moon" which is the greatest song the Flaming Lips never made and "Newsflash" with is gorgeous Ben Folds esque piano noodlings and enough emotion to knock down an Elephant.

This is one of those albums that will go totally unnoticed like so many great albums of recent years have. If I was to make one recommendation this year then it would be this album. It is totally magnificent.

Wincing The Night Away
Wincing The Night Away
Offered by westworld-
Price: 15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of 2007 already?, 29 Jan 2007
This review is from: Wincing The Night Away (Audio CD)
After the quirky jangly pop of their debut "Oh, Inverted World" and the stripped back acoustic joy of 2003's "Chutes Too Narrow" The Shins have created what can only be described as pure musical heaven.

Moving their sound on, "Whincing The Night Away" is the bands most experimental album yet. Hip Hop beats, touches of psychadelia and synths accompany 11 wonderful tunes but still remain the Beach Boy esque harmonies, killer melodies and James Mercer's beautifully surreal lyrics.

Opening track "Sleeping Lessons" wafts in on a wave of delicate keyboards and hushed vocals before exploding half way through into a crescendo of guitars. The albums first single "Phantom Limb" shimmers along with skyscraping emotion and those great summery harmonies. Other stand outs are the strange "Sealegs" with its Beta Band esque hip hop beat and the gorgeous acoustic ballad "Red Rabbit"

At the end of this year this album will undoubtably be in every Best of 2007 poll around. Its an album of unmatched craft and beauty and deserves all the praise it gets.

Everything Must Go 10th Anniversary Edition
Everything Must Go 10th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Manics album, 21 Jan 2007
This was first released back in 1996 and was the first Manics album without Richey Edwards. The shouty brash punk of previous releases, Generation Terrorist and The Holy Bible are replaced by anthemic terrace songs and lilting acoustics. "Australia" "Enola/Alone" and the classic "Design For Life" are the stanouts from the original album but this has so much more, two discs more!

The Brits performance of "Design For Life" the scratchy demos of "Australia" and "The Girl Who Wanted to Be God" not to mention various b-sides, live festival and TV appearences. What a great album.

Passover
Passover
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Beauty, 5 Jan 2007
This review is from: Passover (Audio CD)
Reveling in 60's sounding psychedelia a-la, The Velvet Underground and the Doors and also taking in the fuzzed up feedback of 80's stalwarts The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine. The Black Angels have conjured up one of the best albums of 2006.

Awash with wah-wah drenched guitars and the forbodding mutters of Alex Maas, songs like "The First Vietnamese War" and the sublime album closer "Call To Arms" are just too good to pass up. This album is a must for any true music fans collection.

Jeff Tweedy: Sunken Treasure - Live In The Pacific Northwest [DVD] [2002] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Christoph Green
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 6.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Tweedy at his best., 25 Dec 2006
Being a huge fan of Wilco and also his previous band, Uncle Tupelo, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this.

It follows Jeff Tweedy on his Pacific Northwest tour. Armed with just an acoustic guitar and occasional backing from Wilco bandmates this is an intimate affair. The stripped down versions of Wilco classics such as "ELT" "Shot In The Arm" and "Heavy Metal Drummer" are a joy to behold. His banter with the audience and pre show interviews are also great in what is overall a great DVD.

Gulag Orkestar
Gulag Orkestar
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Gypsy Folk Beauty, 30 Nov 2006
This review is from: Gulag Orkestar (Audio CD)
Every now and then someone comes along who's musical scope, ambition and talent blow all the others out of the water. Zach Condon, the man behind Beirut, is that someone.

Wailing violins, erie accordians and crackling brass light up this collection of gypsy folk songs. The exotic cachophany of "Prenzlauerberg" the Stephen Merritt tinged "Scenic World" and the albums highlight "Postcards from Italy" which sounds like Morrisey hiding behind the Iron Curtain, are just a handful of the wonderous beauty that is Beirut.

Price: 7.48

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this but..., 8 Nov 2006
This review is from: 9 (Audio CD)
Being a huge fan of 'O' I, like many others, have waited patiently for what seems like an eternity for new material. I, again, I guess like many others, were counting the seconds until we could get hold of this album.

Well, here it is and...well...its just not very good. Dont get me wrong its not awful or anything, there are some good songs. "Grey Room" and "9 Crimes" are as good as anything on 'O' and "Elephant" is ok. But as for the rest, well, there isnt much to write home about. I would have to say that "Rootless Tree" is the most disappointing track here, simply because it starts off so promising with a lovely guitar intro but then for some reason decends into a repeated tirade of the "F" word in the chorus, which for me spoils it.

Well its not great and its not bad but I expected so much more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6