ARRAY(0xbab55c48)

by Martin E. Atkinson
Price: 48.49

3.0 out of 5 stars First impressions not good, 23 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very unlike Amazon, this book arrived in a bit of a shoddy state. Often with the Vine program you might receive items not fully finished, and be made aware of this beforehand, but the condition of this book is more like the last one in the shelf that no one else wanted, rather than incomplete. However, I've tried to bypass this in my review however it isn't something I'd be too happy with had I paid full price for it. Like an earlier review I did, with this being designed for long term use, I have to wonder whether a hard cover edition would be more appropriate - surely I few pounds more on top of the current price wouldn't make too much difference. The book starts off with a number of wonderful colour diagrams, which even a novice like me was able to understand, along with a vast text explanation which gets more and more complicated as it goes on. In my mind I expected this to just concern the teeth and mouth, so I was pleasantly surprised that it actually features the majority of the body which made for interesting reading. Obviously this is designed for a particular market, and its unlikely I will be using this as a frequent reference book in my house, but I definitely felt I was able to understand the majority of this so I can only see it being a big help to students of dentistry.

Alcohol: Science, Policy and Public Health
Alcohol: Science, Policy and Public Health
by Peter Boyle
Price: 70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly informative, 23 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Please note, I am in no way involved in public health so I am not writing this from an informed point of view but more one of general interest. In my opinion, and differing from that on the back of this text, I'm not convinced that this book is for public health professionals to aid in their treatment of those with alcohol related problems, but more for students and those looking into the historical context and evolution of alcohol consumption. The references, at the end of every chapter, are great and offer clear direction for those looking for further reading. It also utilises a number of graphs and other similar ways of collecting data to paint an interesting picture even for those with little knowledge of the area. I'm not convinced the oil paintings pictured in the early part of the text have any place in this book, but on the whole this is a concise (even if over 400 pages) text which would be a great help to those looking into the long term view of alcohol in society.

The Student's Guide to Becoming a Nurse
The Student's Guide to Becoming a Nurse
by Ian Peate
Price: 24.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, 23 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this book to my sister, who as a registered nurse I felt was more qualified to give an accurate review of this book than myself. On the good side, this is a great resource not only for those wanting to be a nurse, but those already in the profession. Clearly explaining the majority of situation a nurse can expect themselves to be in, and defining terms which could be confusing, this is a great reference guide to keep going back to and is definitely value for money. The only downside is that for a book of this size, and with a high use anticipated, surely a hardcover edition would be more useful. Recommended.

What the Best College Students Do
What the Best College Students Do
by Ken Bain
Price: 17.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 22 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought some of the reviews on here were rating this book too highly hence my curiosity made me order this. I've read a lot of 'self help' books and others which claim they will improve an aspect of your personal or professional life, but I strongly believe this book could be one of the rare ones which do actually help. Well worth reading.

Contemporary Strategy Analysis: Text and Cases
Contemporary Strategy Analysis: Text and Cases
by Robert M. Grant
Price: 46.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great combination of theory and practice, littered with case studies to give an ever greater understanding. Of no academic use to me, but I felt a lot more clued up after reading this so I would highly recommend it to business students and similar.

Winner Take All: China's Race For Resources and What It Means For Us
Winner Take All: China's Race For Resources and What It Means For Us
by Dambisa Moyo
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An interesting, easy to read and a general eye opening account of a topic that most of us will be well aware of but far more informed about after reading this. It might come across as a bit of scare mongering, but this is just an in depth look at China which includes a lot of information the tv and papers don't write about. Recommended.

Intelligent Governance for the 21st Century: A Middle Way Between West and East
Intelligent Governance for the 21st Century: A Middle Way Between West and East
by Nicolas Berggruen
Price: 15.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Probably a great book for someone with a keen interest in this subject, but I found the channel hopping from one continent to another all too confusing and would much have preferred if this were dealt with individually. For me, having little to no interest in this subject, it was interesting but I didn't feel I learned anything worthwhile.

Strategic IQ: Creating Smarter Corporations
Strategic IQ: Creating Smarter Corporations
by John R. Wells
Price: 19.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a refreshing take on modern business books, with so many choosing to go down the route of bombarding the reader with facts and figures, but this one, although conveying the same message, doing so via wit and fun to make it interesting but still highly knowledgeable. Probably not going to make a huge difference to my working life, but well worth a look all the same.

Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
by Ruchir Sharma
Price: 25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Definitely a case of dont judge a book by its cover. It looks and feels boring, but clearly the author is hugely clued up on this subject and after reading this I felt like a great deal of that knowledge had been passed onto me. Highly recommended.

Governing the World: The History of an Idea (Allen Lane History)
Governing the World: The History of an Idea (Allen Lane History)
by Mark Mazower
Price: 25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A meaty book, 15 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a meaty and heavy going book, one of those that seldom stops for a rest and just continues to bombard you with knowledge. As a novice to this, I found it quite hard reading at times and wasn't sure if I got to grips with what the author was saying, but it wasn't too challenging to make me give up on it. Will update further when I have finished reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17